Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #21
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't doubt that Brouwer would probably step in to fight him if he thought that he targeted Smith's glove hand, but to me if seemed like the lead-up to the fight started right off the face-off, and Smith was just in proximity.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #22
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I don't want to sound condescending but has anyone even watched the video? Or what happened? Abdelkader was tripped and fell into the crease where his stick accidentally made contact with Smith.

Brouwer over reacted and as did Smith. This was not a "he stood up for his teammate moment" it was a dumb over reaction to a play that didn't need retribution. Stupid fight and a broken cheek bone to Abdelkader. Something he didn't deserve.

I know right? Especially after Brouwer had the benefit of watching the slow mo replay from 5 different angles in that split second before he decided in the heat of the moment how he was going to react.

EXACTLY how I want every player to react 10/10 if they even think that Smith has been messed with. Too many years of watching too many soft players skate away when Kipper used to get bumped. And if there's every a retaliation penalty given it's 2 minutes well earned. Guarantee that Smith would bail their ass out on the PK.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rtown For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #23
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I don't want to sound condescending but has anyone even watched the video? Or what happened? Abdelkader was tripped and fell into the crease where his stick accidentally made contact with Smith.

Brouwer over reacted and as did Smith. This was not a "he stood up for his teammate moment" it was a dumb over reaction to a play that didn't need retribution. Stupid fight and a broken cheek bone to Abdelkader. Something he didn't deserve.
No one deserves to have bones in their face broken. Agreed on that point.

That said, how ever you see Abdelkader's stick making contact with Smith, shortly before the Abdelkader contact, there was another player who took an opportunity to make some heavy contact with Smith which he was pissed about.

Shortly after that, Abdelkader came in, stick made contact with Smith and I'm sure Smith had some choice words for Abdelkader and Abdelkader chose to turn around and say something back while standing in front of Brouwer, rather than skating away. Whatever the exchange was, Brouwer took exception and laid the beat down. I'm sure most expect this reaction from Brouwer everytime.

Abdelkader could have kept skating away but instead tried to act like a tough guy. If you ask me, he fully deserved the beat down.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #24
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer stood up for a teammate and people still find ways to bash him.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #25
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Troy Brouwer won A LOT of my respect back for him with that pounding.

Still hate him as a player for the most part, but that was probably the first time I've ever actually smiled and cheered for Brouwer.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #26
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Abdelkader 'accidentally' (on purpose) does a lot of things.

Maybe he'll think twice next time.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #27
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hate all the armchair coaches. We have no idea the words exchanged and Brouwer obviously decided it was enough to go beast mode on the guy which is something almost everyone has complained he rarely does as a Flame so I’ll definetely give him the benefit of the doubt it was warranted. It’s Hockey not Figure skating. Abdelkader is a tough player who’s made his career playing on and sometimes over the line im sure he’s fed some shots to the back of players heads too. I’d play human frogger to make what some of these guys make. Not going to feel bad for the guy who catches a couple shots to the back of his helmet cause some people feel it’s “unethical”. That being said hope he heals quickly and he’s a player I’d love to cheer for if he were on my team.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #28
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't come near our goalie, don't touch him, don't talk to him....or get your ass handed to you.

Sounds good to me
Old 11-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Don't you always complain about the Flames being soft? Besides there was no instigator...willing combatants
Old 11-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #30
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Don't you always complain about the Flames being soft? Besides there was no instigator...willing combatants
You're correct on one thing, he always complain about the Flames, period, what the complaint is about depends on the day and his mood.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #31
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Can you ever not say something negative?

Players get in fights over nothing all the time. Brouwer stuck up for Smith. Be happy. It's the first good thing he's done as a Flame
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #32
IGGYFORMVP
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Don't come near our goalie, don't touch him, don't talk to him....or get your ass handed to you.

Sounds good to me
Just wanted to reply to this. This is exactly the type of thing that builds a team. I guarantee you that Smith loved to see Brouwer stand up for him. This is exactly the identity we need to build.
IGGYFORMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IGGYFORMVP For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #33
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Atta boy troy
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #34
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I sat right against the glass and had a front row seat watching the fight, from several feet away. Brouwer was throwing bombs standing above a keeled over Abdelkader, who was definitely out of the fight. It looked to me that Troy was punching at the side of the face and not punching to the back of the head. I did have several heroine beers in me along with a plate of nachos, so my memory may be a little messed up.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #35
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hockey is a bully's game. It's silly to pretend otherwise.

Personally, I like the idea of the crease area being a complete no-fly zone. Don't talk to the goalie, don't even look at him - otherwise, you'll get punched in the face and we'll break your cheekbone without a second thought.

I've been waiting for an attitude like that for fifteen years.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #36
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You're recollection of events that happened in games is a little off a lot eh. The clip is posted in this very thread yet your explanation of events doesn't match.

If by tripped you mean Abdelkader slashed and cross checked Brouwer after the puck drop, and then got pushed down.

Last edited by Flames_Gimp; 11-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #37
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Adbelkader's accidental stick is about as accidental at Tkachuk facewashing Quick in a scrum or elbowing Doughty, or Kassian's stick on Sam Gagner's face. Dirty players / agitators make their living by making deliberate moves look like accidents on nothing plays.

It also coincidentally happened just 2 plays after Smith was hit on the hand with a puck and still in serious pain, and the stick just nonchalantly hit the same arm.

Good grief man.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote