Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #21
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Good choice! I'm on my second Tacoma, currently a 2014 that I purchased (ahem, leased) new. A TRD Sport Double Cab. This one's from Charlesglen Toyota, which seems to be a decent dealership for the most part.

I also have the truck bed tent mentioned in the previous post, which works well as a reasonably affordable and simple way to camp in the bed.

I can't remember if you mentioned, but are you definitely looking to buy new? Getting in to a Taco for a decent price is a tricky proposition at the best of times it would seem, whether looking new or used. The resale value is high, and Toyota tends not to budge very often on the rates for the new ones.
Most likely new. Considered used, but they maintain their value so well, not sure how much really saving.
Is there a particular truck bed tent you guys recommend?
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #22
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
FWIW I have a topper on my truck. Have had it for two years after never having one before. I love it. Worth every penny. It makes everything so much easier and more secure. It adds a ton of flexibility. A flush topper looks great on a Tacoma, too.
A friend loves this option and look as well. Definitely considering all options.

Is there a particular topper you'd suggest?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #23
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
A friend loves this option and look as well. Definitely considering all options.

Is there a particular topper you'd suggest?
The more you spend, the cooler they look, basically. Flush, frameless windows, flush tailgate window handles, lined ceiling, ceiling cargo netting, etc. Lots of options are available and you pay for every one of them. I went with the cheapest, most basic topper since my truck is for work and it's a lease. It looks fine, but if I owned the truck and planned to keep it more than 4 years I would have ponied up more.

There aren't many vehicles you should buy new, but a Tacoma is one of them since resale is so high. You could also consider leasing it and buying it out at the end if the numbers work for you. I leased an '08 Tacoma until 2012. The buyout was $17k, so I bought it and sold it a week later for $22 or $24...cant remeber, but I did make some easy money. I'm on my fourth lease for work and the Tacoma was the only one where it made sense to do this buyout trick at the end.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #24
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

take this for what it is worth. i have never owned a pick up myself; however, my father in law had one, and then bought a topper. He hated it because it changed the visibility out the back.

if you consider a topper, you may want to get them to dry fit it one if possible and consider the visibility in thier parking lot.

my gut feel tells me that perhaps if you spend more on a topper, you get a cleaner looking one, with more strategically placed windows to aid visibility.

i would not suggest buying one and then installing it and driving away in case you are not able to return it.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #25
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a mid rise topper on my tacoma. I got mid rise so I can fit bikes in easier. I have a couple of fork mounts and then can wheel them in and mount them. I do prefer the look of a flush topper though. This was more for function when I take a bike somewhere and don't need the bike rack. Also I wanted to be able to sleep in the back from time to time. I will to the west coast to visit my son and take a bike with me. The topper allows me to sleep in the back without having to get a hotel.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #26
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toppers do affect visibility, probably the biggest downside I can think of.

The big plus is way more room, when I went camping with just a bed cover it was definitely tight for space. I love the option of being able to sleep in the back.

Love the Leer 100XQ, pricey as hell but a sick looking canopy.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #27
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
take this for what it is worth. i have never owned a pick up myself; however, my father in law had one, and then bought a topper. He hated it because it changed the visibility out the back.

if you consider a topper, you may want to get them to dry fit it one if possible and consider the visibility in thier parking lot.

my gut feel tells me that perhaps if you spend more on a topper, you get a cleaner looking one, with more strategically placed windows to aid visibility.

i would not suggest buying one and then installing it and driving away in case you are not able to return it.
Don't worry about this for a single second. I think your FIL had a fair point prior to back-up cameras, but with cameras now, it's a non-issue.

Last edited by Sliver; 10-11-2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: FIL, not Uncle
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #28
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Toppers do affect visibility, probably the biggest downside I can think of.

The big plus is way more room, when I went camping with just a bed cover it was definitely tight for space. I love the option of being able to sleep in the back.

Love the Leer 100XQ, pricey as hell but a sick looking canopy.
Holy crap, that does look so awesome.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #29
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Most likely new. Considered used, but they maintain their value so well, not sure how much really saving.

Is there a particular truck bed tent you guys recommend?

My tent was a Napier I believe. Reasonable price and gets the job done for occasional camping.

As for a general bed cover, I went with a Truxedo Lo Pro. I didn’t like the aesthetic of a topper and didn’t have the need for a hard tonneau cover, so the Lo Pro struck an excellent balance. It has been durable and is easy to retract/extend.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #30
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I went looking for a second hand Tacoma back in 08/09, but when I looked at the buyout on a lease, seemed a no brainer to lease a new one. Mine was an 09, but numbers were right in line with what Sliver mentioned above. Been a great truck, fuel economy maybe slightly disappointing, but other than that, I've not put a buck into it aside from all recommended maintenance (knock on wood). Decently capable truck offroad, with nothing more that bigger, more aggressive rubber, otherwise bone stock.

One note though, I just recently picked up a second hand topper to turn it into a bit of a backcountry camper (leer 100xr, similar to the 100xq mentioned above), and the mediocre spring loaded latches fail all the time on rough roads. Have tried adjusting them every which way, and they still let go on washboard. The old school T-handles are vastly superior IMO. Would happily switch them out if I could, but would probably have to source a custom piece of glass or lexan. Doing a little reading, it's been suggested that the lightweight plastic beds in these trucks aren't tough enough to support the weight of a topper, and the bed actually flexes outward at the tailgate because of the weight. I've ordered a set of bed braces like so: https://offroadwarehouse.com/i-23038...tiffeners.html and will report back if that solves my problem. No question that the topper wiggles around quite a bit back there. Not a lot of support for the bed with just a bit of sheet metal and the tailgate holding it together.

If that doesn't work, will try a new set of latches, but my anecdotal advice would be to get a topper with the old simple t handles.

Other than the minor topper issue, have been very happy with the truck. May move up to a half ton in the next year or two as the family is making noise about a travel trailer, and I'm not a fan of pulling at the limit of a vehicle's rating. Otherwise would likely keep it for another 10 years.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockLicker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #31
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

0 input on the Tacoma, but count me in for a vote for the topper. I had a tonneau for years and finally switched to a topper for the last two. Built an adjustable shelving system so the bed is double tiered which alone is fantastic. 6 guys, ski equipment and duffle bags for a week trip all fit comfortably.

It also doubles as a bed and with a propane heater makes for great camping or tailgating. Wish I had went with the topper from day 1.

Dealers - purchased an SUV from Cochrane Toyota, no complaints.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #32
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

My only thing is with the topper, and maybe I'm missing something (extra space, flexibility, adaptability), but if you go that way, why wouldn't ya just go with a Forerunner?
(maybe I should duck for cover if I totally missed the boat on this : )
The Following User Says Thank You to cral12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #33
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My only thing is with the topper, and maybe I'm missing something (extra space, flexibility, adaptability), but if you go that way, why wouldn't ya just go with a Forerunner?
(maybe I should duck for cover if I totally missed the boat on this : )

Won't speak for anyone else, but an SUV may have close to the same space as a truck with a topper, but a truck bed, especially with a spray-in liner, you can throw pretty much anything in there and not worry about the mess. You can hose it out with no issue. I won't get into the whole Tacoma thing, since I bought a Ram 1500 last year with an ARE topper, but unless you are carrying 6+ people around, truck+topper all the way.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #34
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Had a Tacoma for quite a few years. Enjoyed it.

Once the second kid came and we started pulling a trailer had to move to the Tundra. I’ve dealt with Cochrane Toyota, Country Hills, and South Pointe.

My first experience with Cochrane Toyota was great. This was when it first opened. The second time I dealt with them they were sub par at best. I actually enjoyed the sales person on the floor I dealt with but my dealings with the managers was extremely poor.

Country Hills and South Pointe (I believe they are a tied together) have been decent to date. South Pointe was a bit better to deal with and got my business.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #35
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Won't speak for anyone else, but an SUV may have close to the same space as a truck with a topper, but a truck bed, especially with a spray-in liner, you can throw pretty much anything in there and not worry about the mess.
This exactly. I hate a dusty interior, let alone soggy crap. Dump runs, fire wood, melting snow from skis, mud, bottle runs - all in the box. Nothing of the such in the interior.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #36
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, you can avoid all those problems with some cheap accessories, too, though. I bought an Inno pod for my Sienna off Kijiji for peanuts. I have a hitch bike rack as well, although to be honest I cheaped out on it and it sucks so bad I hate using it. Spend more if you go that route.

I think if he's going to camp a lot, a 4Runner is actually an awesome idea. Make some black out blinds and throw a chunk of foam in the back and you can have a killer set up. I have camped in my minivan a bunch and it's awesome...when I wake up, I just hit my remote starter and voila, toasty warm. That is so much better than a roof top tent. Plus bears can't get you.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #37
calgarybean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

2018 Taco here. Team at Southpointe walked me thru lease vs finance, trims, etc. Ended up leasing a Sport Upgrade with a 6 ft box. Did the hard cover too. Zero regrets and 100% fun. Did put some sandbags in for the first couple snow falls.
calgarybean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarybean For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #38
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dumb question - how do Tacomas run in the winter? Calgarybean mentioned sand bags, is it really that bad for traction?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got an S-10 and use patio stones in the back because I hate the mess of sandbags by the end of winter. Traction is what you would imagine it to be with a light rear end, but a little weight really helps. Winter tires are a must. Mine is a 2wd and I've never been stuck.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #40
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Yeah, Tacomas are ridiculously light in the rear. Icy highway driving will definitely keep you on your toes. A little weight in the back goes a long way, but if you've not driven a lightweight rwd truck like a tacoma, ranger, s10, etc before, they can be pretty tail happy.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RockLicker For This Useful Post: