Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #681
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I blame Colin Jost.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:16 PM   #682
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Yea but you read the text of her lawsuit, Disney is not trying to drag her name through the mud here, seems like the other way around here. ScarJo is alleging the simultaneous release on D+ was intentionally done to defraud her of earnings without justification. That seems like a very flimsy argument at best... like pandemic anyone?
Lol. Did you even read the article?

Quote:
As part of the suit, they share emails from the star’s management group that asked the studio to guarantee that “Black Widow” would premiere exclusively in cinemas. In response, Marvel Chief Counsel Dave Galluzzi promised a traditional theatrical bow, while adding “We understand that should the plan change, we would need to discuss this with you and come to an understanding as the deal is based on a series of (very large) box office bonuses.”
Quote:
When Warner Bros. opted to send its entire film slate to HBO Max, realizing that movie theaters were only operating at limited capacity for much of the year, the studio had to pay tens of millions of dollars to the stars of those films. That resulted in actors such as Will Smith, Denzel Washington, and Keanu Reeves earning their full back-end on the movies that Warner Bros. released on its new service.
Not only that, they called her callous and are implying she’s a gold digging scumbag for wanting her payday, when they earned billions on the back of this franchise.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #683
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Lol. Did you even read the article?

Not only that, they called her callous and are implying she’s a gold digging scumbag for wanting her payday, when they earned billions on the back of this franchise.
Yes I read the article and there was no point anyone imply her to be a scumbag or a gold digger and Disney's stock price increasing is just incidental. The lawsuit is again implying the intent of that decision is to screw her out of money which will be hard to prove. Basically it sounds more like Marvel said it's still theatre release, theatres worldwide couldn't accommodate at the time, Disney forced the issue on Marvel after failing to come to some kind of agreement with ScarJo's legal team by some kind of internal deadline.

We're not privy to all the internal communications so we'll have to see how that plays out. Chances are they are going to settle well before it goes to courts anyways.

EDIT: I didn't read the Disney response to the lawsuit only the original article. Yea I can see how that kind of response is gonna damage your other actor relations that's tone deaf at best.

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-29-2021 at 06:58 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:34 PM   #684
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
EDIT: I didn't read the Disney response to the lawsuit only the original article. Yea I can see how that kind of response is gonna damage your other actor relations that's tone deaf at best.
Yeah, terrible response by them. They're seemingly using the pandemic as a scapegoat. Of course they are going to pay more due to delays related to it, all studios will, but pay your contracts. Not really any way around that, nor should there be. I hope she wins.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420887545047625730
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 08:48 PM   #685
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I bet Disney wouldn't have responded this way to RDJ. Go get them, Scarlett.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #686
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pandemic would probably count as force majure.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #687
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
All they had to do was treat the premier access dollars the same as theatre dollars for her contract and there would have been no issue. But Disney is too greedy for that
Bingo. I’m shocked that people would defend Disney in this instance. If the contract stipulates that compensation is based on box office revenue from the theatrical release and then Disney releases the movie on a separate competing medium — irrespective of the reasons why they did it — and refuses to compensate ScarJo based on that release’s revenue too (again, that release cannibalizes the box office revenues), that’s a scumbag move and Disney should get its ass kicked in court for doing so.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #688
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Pandemic would probably count as force majure.
Is it cynical to think that she wants to recoup some cash out of Disney because she knows she's a victim of a Pandemic but also knows that they have the money to pay her?

I understand her frustration and maybe she should become an advocate against eating under-cooked Pangolin broiled in bat guano or something, but this isnt her fault and it isnt Disney's fault.

But Disney has literal vaults of money and she has been a good, loyal soldier for a really long time. She got screwed by circumstance.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #689
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Mega corporation against a multi-millionaire. Can't say I care which side wins. Let the courts decide.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #690
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no sympathy for either parties.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #691
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Mega corporation against a multi-millionaire. Can't say I care which side wins. Let the courts decide.
If Disney is this blatant about screwing over a huge star like ScarJo, imagine how they treat people/actors/creators who don't have her level of fame or power? They're genuinely a terrible corporation. Regardless of how people feel about ScarJo specifically, this case could be really important and have pretty big implications for Disney and how they're viewed in the industry.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #692
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah this is ScarJo taking the hit for the little guy because if they sued Disney, mickey would just have the little guy killed and no one would notice or care.

Even for ScarJo, the only reason she's doing this is because she's done with Disney. Also why they're probably happy to screw her too, she's not going to be making them anymore money from now on.

Does it help that she has massive financial interest in this? Sure but the fact she's helping literally everyone else involved by doing this can't be ignored.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #693
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
If Disney is this blatant about screwing over a huge star like ScarJo, imagine how they treat people/actors/creators who don't have her level of fame or power? They're genuinely a terrible corporation. Regardless of how people feel about ScarJo specifically, this case could be really important and have pretty big implications for Disney and how they're viewed in the industry.

Yeah Disney's history is pretty terrible here, e.g. all the authors of tie-in books like Alan Dean Foster where Disney bought the rights but claimed they weren't obligated to honour the contracts and stopped paying royalties.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #694
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Are we all just forgetting that Disney took children's fairy tales...which were old and ergo 'free use' and monetized the ever-loving hell out of them?

If I were to categorize Disney I'd say....they're the old witch from Hansel and Gretel.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #695
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Little guys don't get percentages of revenue. I think most Hollywood actors finally understand the difference between revenue and net income now, took a lot of explaining with hand puppets to get that one straight.

The little already got paid, they're just salaried. ScarJo got paid too for the work she did, just not her full remuneration according to her. Maybe she should read contracts and try to comprehend them.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #696
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad you don't employ people.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #697
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

ScarJo is in the right here. It doesn’t matter at all how rich she is or how well Disney shareholders are doing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:21 AM   #698
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I have no idea who is in the right and I have a hard time caring. That is why I said let the courts decide.

BTW I watched Black Widow yesterday afternoon and myself and my brother were the only people in the theatre. The movie was entertaining enough but nothing special. 7/10.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #699
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Sure but the fact she's helping literally everyone else involved by doing this can't be ignored.
LOL how so? If she wins is she going to distribute money to everyone else involved? This is nothing but rich folks arguing about their slice of the big pie. I couldn't care less which side wins.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #700
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
LOL how so? If she wins is she going to distribute money to everyone else involved? This is nothing but rich folks arguing about their slice of the big pie. I couldn't care less which side wins.
I don't know. If it's between a corporation and an artist I typically side with the latter based upon numerous principles.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote