Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #1021
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That episode was a big step backwards. Seeing the D7 battle cruiser was indeed cool, but other than that one moment, I have absolutely zero interest in the Klingon plot line on this show. From a story perspective, it's kinda boring, dumb, messy, and just...meh.

And I'm still not a big fan of the makeup and voices for these Klingons. You can tell they purposely tried to make them look slightly more traditional for this season (the forehead ridges in particular), but they still don't really look or sound like they're supposed to IMO, which is kind of annoying and takes me out of the story.

I really wish they'd get back to the kind of mission oriented stand-alone episodes like last week. Do more of those and I'll happily continue to tune in. But if they keep churning out sub-par episodes like tonight, I'm gonna lose interest very quickly. The Orville is kicking this show's ass right now.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:30 PM   #1022
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
That's what the entire show is really about.

I get that, but its what really made me lose interest in TNG in the later years where it became the Picard and Data show and everyone else was pretty much furniture.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #1023
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Apparently last week's episode is the precursor for a spinoff series based on Section 31 and starring Michelle Yeoh.

The speculation is that this new series would start after season 3 of Discovery.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/02/06/wri...ready-started/

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-07-2019 at 09:51 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #1024
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly DS9 did a really good job with the whole Section 31 thing, I really enjoyed that story line.

I guess I would have trouble with any series though that a clandestine group with a motto of any road to victory and no moral center as the protagonists.

I also just can't get into Michelle Yeoh having her own series mainly because she was so terrible.

Tonights episode was ok, I liked the main story line of it.

Spoiler!

Old 02-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #1025
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #1026
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty good episode last night. Saru is arguably the best character on the show at this point, followed closely by Captain Pike. Doug Jones and Anson Mount are both terrific.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #1027
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I enjoyed last night's episode. I thought the translator virus was a great idea and I don't remember seeing it on Trek before. It makes sense that in a world of universal translators, no one would bother learning another language.

I'm pretty forgiving with Discovery and Trek in general. I just like it. But the Klingon makeup aggravates me. It's so bulky and disjointed. TNG created so many distinct races with some actual depth (sorry TOS), I don't know why the show runners thought they need to stray from it.

Hopefully we get a "new" faction of the Klingon Empire that follows the old/warrior ways and they go back to looking like Klingons should.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #1028
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I enjoyed last night's episode. I thought the translator virus was a great idea and I don't remember seeing it on Trek before. It makes sense that in a world of universal translators, no one would bother learning another language.

I'm pretty forgiving with Discovery and Trek in general. I just like it. But the Klingon makeup aggravates me. It's so bulky and disjointed. TNG created so many distinct races with some actual depth (sorry TOS), I don't know why the show runners thought they need to stray from it.

Hopefully we get a "new" faction of the Klingon Empire that follows the old/warrior ways and they go back to looking like Klingons should.

I actually cringed hard at the whole universal translator thing because I think it was a couple of weeks ago that they really emphasized the Federation Standard or common language. You would think that on a Federation Starship that you would have to be able to speak federation standard to prevent something like this from happening.

Out of that whole episode the translater thing really grated me the most, I don't know if they meant it to be comedy or what, but there were better ways to go.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #1029
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
That's what the entire show is really about.
And why it sucks so much. Just kidding, kind of.

The show is project runway meets JJ Abrams lens flare. Every once in a while they will have some cool story or character stuff. It feels like they are trying too hard for a PC modern office vibe - like what every dreamy eyed HR person thinks the modern workplace is. Entitlement and accommodation for all! Romulans, Klingons and even Andorians would crush this melodramatic version of TFoP pretty quickly IMO.

The second half of last season was watchable. But how the Klingons stole defeat from the mouth of victory was stupid. Noted conquerers, yet they tripped over themselves at the finish line.

I'll stick to DS9. At least there they drowned the corny episodes with heavy introspection, tons of defeat and gloom.

When's the next season of the Expanse popping up on Amazon, again.

(Couldn't resist the troll. As you were)
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #1030
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I actually cringed hard at the whole universal translator thing because I think it was a couple of weeks ago that they really emphasized the Federation Standard or common language. You would think that on a Federation Starship that you would have to be able to speak federation standard to prevent something like this from happening.

Out of that whole episode the translater thing really grated me the most, I don't know if they meant it to be comedy or what, but there were better ways to go.
But the virus was making them "speak" different languages. Not their native languages. So it's likely the case that there is a native, universal language but the translator was forcing random languages on them.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #1031
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like it's following tradition this season so far of having the even numbered episodes be the ones worth watching.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #1032
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Green's acting this year has just been terrible as she just can't pull off emotions.
This is probably the biggest reason I can't get fully on board with Discovery - I hate Burnham and how Green plays her.

She plays the character with 2 settings:

1. Like a 21st Century cosplayer trying to imitate a Vulcan but coming off as an annoying robot.

2. Like a blubbering CW character that just whines and overemotes on the slightest ting.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #1033
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just caught up on this last night. Why do they keep going to the Spock well? Leave it alone!

This show would be so much better, and make so much more sense if it came after TNG. As it is they come up with all these ideas, some of them even interesting, but in the time frame we are supposed to be operating in it doesn't make any sense. They had no reason to set the series when they did. Leave the past in the past.

And all the Klingon stuff is just bad. Queen whatsit sounds like she is talking through a silicone breast implant. They look silly. The voices are annoying. And I just don't care at all about the story, but you know it's going to go on and on becuase they pretend it is important.

I really want this show to be good, but it feels like I'm watching Walking Dead around season 4 and later. you know there is a lot of potential, but they keep donkeying it up.

That being said this last episode was better, and at least had some sci-fi concepts to it. But they try to cram to many stories into an episode. A whole episode dedicated to the one core concept would have flowed better.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:21 AM   #1034
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The episode this week was meh at best. Plot was all over the place.
-Save a species in spore land from a monster.
-Reincarnation of a dead crew mate through a cacoon
-Section 31
-Black Ops
-Search for Spock because the dude has a connection with 7 red dots
-Human living with a Klingon spirit and being a Klingon love slave is back in SF
-Love for Tilly

Love the visuals but too much going on and not enough time for character development
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #1035
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They really need to stop craning so many storylines into one episode all the time, it actually causes people to miss out on details.

Spoiler!

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #1036
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another weak episode crammed with too many storylines. I love Trek and I'm generally a patient guy when it comes to the overall franchise, but I'm just about done with this show. Hopefully the upcoming Picard series can somehow revive the brand, because it's currently taking a beating with the painfully mediocre Discovery.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #1037
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Another weak episode crammed with too many storylines. I love Trek and I'm generally a patient guy when it comes to the overall franchise, but I'm just about done with this show. Hopefully the upcoming Picard series can somehow revive the brand, because it's currently taking a beating with the painfully mediocre Discovery.

Am I the only one here who thinks season one stank so bad, and season two has been awesome?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #1038
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks season one stank so bad, and season two has been awesome?
It's definitely better than season 1, I'll give it that. And the visuals/effects are well done. But overall it's just not a very good show IMO, despite some decent performances.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #1039
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Season one was complete stank, season two is better, well parts of it are better.

Pike and Saru are the highlight performers on the show, whenever Pike steps in for those brief moments you get sanity.

I don't know who decided to make Michael's character change from her proto Vulcan of last year, but she's such a terrible actress when it comes to portraying emotions of any kind that it almost pulls you right out of the show. And the whole super genius who makes the rest of the crew look sub intelligent because she's awesome is annoying as hell.

The other thing I noticed. The one thing that I really liked was at the first few episodes of the season they tried to flesh out the rest of the bridge crew, make them seem like more then cardboard cutouts, but last night they abandoned that. Frankly they could CGI people into the bridge doing Empire work and nobody would care.

To me what makes good episodic TV is that you can take the main plot point from start to end and it makes sense. The problem here is they've got a billion plot points, the Red Angel, Spocks insanity, the Klingons, section 31, Tilly's story line, Michael and her messed up family, all interspersing and then they throw more plot lines in. Its almost like the writers are just throwing flash cards at a sticky board and the ones that stick are that weeks episode.

Its almost like this series is actually written by Steven King with a concussion.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #1040
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I actually like this season as well. People complaining about this could make the same arguments against STTNG. I didn’t think season 1 was the catastrophe it is being made out to be, it could have been tightened up but it was still enjoyable and watchable. I am not expecting Breaking Bad or The Wire here.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote