Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #81
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He won't be worth it to acquire. On his next contract, he's going to make $13 million per season or more when you consider what McDavid makes and the expected cap increases over the next two seasons.

How does a team acquire him and also lose cap space to Bobby Ryan's buyout and manage to fit it all in? I don't think it can be done.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #82
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Whatever gets paid for Karlsson will be way too much for the return. Guaranteed. This is the definition of mortgaging the future to win now.
Isn't this the philosophy of Sutter and now Treliving? That'll be cool if for once Calgary goes into a 3-way deal and acquires what they really need. Currently, they need a legitimate first line right winger and more depth on right wing than any other position.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #83
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Brodie ++ over Hamilton. Karlsson is definitely better than Hamilton but dougie's still improving and has potential to add using his frame into his game. Plus he's cost controlled. Hamilton we have to keep.
I doubt the Sens want a player the same age as Karlsson back as the centerpiece of the deal.

Brodie makes more sense for the Flames (except we would have 4 right shots which is a GG problem).

If I am Ottawa I would be targeting either a legit 25 and under star as the centerpiece, or a real high end prospect drafted in the last 3 drafts (Marner/Sergachev/Makar) as the main piece coming back.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #84
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I doubt the Sens want a player the same age as Karlsson back as the centerpiece of the deal.

Brodie makes more sense for the Flames (except we would have 4 right shots which is a GG problem).

If I am Ottawa I would be targeting either a legit 25 and under star as the centerpiece, or a real high end prospect drafted in the last 3 drafts (Marner/Sergachev/Makar) as the main piece coming back.
I think Ottawa will be disappointed in the return for Karlsson, mainly because GMs will not be looking forward to the contract negotiations that have to start immediately.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #85
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The upgrade from Hamilton to Karlsson just isn't enough to justify the enormous contract difference that will definitely exist, but I agree with you. I don't think we have what it takes to land EK.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #86
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think Ottawa will be disappointed in the return for Karlsson, mainly because GMs will not be looking forward to the contract negotiations that have to start immediately.
That and teams that trade super star players essentially never get similar quality back in return.

They get quantity and almost always lose the deal.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #87
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
That and teams that trade super star players essentially never get similar quality back in return.

They get quantity and almost always lose the deal.
The only exception I can think of is the Lindros trade and really that was only because Forsberg turned out to be much better than anyone originally thought.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #88
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The only exception I can think of is the Lindros trade and really that was only because Forsberg turned out to be much better than anyone originally thought.
Yeah. They usually lose on star level trades as well.

Exceptions to the rule are:

Yashin for Chara and Spezza.

Carter for Voracek, 1st(Couturier) and 2nd (Cousins). I don't really like to include the players a team picked when evaluating a trade as if they exceed expectations with their draft pick its kind of a separate transaction IMO.

But Voracek for Carter one for one looks good now and Philly got a high 1st and a 2nd to boot.

Richards for Simmonds and Schenn.

Philly was kind of in a different position as there wasn't any pressure to trade the Dry Island Twins. They just felt like it.

Seems like there is a lot of pressure to move Karlsson so I don't expect Ottawa to receive market value in return.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #89
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Apparently Karlsson just tried to walk into the Lightning dressing room as a joke.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #90
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Apparently Karlsson just tried to walk into the Lightning dressing room as a joke.
That's actually pretty hilarious. I love it when they show some character.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #91
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
The upgrade from Hamilton to Karlsson just isn't enough to justify the enormous contract difference that will definitely exist, but I agree with you. I don't think we have what it takes to land EK.
I see that point of view and tend to agree. Dougie typically takes a while to get going but he has been fantastic offensively in all 3 seasons with the Flames and has gotten better and more physical in his own end.

Erik Karlsson is widely considered a top 3 player in all of hockey or at least he has been the last couple of years.

Erik Karlsson is a franchise player. Dougie Hamilton is not even the top overall Dman on the Flames. If the Flames want Karlsson I think they need to have an offer that would begin with one of Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, or Hamilton. I understand the reluctance of any Flames fan to want to do any of those deals.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #92
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk would probably be part of any deal, yes. Gaudreau or Monahan for one and a half years of Karlsson and early negotiating rights is a total non-starter, particularly for a team that may or may not make the playoffs this season.

I disagree that Hamilton isn't the top Dman on the Flames, for me he definitely is and is simply being underused. But I gather that he's still not there for some people. Regardless, he's clearly the most valuable asset they have in that position given his age and contract. I wouldn't trade him though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #93
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Flames already have 5 quality dmen and a bunch of touted dmen in the system. Don't see Karlsson happening unless 2-3 of those guys go to Ottawa
Old 02-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #94
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Flames already have 5 quality dmen and a bunch of touted dmen in the system. Don't see Karlsson happening unless 2-3 of those guys go to Ottawa
Unless they eat the Bobby Ryan deal...
Old 02-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #95
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Dougie Hamilton is not even the top overall Dman on the Flames.
I'm curious who is the best on the Flames and some stats to prove why? I'm guessing the only other person you could think to say is Gio but explain to me why he is better?
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #96
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
I'm curious who is the best on the Flames and some stats to prove why? I'm guessing the only other person you could think to say is Gio but explain to me why he is better?
Gio drives the team from the back end. He does everything better then Dougie other then put the puck in the net.

He's significantly better defensively, he's way more physical and his intensity is on a whole different level then Dougies. Theres a reason why Gio is our captain and Dougie is not.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #97
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, let's be realistic, he's almost certainly not coming to Calgary.

But if he were, would people balk at a price of Tkachuk + 2019 1st + Kylington for Karlsson + Ryan?

Problem is it would mean no first rounder OR second rounder this year or next. You'd have to be pretty committed to the current core.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #98
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Gio drives the team from the back end. He does everything better then Dougie other then put the puck in the net.

He's significantly better defensively, he's way more physical and his intensity is on a whole different level then Dougies. Theres a reason why Gio is our captain and Dougie is not.
Because he is older and Dougie wasn't here when Gio was named captain
Old 02-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #99
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

But if he were, would people balk at a price of Tkachuk + 2019 1st + Kylington for Karlsson + Ryan?

Problem is it would mean no first rounder OR second rounder this year or next. You'd have to be pretty committed to the current core.
I wouldn't do that...I would suspect most of CP would agree

Tkachuck?!?!?!? GTFO
Old 02-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #100
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

i would 100% balk.

that might be enough to get me to stop following the team entirely.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: