Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #3281
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
Lucas Meyer‏ @meyer_lucas
Also Bettman is here for this. #yyc #NHL

Oh yay. Is he going to offer to be the neutral third party that facilitates their negotiation again?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #3282
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

How does King still have a job?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #3283
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've generally been supportive of a new arena collaboration, but this is stupid. Screw you Calgary Flames, go move to Seattle. Whine and complain because we won't give you half a billion dollars+? Thanks for pushing me to vote for Nenshi again when I seriously was considering options.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #3284
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Did you know British novels are sometimes "translated" into American English for publication in the USA, but left in the original for Canada? There's a reason for that, and it's not because Canadians are smarter enough to know a "boot" is a car's trunk.
Right. It's because British publishers like to keep all Commonwealth rights, including Canada, and sell the British editions of their books here, while auctioning the U.S. rights to American publishers. Whereas American publishers like to keep North American rights, and sell the American editions here, while auctioning the overseas rights. It has absolutely squat to do with Canadian culture.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #3285
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad Treliving and Glen Gulutzan must hate the timing of this. I guess never a good time though.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #3286
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I wouldn't say this at all.

the "younger generation" is far more global and will flock to the sport that provides, to them, the most entertainment. That generally means the best players in the sport, whether that is hockey, soccer, football, baseball, basketball, anything.
All professional sports leagues (including the NHL) are having problems attracting and keeping younger fans. Focusing on a game for 3 hours just doesn't suit the modern entertainment lifestyle.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #3287
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

From Nenshi's campaign website

Quote:
A new arena - I support a new arena, and certainly there is enormous benefit in having a NHL team and an arena in the downtown core, but it has to be the right deal for Calgarians - a made-in-Calgary solution that meets our unique needs during this fragile economic recovery. Built north of the Saddledome, in the heart of Victoria Park, a new arena could host sporting events and concerts throughout the year. I believe that we can develop a win/win funding model that works for both the taxpayer and CSEC (the owners of the Flames). The funding model must be based on the principle of public benefit for public money. The City will never walk away from the table and I will work hard to reach the right deal.
http://www.nenshi.ca/district

Last edited by Torture; 09-12-2017 at 05:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #3288
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

oops double post
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #3289
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

CSEC is really bad with the media, and KK is the worst mouthpiece you could possibly have. It's perfectly reasonable to not jump on anything KK has presented to this point (as much as we want it to happen). He's been beyond incompetent.

Really feels like they don't give a #### about the fans when they come out and say things like this. Putting their egos and pissing match with Nenshi ahead of the fans.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #3290
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

This pretty much eliminated any sympathy I had towards the ownership team in this process.

Nenshi just puts out a video and statement expressing that they should be able to come to a deal with cooler heads prevailing and we get this the very next day?

Come on.

I'll cheer for the players in Seattle, but I won't be buying tickets!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #3291
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nvm
Old 09-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #3292
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Why do people think that the BS on Nenshi's campaign site is any different than the BS coming from KK/owners?

He says that he's for a rink, as long as it provides public benefit, and then says that a rink doesn't provide public benefit if it uses any public dollars.

Both sides are full of ego and bs, no need to vilify only the owners because Nenshi's a better wordsmith.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #3293
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Why do people think that the BS on Nenshi's campaign site is any different than the BS coming from KK/owners?

He says that he's for a rink, as long as it provides public benefit, and then says that a rink doesn't provide public benefit if it uses any public dollars.

Both sides are full of ego and bs, no need to vilify only the owners because Nenshi's a better wordsmith.
one side is presented as open, the other closed.

BS or not, it's all about optics at that point
Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #3294
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Maybe it's because the city has actually been been going over and above what they should be doing to help get a deal done.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #3295
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been trying to avoid this topic for as long as possible, so apologize for the ignorance but how did oiler ownership and Edmonton come to a compromise on the topic of new arena funding?

Can't it be used as a framework to a solution??
Old 09-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #3296
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Maybe it's because the city has actually been been going over and above what they should be doing to help get a deal done.
What actually has the city been doing, other than saying no?
Old 09-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #3297
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I've been trying to avoid this topic for as long as possible, so apologize for the ignorance but how did oiler ownership and Edmonton come to a compromise on the topic of new arena funding?

Sort of a different situation. They wanted to renew their downtown core. Calgary doesn't need that so the appetite for an arena deal isn't as there.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #3298
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

Katz said he wanted a bunch of free money, and Mandel helped him beat the council down to accept it.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #3299
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Football isn't dying so I don't know what that comment was about but the bolded is correct. This is why the Stamps want to go to a new indoor stadium as they are lagging with younger fans. I don't blame younger fans for not getting excited about the prospects of paying to watch a game in an archaic facility like McMahon or freeze their rear ends off in the fall. $10 or 20 million isn't remotely close to accomplishing anything so you are dreaming if you think that's what is "needed". The issue is that it's going to cost $80+ million and that is just a waste of money.
Football isn't dying, but the CFl is and action needs to be taken. Sure Saskatchewan and Winnipeg might have bit crowds in Their brand new stadiums, but it's dying in the major centers. I'm 35, work in a large office setting, and I can't think of a single person under 40 who cares about th CFL. NFL on the other hand, multiple office pools, viewing parties, Monday night football wings, etc.

3/4 of my office wouldn't take tickets to a Stamps Game for free. That's pretty sad. New building might change that for a few years, but it will be right back to the 28k hardcores that keep this team going assuming they haven't passed away by then or can even afford the jacked up ticket prices in the new stadium.

A new football stadium for this city should be nothing but an after thought although that hurts me to say that as a huge Stamps supporter and season ticket holder.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 09-12-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #3300
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Here comes the Seattle move threat
No problem Seattle. We'll trade you the Flames for your Amazon head quarters.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread