Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #3261
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
I follow the NFL because 3 down football with objectively worse players is something you couldn't pay me to watch. Actually, the only reason I have ever gone to stamps games is free tickets and beer, so you can bribe me to attend in person. There are few things I can think of that cause me more boredom than watching a CFL game
wait....you find a CFL game boring but are entertained by the NFL? Regardless of the minor difference in talent...how is the NFL more entertaining.....lower scoring and the game takes even longer!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #3262
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
wait....you find a CFL game boring but are entertained by the NFL? Regardless of the minor difference in talent...how is the NFL more entertaining.....lower scoring and the game takes even longer!
Um, what, the talent gap between the NFL and CFL is massive.

And a nine team league, really amps up the excitement!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #3263
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we not turn this thread into an NFL vs CFL debate?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #3264
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Can we not turn this thread into an NFL vs CFL debate?
I think its a little late for that now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #3265
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
Four downs gives so much more strategy on offence than run, throw, punt for 4 hours

Points on the board aren't what make football exciting to me
Old 09-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #3266
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The problem with the CFL is that its Canadian. The younger generation are much more ingrained in American culture and want to be more like Americans. They follow the NFL because it is inherently American, built up on hype and spectacle.
What? Are you just guessing or do you know this? It seems weird as in the 90's there wasn't a lot of patriotism amongst students for Canada and hearing people talking about wanting to go to America when they grew up was extremely common. Canada wasn't "cool".

Then around the 2000's Canada started to really separate itself from the States in positive ways and the US started to look more mean and cold, and there was a huge swing in patriotism. Canada became the cool place that students were proud to be from, and you still see that in spades amongst our age group today.

I can't see how that swung back the other way with how our two countries have continued in the same opposite directions. Was this anecdotal or did you read this somewhere? Seems very odd, if true.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #3267
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The problem with the CFL is that its Canadian. The younger generation are much more ingrained in American culture and want to be more like Americans. They follow the NFL because it is inherently American, built up on hype and spectacle.
You sure about that?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #3268
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd be all for renovating McMahon, I thought there was a study that came out that said it wouldn't make sense on a dollars basis given the age and concrete construction of the stadium though.

But as long as we're imagining renovation ideas, I'd agree with others that the concourses should built out and expanded. A balcony could definitely be built on the Western stands, to add bathrooms and space. When I went to watch the Rose Bowl I found it interesting that the concourses were all outside the actual stadium but inside the gates, so even though Calgary doesn't share Pasadena's weather we could still make that work here.

Another thing we could add is something like the West Jet Flight deck in Toronto for jays games, a standing area patio with tables and rails where people can come and go as they please. There's a dedicated fanbase of older CFL fans, the way the stamps should go is to entice more 20-30 hipster people to enjoy alcohol and football in the sun, the westjet flight deck is great for that. I they could take out some high-center bleachers and put a patio there, or on my own personal pipedream of a walkway connecting the southern portion of the east-west stands.

There's a lot of upgrades to be had to attract younger people. As long as they can tolerate watching only the second best football league in the world with all the substandard athletes
Old 09-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #3269
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What? Are you just guessing or do you know this? It seems weird as in the 90's there wasn't a lot of patriotism amongst students for Canada and hearing people talking about wanting to go to America when they grew up was extremely common. Canada wasn't "cool".

Then around the 2000's Canada started to really separate itself from the States in positive ways and the US started to look more mean and cold, and there was a huge swing in patriotism. Canada became the cool place that students were proud to be from, and you still see that in spades amongst our age group today.

I can't see how that swung back the other way with how our two countries have continued in the same opposite directions. Was this anecdotal or did you read this somewhere? Seems very odd, if true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You sure about that?
No guessing. It's been going that way for decades. Canadians love to proclaim they have a unique culture, but walk the streets of any Canadian city and you will be hard pressed to notice the difference between the locals and their American neighbors. They dress alike, they look alike (a few pounds lighter on the Canadian side), and they are even beginning to sound alike. The city scapes are the same, as are the malls. The cultural imperialism of the United States has greatly impacted Canada, and the adoption rate of things American is crazy. Consider the impact of media and entertainment on Canadian culture alone. Who are your favorite bands? Your favorite TV shows? Your favorite movies or movie stars? Who are your favorite media personalities? The ask yourself how well you know American history versus Canadian history? How well do you know American events as they happen? What are your favorite pass times? And on, and on. The literature from Sociological, psychological, mass communications, and political studies support this. Canadians have been the proverbial frog in the cultural pot, slowly coming to a boil. I still think Canadian values are different, and will take longer to change, but culturally there isn't much of a difference anymore.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #3270
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now you are moving the goalposts.

Your original argument was
Quote:
The younger generation are much more ingrained in American culture and want to be more like Americans[/B]
which is absolute garbage. Trying to defend it by suggesting that our cultures are substantially similar is laughable.

I have never met a Canadian that would like to be more like Americans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #3271
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eric Francis‏ @EricFrancis
Breaking: Ken King drops bombshell, saying owners no longer going to pursue new arena in Calgary.

King: "It's time we stopped pretending."

King spoke to Mayor and determined the city has no genuine interest in helping build a building. Talks over.

King re future of Flames in Calgary: "I don't know what this means."

King on the city's stance re a new rink: "their message is it's not going to work"

King "we're not shopping, we're not looking around." Bettman is here to help guide Flames forward

Last edited by jschick88; 09-12-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #3272
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
Breaking: Ken King drops bombshell, saying owners no longer going to pursue new arena in Calgary.

King spoke to Mayor and determined the city has no genuine interest in helping build a building. Talks over.

Here comes the Seattle move threat
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hendog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #3273
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good lord
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #3274
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

wut
Old 09-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #3275
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fack

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #3276
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Did you know British novels are sometimes "translated" into American English for publication in the USA, but left in the original for Canada? There's a reason for that, and it's not because Canadians are smarter enough to know a "boot" is a car's trunk.

That being said, popular entertainment is not the sum of all culture. Or even close to it.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #3277
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucas Meyer‏ @meyer_lucas
Also Bettman is here for this. #yyc #NHL
The Following User Says Thank You to jschick88 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #3278
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Making idiots of themselves yet again.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #3279
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Just electioneering. The civic election is starting up. Flames ownership have their preferred candidate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #3280
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Good thing they're not going to threaten to move and they'll just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post

King on the city's stance re a new rink: "their message is it's not going to work"
How do you determine the city has no genuine interest when the mayor just put out a frickin' youtube video with his idea for a new arena?
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread