Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #2081
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cool, I didn't know that about the Apple TV. I think I'll try that out. I've also started using the Apple TV app on my phone more as well.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #2082
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the best ATV remote is the one built into iOS 12. there used to be a separate remote control app, but the integrated one is super quick to access with a pull-down from the top of your phone/ipad screen.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #2083
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
the best ATV remote is the one built into iOS 12. there used to be a separate remote control app, but the integrated one is super quick to access with a pull-down from the top of your phone/ipad screen.

What? Is that different than "Remote"? I can get rid of that?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #2084
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
A bit different. I still have the app installed, but use the built-in one in the control centre most of the time these days. I still prefer a physical remote, but sometimes it goes missing temporarily or is waaaay over there on the other couch and there is a lazy dog on me making me lazy.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #2085
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I guess this was possible even back in iOS 11, but starting with 12 the ATV is part of Control Center by default. I'm pretty sure I uninstalled the standalone app once I found this:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201664
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #2086
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the only reason I have hung onto the standalone app is for the old Apple TV 3. If you are using a 4 or 4K exclusively, it is redundant.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #2087
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I guess this was possible even back in iOS 11, but starting with 12 the ATV is part of Control Center by default. I'm pretty sure I uninstalled the standalone app once I found this:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201664

I tried it out, unfortunately it doesn’t look like it works with an ATV3, unless I am missing something.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:22 AM   #2088
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I tried it out, unfortunately it doesn’t look like it works with an ATV3, unless I am missing something.
Unfortunately that is correct. Just the 4 and 4K can utilize the built-in remote.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #2089
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any thoughts on the Apple Watch Series 3? I've never owned one before but am thinking of buying one.

Does it use cell data or does it get data pushed to it from the cell phone? If it gets data from the phone do you have to be within arm's length or can you be in another room and it still picks up data?

Also for anyone who has one - can you set it to act like a normal watch to show the time or does it always have notifications popping up?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #2090
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I have a series 1 watch, and it works pretty much anywhere in the house if I've left my phone somewhere else. I'd imagine the 3 is as good or better.

The thing to keep in mind with showing the time, it works based on you raising your arm. So sometimes a subtle glance at your wrist won't show you anything. If it was on all the time it would kill the battery quickly.

There is a nightstand mode- so if you have it on the charger it will show you the time if there is any movement anywhere close. (Pretty much it will show the time if you fart.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #2091
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I have the 3.

1. You have two options with the watch. You can get one that allows for a sim card and can use its own data. I haven't the normal one that tethers to my phone. The phone can be pretty much anywhere in the house. However, I've forgotten my phone at home and was still able to use most features because it was connected wifi. I didn't know it worked that way.

2) There are dozens of watch faces you can use. Many of which are simple, without the extra notifications or displays. You can also be pretty granular about which notifications you receive so you don't have to shut them all off.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #2092
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't want to start a new thread for this. I have an iphone 6. It was horrible on ios 11 but ios 12 made it usable. While sometimes I find the phone frustrating with how slow it can be sometimes it still works. I got a good sized apple gift card and was trying to figure out what to get with it. Don't need a macbook, or appletv, or apple watch, etc. I thought of maybe getting a new iphone, but I will still have to fork out $500. My question is, is the iPhone 8 worth the upgrade? It's the last of the sizes I like, and I definitely don't want to spend more than that.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #2093
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I have the 3.

1. You have two options with the watch. You can get one that allows for a sim card and can use its own data. I haven't the normal one that tethers to my phone. The phone can be pretty much anywhere in the house. However, I've forgotten my phone at home and was still able to use most features because it was connected wifi. I didn't know it worked that way.

2) There are dozens of watch faces you can use. Many of which are simple, without the extra notifications or displays. You can also be pretty granular about which notifications you receive so you don't have to shut them all off.
I bought my wife the original series 1 watch and it's been a big hit. Maybe best gift I have ever got her when considered how much she uses it. As above she just tethers to her phone. If you have a significant other that's a busy body with their phones they should like an Apple watch.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #2094
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
My question is, is the iPhone 8 worth the upgrade?
I went from a 6 to an 8 last year. Camera is about the same. What I found was that I really noticed a huge difference in speed, the 8 was way faster. More so than my previous upgrades from 3GS to 5, and from 5 to 6.

I do hate the lack of a headphone jack, but I have at least 5 of the adapters to make sure I am ready for whatever headphone situation I find myself in.

Apple does also have a trade in program, you could also get a bit more back for your 6. Or sell it privately.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #2095
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Don't want to start a new thread for this. I have an iphone 6. It was horrible on ios 11 but ios 12 made it usable. While sometimes I find the phone frustrating with how slow it can be sometimes it still works. I got a good sized apple gift card and was trying to figure out what to get with it. Don't need a macbook, or appletv, or apple watch, etc. I thought of maybe getting a new iphone, but I will still have to fork out $500. My question is, is the iPhone 8 worth the upgrade? It's the last of the sizes I like, and I definitely don't want to spend more than that.
Apple reduced performance of older models (they say it's to preserve battery life). You can now disable this, which should speed up performance. Perhaps give this a try to see whether you need a phone replacement or not.

https://www.knowyourmobile.com/ios/2...s-power-ios-12
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #2096
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m doing helpdesk support for family members and was looking for some CP validation.

If I recommend a MacBook laptop, am I able to choose any wireless colour laser printer, or am I limited to “works with Apple” printers?

Seems like an obvious question but I’ve really only worked with wintel printers, and it has been a few years.

Thanks!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #2097
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I’m doing helpdesk support for family members and was looking for some CP validation.

If I recommend a MacBook laptop, am I able to choose any wireless colour laser printer, or am I limited to “works with Apple” printers?

Seems like an obvious question but I’ve really only worked with wintel printers, and it has been a few years.

Thanks!
Any printer.

If it’s “MFI or works with Apple airplay” just means you can print wireless from an I device.
McG
Old 12-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #2098
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default iPhone X vs XR

So I need want a new phone. I've got a fairly decent offer (retentions) on the table from Rogers. Long story short, I need to choose between the X for $50 and XR for $0. The phone cost is fairly insignificant compared to retail price so I need to just figure out which one.

Anyone have advice on which one to get? Thanks!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #2099
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Edit- forget this- I was thinking Xs
For the sake of $50 I'd get the brand new model over the 1 year old model.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #2100
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The XR is physically bigger, but has an inferior screen (though the screen has a higher resolution); AMOLED for the X LCD for the XR

X probably has a better camera as well.

XR has a newer processor but the X is plenty fast.

Big advantage of the XR is usually price, but I'd prefer the X for only $50 difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: