Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #21
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Got to keep the group fresh, rotate in every once in a while. Better than only coming in when there's injury in my opinion, and keeps competition active
Exactly. That's why Mike Smith is on pace for 80 games this season.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #22
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This doesn't make any sense at all.

Matt Bartkowski isn't good enough to play for the Oilers. Kulak has been miles better.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theinfinitejar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #23
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fans can be drama queens sometimes. They possibly swap out the #6 d-man for a game and the outrage begins.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #24
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I can see changing things up after a loss or of course an injury, but coming off one of the better games of the season? With a days rest?

I personally don't get it. If it is true, hope it doesn't backfire.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #25
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Exactly. That's why Mike Smith is on pace for 80 games this season.
Smith was on fire early and Gulutzan correctly played him and won us a couple extra games because of it. He will play less going forward, assuming Eddie doesn't drop the ball completely.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #26
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Got to keep the group fresh, rotate in every once in a while. Better than only coming in when there's injury in my opinion, and keeps competition active
This would make sense if Kulak was struggling or even on teetering on the edge... but he's not. He's been great.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #27
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just think he wanted to skate longer? I don't see this as he will be scratched tomorrow and we all know how reliable Calgary insiders are.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #28
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Fans can be drama queens sometimes. They possibly swap out the #6 d-man for a game and the outrage begins.
I don't see much outrage, more like confusion.

Who knows, maybe Kulak is playing and this discussion is all for naught.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #29
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Feel bad for Kulak if it's not an injury. Seriously, what does he have to do to keep a spot at this point?
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #30
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Long season. They have depth at #6. Nothing to worry about.
Sure there is. Kulak is playing well and the Flames are coming off one of there best games of the season. Terrible judgment to out in Bartowski unless there is an injury we don't know about.

That said, at this point its an educated guess that Kulak is sitting so we will have to wait and see.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #31
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
it's a (seemingly) odd decision. It's not "outrage" here it's a group of people scratching their heads at GG going off and being a silly goose with this call (notwithstanding there's a reason for it).
Old 11-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #32
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Showcasing him for a huge trade
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #33
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
it's a (seemingly) odd decision. It's not "outrage" here it's a group of people scratching their heads at GG going off and being a silly goose with this call (notwithstanding there's a reason for it).
The important thing is to make several angry, steadfast posts about it before we even know it's true.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #34
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Showcasing for a trade. Come on. Fingers crossed
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #35
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
The important thing is to make several angry, steadfast posts about it before we even know it's true.
What about my posts is angry? Maybe your interpretation is off.

Not everything that is negative is stated "angrily". The only ones over-reacting here are the folks that trip over themselves in an attempt to defend ridiculous decisions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #36
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I'm also unhappy with substituting Bart in, this is what I believe to be the reasoning behind it.

The Blue Jackets are the size and skill deal, creating chances off the cycle and through an aggressive, physical forecheck.

But one thing of note is that they are hurting very, very badly for scoring now. Like, imagine if Monahan and Gaudreau were on 50pt paces, that's how bad it is. They've attempted to replace offense lost through Hartnell / Saad with Panarin, but they're very aware they won't be able to score goals the way our team does with speed, vision and skill. Furthermore, they are in a division where they're often facing stalwarts between the pipes:
  • Schneider
  • Murray
  • Holtby
  • Lundqvist

Furthermore, sprinkled throughout the rest of their conference:
  • Price (I know he's in a downturn but still)
  • Vasilevskiy
  • Rask
  • Luongo

And on top of all that, their snipers have gone cold. So without all this scoring prowess and having to face a murderer's row of goaltending in their division, how does one create offence? You do it the meat-and-potatoes way. Stapling someone's butt in front of the goalie at all times. Beat the other team up on the boards with your size, force mistakes, and create mucky chances on net.

Having Smith be on his A-game isn't going to faze them one bit when they're facing potential Vezina challengers in net practically every game. The Jackets will have someone parked in front of him, I would bet on it. And be throwing hits all game.

That's where Bart comes in. The Flames need their defencemen to turn into the surliest grumps possible if that happens, and Bart loves physicality. He will throw himself into the fray even though he's more slight. And while he handles the puck like it's a cinderblock, at least he can skate well enough to not be wildly out of position... I hope.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #37
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Showcasing for a trade. Come on. Fingers crossed
Showcasing who Lol?

Bartkowski has zero value. Literally one of the worst d men in the league. 31 teams could have had him for free and only Calgary picked him up mid season.

If he does draw in, it won't be showcasing.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #38
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jack Adams decision making right here folks
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #39
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don’t love the move if true; hope it is for one game MAX if true. Kulak has played great this year.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
While I'm also unhappy with substituting Bart in, this is what I believe to be the reasoning behind it.

The Blue Jackets are the size and skill deal, creating chances off the cycle and through an aggressive, physical forecheck.

That's where Bart comes in. The Flames need their defencemen to turn into the surliest grumps possible if that happens, and Bart loves physicality. He will throw himself into the fray even though he's more slight. And while he handles the puck like it's a cinderblock, at least he can skate well enough to not be wildly out of position... I hope.
Good thinking. I had a similar thought as to why the potential substitution. Although I don't dislike Bartkowski as others might - a team needs all their players over the course of the season- I think, if this is in fact the reason, it's an example of the coaching staff overthinking or allowing their preconceptions to take over.

Kulak is playing great, skating well and moving the puck smartly. The idea he can't keep up his level against a physical opponent is wrongheaded IMO. You have to let Kulak experience that style if the plan is to have him an everyday player. Maybe his skills can negate the forecheck with speed to get out of the zone fast. Rather than inviting play in your end with a guy who will withstand the physicality. The Caps had heavy players and the combination of Smith's passes to Kulak (et al) and Kulak's quick thinking and passes got CGY out clean and on the attack.

I'm not a fan of platooning Kulak against certain teams especially when his game is going good. This notion of Kulak not being strong or not being able to pin guys effectively is not taking into consideration his increased confidence and growth in his game. Coaches are overthinking. Why change a winning lineup?

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 11-21-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post: