Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #3221
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
That was me... I used to watch garbage movies while working at home because it actually helped me concentrate on work (I "watched" a lot of Vin Diesel movies). The better the movie was, the less I worked and the more minutes of the movie I watched. Unfortunately, like a chump, I now work a regular 9-5 so I do have to be more selective now.
Well I'm looking forward to your review of 'Valerian' and I understand completely as I got a fair bit of work done.

I have no idea what the hell that movie was about, initially I thought they were brother and sister as well but they introduced a fairly ham-fisted love angle, but I have no idea who the main character was, what the conflict was, anything really.

I thought the movie looked really cool. But it was not.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #3222
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
OK, so it took me FOREVER to get around to watching it, but Get Out is a masterpiece. Truly. I thought it would be fun, and have some interesting commentary, but it's such an exceptional piece of work. I've always admired Jordan Peele (of Key and Peele fame) but that was the work of a true auteur. There isn't a single part of that movie I didn't like or could find fault with. The stuff that works, is so effective that it makes your skin crawl and your brain fire on a bunch of different levels.

If you haven't seen this yet, I consider this must watch material. I know it probably won't get any awards this year, but it should.

A rare 10/10 rating from me.
I thought it was also excellent except the ending which kind of turned into a bit of generic horror movie stuff.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #3223
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thor was awesome. Dat synth in the soundtrack. And it had the 'feel' of a Taika Waititi movie (granted, I've only seen two of them previously, but still).

Looking to sell your old iPhone or get a great deal buying a new one? Check out Orchard
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #3224
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I didn't like the first 2 Thor movies much at all, thought they were very meh.

This one was fantastic though. Really great overall.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #3225
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Girl on a Train.

Did not like and I usually like Emily Blunt.

Cannot recommend. 1/5
Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #3226
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Girl on a Train.

Did not like and I usually like Emily Blunt.

Cannot recommend. 1/5
Plodded along the first half but I did enjoy the second half after the "twist"
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 10:46 PM   #3227
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I was at an advanced screening of Justice League tonight.

It's pretty entertaining. If you like smash-em-up superhero movies, it will fit the bill. I thought each of the main characters were well represented, with a slight bias toward Wonder Woman. That's not surprising given the success of the Wonder Woman movie.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #3228
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I thought it was also excellent except the ending which kind of turned into a bit of generic horror movie stuff.
There’s an alternate ending that’s a lot darker. I wouldn’t say it’s better but I think it fits with the theme of the movie.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #3229
sketchyt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I saw Justice League last night and will do this without being spoileriffic.

I'll be pretty biased because of two things:
  • Zach Snyder, to me, makes mostly terrible movies. Yes, even 300. Dawn of the Dead is good though.
  • Batman vs Superman is the worst movie I've ever seen in a theatre. This is not hyperbole.

Dialogue in JL was cringe worthy. When even Amy Adams makes you roll your eyes, you've got George Lucas-level dialogue.

Almost every non-action scene was essentially used for exposition. The MacGuffin was so incredibly dumb (and basically a poor rip off of Marvel's infinity stones). I couldn't take the villian seriously because of his name... also he was one of those villians that just evil because you know... he's just evil so please go with it.

Still, JL is better than BvS (not hard) and Suicide Squad (not better by much). If BvS was a one pound bowl of turd, JL would be like eating a bowl that's 80% turd and 20% good ice cream... I'm gonna argue it's still a full bowl of turd.

The good was The Flash was probably the highlight of the film. Aquaman was entertaining. Jeremy Irons would be good reading a dictionary. And those are essentially the main positive things about the movie.

I had some hopes JL would turn out decent because Wonder Woman was a good film and did a great job realizing a difficult character. Instead, JL made me realize that Gal Gadot is a pretty terrible actress. I also stopped counting at 5 at scenes where her butt was the center piece of the foreground... wait, I should've put this in the positive pile.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #3230
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I saw Justice League last night and will do this without being spoileriffic.

I'll be pretty biased because of two things:
  • Zach Snyder, to me, makes mostly terrible movies. Yes, even 300. Dawn of the Dead is good though.
  • Batman vs Superman is the worst movie I've ever seen in a theatre. This is not hyperbole.

Dialogue in JL was cringe worthy. When even Amy Adams makes you roll your eyes, you've got George Lucas-level dialogue.

Almost every non-action scene was essentially used for exposition. The MacGuffin was so incredibly dumb (and basically a poor rip off of Marvel's infinity stones). I couldn't take the villian seriously because of his name... also he was one of those villians that just evil because you know... he's just evil so please go with it.

Still, JL is better than BvS (not hard) and Suicide Squad (not better by much). If BvS was a one pound bowl of turd, JL would be like eating a bowl that's 80% turd and 20% good ice cream... I'm gonna argue it's still a full bowl of turd.

The good was The Flash was probably the highlight of the film. Aquaman was entertaining. Jeremy Irons would be good reading a dictionary. And those are essentially the main positive things about the movie.

I had some hopes JL would turn out decent because Wonder Woman was a good film and did a great job realizing a difficult character. Instead, JL made me realize that Gal Gadot is a pretty terrible actress. I also stopped counting at 5 at scenes where her butt was the center piece of the foreground... wait, I should've put this in the positive pile.
I agree with you on Irons, that man is a treasure.

I'm going to disagree with you on Gadot because I generally like her as an actress, but I'm waiting for this movie to hit the Movie Channels. I'm in no hurry to see it.

Further, I applaud you on a very descriptive and humorous film review. Well done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #3231
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
There’s an alternate ending that’s a lot darker. I wouldn’t say it’s better but I think it fits with the theme of the movie.
Spoiler!

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-16-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #3232
kunkstyle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Atomic Blonde was good. Nice to see an action film close to La Femme Nikita. Or that Gina Davis/Sam Jackson thriller.
The Long Kiss Goodnight?! I still love that movie.
kunkstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kunkstyle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 03:26 AM   #3233
snootchiebootchies
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Saw Lady Bird this weekend. Very enjoyable film even though the coming of age story has familiar beats. The depiction of the mother-daughter relationship is the strongest part of the film and I thought Laurie Metcalf is deserving of an Oscar Nomination. Film is written and directed by Greta Gerwig. I love Greta but anyone familiar with her work knows the characters she pens and portrays as an actress (Frances Ha, Hannah Takes the Stairs, Mistress America) are kinda samey -- diffident, meek, awkward, immature, dorky, etc. Ladybird is different as Saorise Ronan portrays her as someone who is full of herself and more assertive than previous Gerwig protagonists, although still very much immature and awkward. It's these differences and the frequent offbeat moments that puts this one above the generic coming-of-age movies. Very enjoyable 90 minutes at the movies for my wife and myself. And I don't think there was a dry eye in the theatre when the film ended.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote