Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #13461
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
Pretty sure that the surgery that there is disagreement. I believe this MMA Fighter, https://www.instagram.com/funkmastermma/, had the same surgery done in the middle of April. Seems to be back training pretty hard as of the past few days.
Yeah, sorry, I knew there's disagreement on it, but I wasn't sure who was on which side.

Does Eichel want the surgery and the Sabres want him to go with traditional rehab, or vice versa?

Presumably, any team that would be looking to acquire him would also be in favour of doing what he wants.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #13462
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, sorry, I knew there's disagreement on it, but I wasn't sure who was on which side.

Does Eichel want the surgery and the Sabres want him to go with traditional rehab, or vice versa?

Presumably, any team that would be looking to acquire him would also be in favour of doing what he wants.
From what Friedman has reported, Eichel wants to do this surgery and the Sabres medical staff aren't onboard. Yeah, likely any team acquiring him would need to be ok with Eichel having the surgery.
The Following User Says Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #13463
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Buffalo does NOT want him to have the surgery.
The Following User Says Thank You to GS Skier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #13464
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Eh. He really didn't hold anything at the blue line this season. He was brutal on the PP for that reason, and when he did try to shoot, stick always snapped. He's better of at the point 3/4 D man, PK time.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #13465
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, the Sabres doctors advised against the surgery after Eichel didn't like their suggestion of rest and rehab and went and got a second opinion.

I don't blame either side for digging in on it either.

It is a huge red flag for any acquiring team though.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:41 PM   #13466
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah, the Sabres doctors advised against the surgery after Eichel didn't like their suggestion of rest and rehab and went and got a second opinion.

I don't blame either side for digging in on it either.

It is a huge red flag for any acquiring team though.

I’m not sure how he can be traded until he’s proven healthy. The acquiring team is just taking too much of a risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #13467
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I’m not sure how he can be traded until he’s proven healthy. The acquiring team is just taking too much of a risk.

If a trade is going to take place, the acquiring team would be allowed full access to examine and talk with the player
Old 06-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #13468
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel has his own long term interest at heart more than the Sabres. To me it’s end of story with that point. These aren’t street surgeons. If the surgeons he’s consulting are saying he’ll be fine, with even higher contact UFC fighters having this, I doubt he’s truly risking his well being by doing this. Just seems like two philosophies and either won’t budge. I tend to blame the Sabres as they don’t seem to be a very understanding organization at the ownership level. So what if he takes an extra few months to recover? But dig your heals in and this situation happens.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #13469
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If a trade is going to take place, the acquiring team would be allowed full access to examine and talk with the player

Of course, but it sounds like with differing opinions etc. on the course of treatment he should take, looking at the records of what he has isn’t going to give the acquiring team 100% confidence.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #13470
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Of course, but it sounds like with differing opinions etc. on the course of treatment he should take, looking at the records of what he has isn’t going to give the acquiring team 100% confidence.

They would have their own doctors examine him and the procedure.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #13471
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They would have their own doctors examine him and the procedure.

Yes, but my point is that it appears there is a lot of conflicting opinions and uncertainty.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the best opinion you might end up with is “yeah, that might work “.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #13472
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The surgery choice is kind of a no trade clause in itself.

It's already been reported teams (Rangers and Kings) have pulled out because they side with the Sabers.

I wonder what the divide is in the league. Like is it a 50/50 split? 70/30 for the Sabers side?

It's going to be an interesting trade market for Eichel.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #13473
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
The surgery choice is kind of a no trade clause in itself.

It's already been reported teams (Rangers and Kings) have pulled out because they side with the Sabers.

I wonder what the divide is in the league. Like is it a 50/50 split? 70/30 for the Sabers side?

It's going to be an interesting trade market for Eichel.
I suspect any team that’s currently rebuilding might put the brakes on acquiring Jack Eichel. Would be a devastating franchise move to suck for a few years, sell off assets, then add future pieces only to give them away for a guy who has to retire next season because doctor’s have advised him not to play the sport ever again.

The Flames on the other hand are in a unique situation. We can gamble because we’ve been bleeding chips for so long that we’ve basically reached “all in” territory. So if we acquire Eichel and it blows up in our face, we rebuild. If we don’t get Eichel, we probably should rebuild anyway. Fans are unlikely to revolt in either situation, so we’re kind of in a good spot to go hard after Jack Eichel.

In the end, the more teams that drop out of the race, the better our chances. Should be a fun offseason.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #13474
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man if all this is true why would any team trade for Eichel?
Old 06-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #13475
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
From what Friedman has reported, Eichel wants to do this surgery and the Sabres medical staff aren't onboard. Yeah, likely any team acquiring him would need to be ok with Eichel having the surgery.
And then be OK having him out of action to start the season, and potentially for quite a while. Other players that have had back and neck surgeries in the offseason go on to miss 40+ games and aren't 100% until the next season.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:26 PM   #13476
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Man if all this is true why would any team trade for Eichel?
Because GM’s are desperate desperate fools.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #13477
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
And then be OK having him out of action to start the season, and potentially for quite a while. Other players that have had back and neck surgeries in the offseason go on to miss 40+ games and aren't 100% until the next season.
Eichel would be ready to go at the start of the season from the sounds of it. This from a doctor interviewed by The Athletic

One surgical option is to replace the disk with an artificial one. This is a quick and simple procedure with a recovery time of 2-3 months. Rehabbing and delaying surgery risks a more serious injury that could lead to fusion surgery. That would come with more long-term complications and a longer recovery time. Even if Eichel’s injury doesn’t get worse next season, it could still bother him enough that it hurts his performance
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #13478
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would still trade for him. Done with perpetual mediocrity.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 11:05 PM   #13479
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Eichel would be ready to go at the start of the season from the sounds of it. This from a doctor interviewed by The Athletic

One surgical option is to replace the disk with an artificial one. This is a quick and simple procedure with a recovery time of 2-3 months. Rehabbing and delaying surgery risks a more serious injury that could lead to fusion surgery. That would come with more long-term complications and a longer recovery time. Even if Eichel’s injury doesn’t get worse next season, it could still bother him enough that it hurts his performance
Peyton Manning had a fusion surgery.

He can’t feel his fingertips anymore.

If the experimental surgery Avoids a fusion one, I can see why Eichel wants it and I don’t see why the Sabres don’t.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:58 PM   #13480
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Peyton Manning had a fusion surgery.

He can’t feel his fingertips anymore.

If the experimental surgery Avoids a fusion one, I can see why Eichel wants it and I don’t see why the Sabres don’t.
Yep. It goes to show that player and team are done with each other. Sabres can't even hold even long enough to make a trade with another team. Oilers east.