Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #3061
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I want to get a power meter on both my left and right crank or pedal to measure my left versus right disparity (I had major knee surgery on my left knee 2-3 years ago and I'm trying to even things out). Does anyone have any recommendations? I think my left leg is around 80% the power that my right is.

Go with 4iiii. Extra bonus, they are a Cochrane based company.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #3062
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I want to get a power meter on both my left and right crank or pedal to measure my left versus right disparity (I had major knee surgery on my left knee 2-3 years ago and I'm trying to even things out). Does anyone have any recommendations? I think my left leg is around 80% the power that my right is.
I have Favero Assioma dual sided pedals and I love them. They're rechargeable so you don't have to worry about swapping batteries. Easy to take off and switch to different bikes. They're the best value on the market for pedals right now, being a few hundred dollars cheaper than Garmin.

I usually get a couple months or 1500km before I get the 25% charge notification.

You can get cranks for less but I like the versatility of being able to swap to different bikes easily. I bring them with me when I'm traveling to throw on rental bikes.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #3063
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I have Favero Assioma dual sided pedals and I love them. They're rechargeable so you don't have to worry about swapping batteries. Easy to take off and switch to different bikes. They're the best value on the market for pedals right now, being a few hundred dollars cheaper than Garmin.

I usually get a couple months or 1500km before I get the 25% charge notification.

You can get cranks for less but I like the versatility of being able to swap to different bikes easily. I bring them with me when I'm traveling to throw on rental bikes.
I have the same as K train, I have 5 bikes, everyone has a powermeter now with 2 minutes to swap the pedals and reset the pedals in the app.
If you have multiple bikes the pedals are the way to go.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #3064
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking for a good bike for my daughter- She's 5'7 or so, mostly pathway riding- looking to spend 700 or so. It's a HS grad gift but heard no stores have stock- Any recommendations for who may have something in stock would be greatly appreciated
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #3065
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ridley's has some rockhoppers in stock

https://www.ridleys.com/product/spec...5-387922-1.htm
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:28 PM   #3066
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I biked the Legacy Trail from Canmore too Banff and back today. Put 45 kms on the new bike, it's not a long ride compared too the ones I see on here but it's my longest of the year so pretty happy with it. That's a nice trail, I was surprised how busy it is

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016

Last edited by flamesfan1297; 07-29-2021 at 09:21 PM.
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 08:06 PM   #3067
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Looking for a good bike for my daughter- She's 5'7 or so, mostly pathway riding- looking to spend 700 or so. It's a HS grad gift but heard no stores have stock- Any recommendations for who may have something in stock would be greatly appreciated
Saw on Instagram that Calgary Cycle Bow Trail & Canyon Meadows have some Trek Marlin 6’s in stock. Probably around $1000 so maybe a little expensive but perhaps worth a look
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 12:06 AM   #3068
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Go with 4iiii. Extra bonus, they are a Cochrane based company.
Another +1 for me on 4iiii. I have their power metres on my S5 and my Huru. My only complaint about them is with their app. Since I have two bikes that each have a power meter, I want the app to show me both. This is where you can see the battery life in them (one per side) and do a zero offset (calibrate). My issue is that they only allow you to sync up with one bike. I guess you could sign up a second email account and add the information to it, but you'd still have to sign in and out every time. I contacted them a year ago when I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working for me, and they said it's designed this way.

I am not a pedal power meter person. I don't like switching pedals between bikes. If I had 10 bikes, I'd just put a power meter in each of them. This is a personal preference, and I haven't heard anything bad from my friends that have the pedal power meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:59 AM   #3069
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know most don't want to hear it, but some bike shops are already getting in their orders of winter biking equipment. I picked up a new pair of studded tires from BikeBike yesterday. May be good to get what you need now.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #3070
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Another +1 for me on 4iiii. I have their power metres on my S5 and my Huru. My only complaint about them is with their app. Since I have two bikes that each have a power meter, I want the app to show me both. This is where you can see the battery life in them (one per side) and do a zero offset (calibrate). My issue is that they only allow you to sync up with one bike. I guess you could sign up a second email account and add the information to it, but you'd still have to sign in and out every time. I contacted them a year ago when I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working for me, and they said it's designed this way.
I don't use their app. I've got devices on both my Emonda and my Tri bike, and synced to both my Edge 520 and my ForeRunner 920 on Ant+. Super easy. I can calibrate them from there also. I supposed the only thing I may be missing out on is battery status, but I haven't replaced the coin batteries yet. Maybe it will give me a low battery warning like my HRM strap does.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #3071
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's crazy how well a small Cochrane company has done. Dynastream Innovations started it all with ANT and worked with Garmin developing their products. When Garmin bought them out, Kip went on to start 4iiii. He could have retired, but I guess he likes to work.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #3072
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I biked the Legacy Trail from Canmore too Banff and back today. Put 45 kms on the new bike, it's not a long ride compared too the ones I see on here but it's my longest of the year so pretty happy with it. That's a nice trail, I was surprised how busy it is
I would recommend driving a bit further and riding highway 1A it is nice and quiet, and with the wide roads, you Don’t notice the other people as much
Old 07-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #3073
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
You could get a speed/cadence sensor to attach to a spin bike. Those would then connect through bluetooth to your phone/tablet and Zwift. I'm not sure how accurate the speed and distance would be though as they take wheel size into consideration and a spin bike likely isn't standard. You would typically stick or zip tie it to crank arm and hub but that wouldn't work if you're on and off different bikes. A heavier elastic would work.
Would buying power meter pedals and putting them on a public spin bike when I use it be a possible option? Would that even work?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #3074
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Would buying power meter pedals and putting them on a public spin bike when I use it be a possible option? Would that even work?
Yeah, that would work as well. A little more work for each ride but you'd get much better accuracy.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #3075
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I don't use their app. I've got devices on both my Emonda and my Tri bike, and synced to both my Edge 520 and my ForeRunner 920 on Ant+. Super easy. I can calibrate them from there also. I supposed the only thing I may be missing out on is battery status, but I haven't replaced the coin batteries yet. Maybe it will give me a low battery warning like my HRM strap does.
Mine is also synced to my Garmin. I calibrate from my Garmin as well, but I’m saying the app has that feature. The only things I use the app for are setting up the power meter and finding out what battery is low. When one battery is low my Garmin will give me an alert, but it doesn’t say which side. If one completely dies it reverts to doubling the power output on one side, but it’s always there same side on the outputs, so you can’t tell that way either. If you open the app and spin your pedals, it shows you the percentage each battery is at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #3076
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
yes that might work however based on my several years on various gyms spin bikes, some of their pedals may or may not be easy to remove (either with pedal wrench or allan key). At one point some gyms started forbidding the changing of pedals due to too many pedals and cranks getting stripped.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #3077
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You’d think they could create something to strap to the bottom of shoes and make it almost like an indoor cycling version of the footpod that Garmin has for indoor running.

But don’t most spin bikes have a power meter incorporated into them?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:09 PM   #3078
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You’d think they could create something to strap to the bottom of shoes and make it almost like an indoor cycling version of the footpod that Garmin has for indoor running.

But don’t most spin bikes have a power meter incorporated into them?
I thought of that too. Might be hard though as the entire footbed would need to be a sensor and then how to extrapolate from there whereas a pedal has such a small area of force that all goes into the pedal. Shoes are so inefficient.

The older spin bikes were pure resistance knob, then gradually there was a little more like a small heads up showing speed rpm power and/or level. The better ones now are like Peleton and have an iPad-like display that integrates with some system/environment.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:59 PM   #3079
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm spending a few days in Golden next week and will be bringing my road bike. I know there's lots of MTB trails but are there any decent routes for road riding?
Old 08-08-2021, 09:17 AM   #3080
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone a pro with the Giant D-fuse seat system? It's creaking and driving me nuts, have cleaned it, lubed it, torqued it to spec, overtorqued it... Always comes back and I'm at my wits end.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote