Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #21
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I have broad shoulders and a small waste (40 suit size and 30 waist - true waist not the vanity sizing). I find most American clothing brands will be very baggy and totally non-fitted. The Banana Republic "Grant" (or whatever they are calling their slimmest fit right now) is alright. Places like Brooks Brothers are now out of the question.

Depending on how broad shouldered your partner is, I'd try European or Asian orientated brands. Generally more expensive clothes tend to fit me better, which is very unfortunate.

The Bay actually has a pretty great selection these days. They have mid-range brands like "Scotch and Soda". They have some higher end brands too. I'd try something like "Tiger of Sweden" to start there. However, guessing his size/fit is going to be a real challenge. He's much better off trying each brand on and finding one that works for him.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #22
BuckPunny
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I have broad shoulders and a small waste (40 suit size and 30 waist - true waist not the vanity sizing). I find most American clothing brands will be very baggy and totally non-fitted. The Banana Republic "Grant" (or whatever they are calling their slimmest fit right now) is alright. Places like Brooks Brothers are now out of the question.

Depending on how broad shouldered your partner is, I'd try European or Asian orientated brands. Generally more expensive clothes tend to fit me better, which is very unfortunate.

The Bay actually has a pretty great selection these days. They have mid-range brands like "Scotch and Soda". They have some higher end brands too. I'd try something like "Tiger of Sweden" to start there. However, guessing his size/fit is going to be a real challenge. He's much better off trying each brand on and finding one that works for him.

Thanks very much for your input. And yeah I am fully expecting that we may have to return what I get him. But at least I can have a look at a few places, see which brands and styles he might like and fit well, get a good idea of where we can look. Basically do a bunch of the legwork for him and narrow things down!
BuckPunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #23
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I have the exact same issue. Try RW&Co for sure. Also Simon's downtown.

RW can seem a little overpriced for what it is, but they have good sales all the time it seems. Regular 30%, 40% off deals, keep your eyes peeled for one.

Every time I walk past an RW&Co it seems to be plastered with 30/40% off signs, they seem to have perpetual sales, but I don't go to malls very much.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Topman (in the Bay), Simons.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #25
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Every time I walk past an RW&Co it seems to be plastered with 30/40% off signs, they seem to have perpetual sales, but I don't go to malls very much.
They are all like that now. People do not even go into the store unless there is a sale sign on the window.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #26
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simon's.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I shop at Simons mostly because I like the fit and quality at the price point for certain items. Not the expensive name brand stuff. Helps I work really close to the downtown shop.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #28
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was eating a cookie when I saw this topic and scoffed.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #29
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
They are all like that now. People do not even go into the store unless there is a sale sign on the window.
Oh totally. I pretty much never buy anything full price there, outside of socks. Not because it's not worth it, but because it'll inevitably be on sale in two weeks, tops it seems.

I even told that to one of the salespeople one time when they were trying to get me buy something at full price, which I don't think they appreciated lol. Great stuff though, especially if you're slim.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #30
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the 30 inch waste. I'm not fat. Not chunky, chubby, soft or pudgy. I'm not even big boned. I can't jam myself into 36 pants if my life depended on it. It's 38 or better and all I seem to find are skinny little skinny guy stores with nothing greater than 32 waste and like weird 36 alien legs. Oh no sir I'm sorry we have nothing of that size to accommodate you. Maybe try the WalMart.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #31
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I don't understand the 30 inch waste. I'm not fat. Not chunky, chubby, soft or pudgy. I'm not even big boned. I can't jam myself into 36 pants if my life depended on it. It's 38 or better and all I seem to find are skinny little skinny guy stores with nothing greater than 32 waste and like weird 36 alien legs. Oh no sir I'm sorry we have nothing of that size to accommodate you. Maybe try the WalMart.
Even if you can find a waistesize that fits... if you’ve ever played a sport (like hockey) your thighs don’t even fit in the damn things.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #32
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i recall going to nordstrom rack and thinking that they had a good selection for slim guys, but since i am not slim, perhaps it was a perception thing
Old 12-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #33
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Beat it, fatty.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #34
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I miss Mexx actually. I always found decently good dress clothes there for cheap.
I still have a bunch of their medium slim dress shirts. Fit me perfect.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #35
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Beat it, fatty.

I'm not fat! Gawd.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #36
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

espy in Inglewood and Simons!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #37
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #38
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is just brilliant satire.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #39
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I miss Mexx actually. I always found decently good dress clothes there for cheap.
I still have a bunch of their medium slim dress shirts. Fit me perfect.
Totally! I loved Mexx, that was my go-to back in the day. Tristan America was good too. I basically see RW as their spiritual successor, it's essentially the same style & fit.

RW's sweater game is a lot better than Mexx ever had though

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-11-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #40
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ve found almost everywhere caters to ‘slim’. I’m a 32 waist and not overly built and it’s a chore to find pants that don’t hug my crotch and calves like a horny midget. BB Red Fleece like is cut specifically for slim fits, BR and JCrew also specialize in narrow clothing fully expect to need to dart or take in dress shirts from most shops if he is thin but has shoulders. CK (say what you will about the quality) has an awful lot of extra slim stuff too.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote