Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Topic Organization preference?
Less topics, everything relating to the player in one pile 26 10.16%
More topics that are specific, but to a point 230 89.84%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default DeRailing / Topic Discussion

So everyone's thoughts on something that has always bothered me.

About five years ago there was a push to stop people from starting unnecessary topics. If something comes up about the Oilers, it goes in the Oiler thread. If it's about Mike Smith go back in time and find that old Mike Smith topic.

Etc, etc.

People like this because the site is less cluttered I think.

The downside is you get too many things being discussed in one topic and things get derailed.

Sam Bennett Hit on Compher Causes Injury - to me would have been a topic of its own and would have been near the top as long as people wanted to argue about where the game is going with hitting etc.

Instead Jiri feels bad about taking the Bennett thread into a discussion about hitting and head injuries when the conversation is pretty pertinent.

Personally I don't want to see 11 "Trade Sam Bennett" threads, that's stupid. But every time Bennett comes up it shouldn't have to shoe horn into one single 65 page topic.

Thoughts?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Like everything as is. You run a tight ship and it shows.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I think the mega threads can discourage casual users from participating or being up to date. If you aren't on regularly, it is hard to stay up to date with posts and make sure you haven't missed anything. It can cause people to not post something for fear its been already stated or conversely cause fatas because they didn't see the information a couple pages back.

One thing that is helpful is when people like sureloss start the threads and take the time to update the title and/or original post with developments. I guess if there was a way for you as mods to assist in that when the original poster is not around that might be helpful?

As you certainly know, nuance is key and the best solution is somewhere in the middle. Personally, I do think the thread police are often over aggressive in trying to shut down individual topics. (and I don't mean mods, but regular posters who deride others for new threads) But deciding exactly where to draw the line is tough. I think there is room to swing a bit more in the other direction.

Regardless, hope this is a good debate about the direction of the board and as always, thanks for all you guys do!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
So everyone's thoughts on something that has always bothered me.

About five years ago there was a push to stop people from starting unnecessary topics. If something comes up about the Oilers, it goes in the Oiler thread. If it's about Mike Smith go back in time and find that old Mike Smith topic.

Etc, etc.

People like this because the site is less cluttered I think.

The downside is you get too many things being discussed in one topic and things get derailed.

Sam Bennett Hit on Compher Causes Injury - to me would have been a topic of its own and would have been near the top as long as people wanted to argue about where the game is going with hitting etc.

Instead Jiri feels bad about taking the Bennett thread into a discussion about hitting and head injuries when the conversation is pretty pertinent.

Personally I don't want to see 11 "Trade Sam Bennett" threads, that's stupid. But every time Bennett comes up it shouldn't have to shoe horn into one single 65 page topic.

Thoughts?
I don't think we should trade Sam Bennett.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I think the mega threads can discourage casual users from participating or being up to date. If you aren't on regularly, it is hard to stay up to date with posts and make sure you haven't missed anything. It can cause people to not post something for fear its been already stated or conversely cause fatas because they didn't see the information a couple pages back.

One thing that is helpful is when people like sureloss start the threads and take the time to update the title and/or original post with developments. I guess if there was a way for you as mods to assist in that when the original poster is not around that might be helpful?

As you certainly know, nuance is key and the best solution is somewhere in the middle. Personally, I do think the thread police are often over aggressive in trying to shut down individual topics. (and I don't mean mods, but regular posters who deride others for new threads) But deciding exactly where to draw the line is tough. I think there is room to swing a bit more in the other direction.

Regardless, hope this is a good debate about the direction of the board and as always, thanks for all you guys do!
I've always thought that unnecessary or potentially duplicate topics sort of take care of themselves as they fall of the main page pretty quickly
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
No he's gone.

I'm just preparing you guys for where I announce it. In the "Too Late to Trade Bennett" thread or on it's own in a new one.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'd prefer more topics on items as they pop up. Delete off topic posts / sin bin repeat offenders, discourage derailment that way.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Personally, I hate mega threads. There is some value to a "general, ongoing Sam Bennett thread" thread, because when we get to the point of nitpicking every little thing a player does, it's useful to contain that in a thread. But yes, when there's an event that warrants its own discussion, then it should be fine, and encouraged to create a new thread. And if Jiri, or anyone else, feels that the hit on Compher, as an example, warrants its own thread and own discussion, they should be encouraged to start one. If nobody else cares, it will fall off the main page in a day.

That being said, and with respect to Jiri, I think the real issue there is not that he derailed the thread - because you literally cannot derail a general thread about a player by talking about that player - but that he wanted to bang his anti-contact drum without having to face criticism for it. IMO, you don't get to say your piece and the declare any conversation that flows from it to be "off topic" or "disrespectful".
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
We've already traded him. Hopefully for someone thats not a Bum....like Kenny Agostino or Paul Byron....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #10
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I didn't even know Compher was hurt because I figured the mega thread was always inane trade debate/proposals.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a balance for sure. I think we've gotten a little too crazy with the megathreads but not everything needs its own either.

I am sick of megathreads so voted that option. I probably miss a lot of news because there's megathreads I don't bother going into anymore
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Personally, I hate mega threads. There is some value to a "general, ongoing Sam Bennett thread" thread, because when we get to the point of nitpicking every little thing a player does, it's useful to contain that in a thread. But yes, when there's an event that warrants its own discussion, then it should be fine, and encouraged to create a new thread. And if Jiri, or anyone else, feels that the hit on Compher, as an example, warrants its own thread and own discussion, they should be encouraged to start one. If nobody else cares, it will fall off the main page in a day.

That being said, and with respect to Jiri, I think the real issue there is not that he derailed the thread - because you literally cannot derail a general thread about a player by talking about that player - but that he wanted to bang his anti-contact drum without having to face criticism for it. IMO, you don't get to say your piece and the declare any conversation that flows from it to be "off topic" or "disrespectful".
I think that's unfair, and certainly not necessary.

Concussions in sports is a big issue, and it's very much on topic on a hit where a guy is now missing time with a head injury.

If you don't like that you're not going to enjoy the next few years of pro sports.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #13
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I've always thought that unnecessary or potentially duplicate topics sort of take care of themselves as they fall of the main page pretty quickly
Yeah, I meant to include that in my thoughts as well. I recall that often being the official response to the potentially overzealous policing.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I avoid the mega threads, prefer more specific topics.

I agree that these smaller threads do disappear pretty quickly once they have run their course.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #15
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't worry too much. People who complain about the organizational structure of a forum really should really get a life. Structure causes people to rebel.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. People who complain about the organizational structure of a forum really should really get a life. Structure causes people to rebel.
Now you've done it.

I'm forming a Resistance Movement!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #17
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Needs third option of "it's all good".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I avoid the mega threads, prefer more specific topics.
Unless it is "Oilers are no good" or "What grinds my gear." Those are great mega threads...

But I do want more threads on specific topics in general, but may be put an expiry date on them. Say if no one has commented on it for 6 months then delete. That will avoid some clutter and also the occasional bumping threads from 8 years ago where no one remembered what they were about.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #19
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

A couple things
- Certainly I'm not afraid of facing criticism for my view. The debate is happy in many threads and I'm happy to continue that conversation
- There are some posters that indeed beat the drum in numerous threads, and given that the debate about hits and fighting is happening in other threads, I didn't want to be one of those posters that takes numerous threads in that directions, after I made my initial point

But I take exception to the notion that I don't what to face criticism for my view, when I have been having the debate, and I would say it a pretty respectful way with several posters, in numerous other threads.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #20
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I think we as Moderators could probably help things out a bit by altering thread topic titles occasionally to reflect where the discussion is moving. The “too late to trade Bennett” thread has moved beyond that talking point, and would probably feel more accessible if it were identified as a more general Bennett discussion thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: