Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #21
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's gotta be tough for male narrators to do female character voices without sounding ridiculous. Stephen Fry is excellent on audiobooks but his Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter audiobooks is cringeworthy.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #22
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Well I'm a bit annoyed that amazon gift cards don't work with Audible.

Anyway, I signed up with Audible about a year ago and love it. Looks like I purchased/redeemed just under 30 books or free audible originals for the year, but I admittedly quit on about 1/3 of them. I'm fine with that- its a different world from reading a book and takes a while to figure out the genres work for you if even a small percentage of your attention is elsewhere.

I'm utilizing the return feature sparingly, although I am not sure how cautious you need to be on this? Anyone know? Just be honest with returns and Audible wont call you on it? I generally only claim a return if I quit fairly early in the book. Perhaps returned 3 over the year. Used my monthly credits, purchased the 3 credit pack a couple times and purchased a few books individually- although the credit pack seems to be the best option unless you are dealing with books on sale.

Favorite audiobook of the year for me had to be The Pillars of the Earth, and favorite audible original was West Cork.
I have returned a lot of books to Audible. Probably returned twenty last year at least. After one day when I returned several books in one go they did block the feature, but as soon as I contacted customer service they reactivated it for me.

I was using it pretty much the way you describe also, basically only returning a book if I haven't found it enticing enough to listen far into it.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

"I'd do it for sure. I'd be lining up to stab kids with forks." - OMG!WTF!
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #23
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

The War of Art By Steven Pressfield
Shoe Dog By Phil Knight
The Hard Thing about Hard Things By Ben Horowitz
It By Stephen King

Are a few of my favourites.

My LinkedIn Profile

Last edited by J pold; 02-05-2019 at 07:58 PM.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'm about 8 hours in 11.22.63 by Stephen King and it's fantastic. The novel is presented in first person and narrator is owning the character. Definitely worth adding to your listening list.
I read that one (versus audiobook) and loved it. Good recommendation.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #25
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
It's gotta be tough for male narrators to do female character voices without sounding ridiculous. Stephen Fry is excellent on audiobooks but his Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter audiobooks is cringeworthy.
I bought Stephen Fry narrating the complete Sherlock Holmes collection. It's around 72 hours long. I hope he does a better job with female characters in this.

I read 11.22.63 so I can't comment on the audiobook but I agree that the story is among his best. The audiobook for the Mist is great if you get the dramatic reading with "3D" audio. I'm not sure if that version is on Audible.

If you like fantasy the two Kingkiller Chronicle books are worth a listen.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: