Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon38 Starbucks has black men arrested for trespassing

https://globalnews.ca/video/4145424/...n-philadelphia

https://globalnews.ca/news/4144912/v...ved-starbucks/

Oh America. The Police department is already circling the wagons on this one, but, this is indefensible on all sides.

Starbucks is of course responsible for 99% of this. But the officers who came on scene could have used discretion here. The 2 men were waiting for friends and instead of asking them to leave or they'd have to arrest, the cops just slapped irons on them and perp walked them out.

This is a really bad look for Starbucks and Philly.

edit: ugh crap nevermind the police asked them to leave and gave them quite some time to do so before arresting. So as far as I'm concerned Philly PD is off the hook.

Last edited by White Out 403; 04-15-2018 at 11:50 AM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could understand asking someone to leave if they weren't ordering, provided the store was busy, but that's clearly not the case.
There's no way police should be involved though.
How ridiculous.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I could understand asking someone to leave if they weren't ordering, provided the store was busy, but that's clearly not the case.
There's no way police should be involved though.
How ridiculous.
I'm already wondering what happened if we're missing something. We're already having people slam the police in a no win scenario, so I wonder if the 2 guys were being rude or belligerent.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why would the police even ask to them leave? Why was arrest even part of the conversation? Did they ask ALL the white people and threaten to arrest them if they didnt leave?

Actually wtf would Starbucks even call the police. If they asked the two guys why they hadnt ordered anything and they said 'we will, just waiting til our friend shows up' that should have been the end of it. No call to the police should have ever happened.

Last edited by puffnstuff; 04-15-2018 at 12:00 PM.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Why would the police even ask to them leave? Why was arrest even part of the conversation? Did they ask ALL the white people and threaten to arrest them if they didnt leave?
Well what choice did the police have?

It's a private business, and they asked the men to leave. The police should just say "tough luck sort it out yourself?"

They asked the 2 guys to leave they wouldn't. They then refused to leave when the police asked them to leave and tried to convince them to go for 7 minutes. What's the next step here?

Starbucks is at fault for involving the police.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

It is easy to paint Starbucks as the at fault party and I guess that is what society is these days... It is the worker(s) who called for the police on trespassing's fault... Starbucks will be dragged through the mud on this but the company itself didn't do anything (unless they have a policy on calling the police for trespassers after X minutes in the store which would make a whole new story).

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wonder what the actual story here is.

So much faux outrage nowadays.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #8
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #9
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad the black guys were smart about this and left without arguing, which would've escalated the situation. Pathetic that they had to bite their tongues to prevent things blowing up though.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

I can see how you're confused. It's not like the 'actual' story can be found in countless news reports. Let me help.

2 black men were sitting in Starbucks waiting for their friend to arrive. By all accounts (not a single person has said differently), the men were not causing trouble and the store was not busy.

https://twitter.com/user/status/984539713016094721

For reasons that no one on the scene could identify, these men were singled out for behavior that is routine and happens regularly at every Starbucks in America.

Starbucks apologises

Quote:
The company leaves safety and customer service protocol decisions up to store managers, the official said. They may leave restroom doors unlocked or add key code entries if they feel the store is more at risk for criminal behaviour. A store in the same area of Philadelphia experienced an armed robbery recently, the official said.

The official acknowledged that the incident is at odds with what many people have done at a Starbucks without drawing suspicion or calls to police. The stores are “community hubs”, the official said, where people often drop in to use the wifi or chat with friends without necessarily ordering anything.

Ms Wimmer said she spent a good portion of her time in law school in Starbucks without buying much and never had a problem as a white female.

The incident was about race, Ms Wimmer said. She suggested an experiment: go to a Starbucks and assess the demographics of people sitting there.

“Who is the manager going to call and say ‘please leave?’,” she asked.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously this got escalated more than it should have, but having a policy that people need to buy something or leave isn't a ridiculous policy. I've seen it raised in coffee shops before; I've even seen it involve police gently encouraging someone to leave (at the Memorial/Edmonton Trail Starbucks, I think).

Whether the employee chose to enforce the policy because the guys were black is a question we don't know the answer to, but there's certainly a lot of assumptions being made. If true it is a problem, but I don't think that's something that people should assume. If it only came to his attention because one of these guys came and requested a bathroom key and at that point the employee noticed they were not customers and decided to bring up the policy, that's legitimate.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post

Actually wtf would Starbucks even call the police. If they asked the two guys why they hadnt ordered anything and they said 'we will, just waiting til our friend shows up' that should have been the end of it. No call to the police should have ever happened.
This happens a lot, all over the place. While I won't speak for Philly, in Calgary, police get phone calls like this probably 30-100 times a day (weekends are usually busier).

Most of the places in Calgary like this (McD's, Tim's and Starbucks are the big three) are generally pretty easy going, and will let people stay in them without buying something, as long as they aren't there too long, the business isn't too busy, and they don't cause a problem for others/customers.

But, when a business asks someone to leave, for whatever reason (as is their right, as a private business), and that person refuses...what is the business to do? They call the police.

Generally police show up and ask someone to leave, and they do. But sometimes they don't, either. While I'm not sure about how Trespassing in the States works, in Canada you can't be immediately trespassed. You need to be removed and formally notified you are no longer allowed on the premises. If you then return, you can be arrested for trespassing. And yes, there is a list of people that local places have of people they have formally trespassed.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 04-15-2018 at 01:02 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've gone into one Starbucksin particular and waited for someone before ordering. Never been arrested or challenged for doing so. This is brutal.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can only needlessly loiter in a Starbucks if you're writing your screenplay on your Mac book.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You can only needlessly loiter in a Starbucks if you're writing your screenplay on your Mac book.
At least they probably at least buy a coffee.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #16
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: NM, youtube vid is in OP, I only saw the Twitter 30s ones.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #17
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
At least they probably at least buy a coffee.
probably the #### with whipped cream on it
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #18
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
We live in a world where a lot of white people will shrug off those stories as isolated incidents, rather than products of a culture that unfairly, unrelentingly conflates blackness with criminality.

We live in a world where a white woman answers her door to a black teen and doesn’t even hear his words. She sees his skin color, and she screams. Her husband decides he must be shot.

We live in a world where black men waiting at Starbucks — something I’ve done in my white skin more times than I can count — are assumed by management to be up to something.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...415-story.html
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #19
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

All part of Starbucks self promotion of their Blonde coffee lineup
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #20
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

Quote:
Implicit bias is when you witness a racist incident at Starbucks, record it and tells your friends what happened, but they still question your version of events and imply that something else must have happened to cause the men to get arrested.

This is what DePino said happened to her.

“So many of my white friends were saying to me ‘there has to be more to the story than that,’” DePino said. “It’s so frustrating.”
Quote:
DePino said it upsets her that her fellow white people don’t recognize that implicit bias is real.

“It’s like they don’t believe because they don’t see it,” she said.

But the truth is, they do see it. They see it every day. Things happen to black people every single day that would never happen to a white person simply because of implicit bias.

“If I had gone in there and not ordered a drink, they never would have called the police on me,” DePino said.

Starbucks Witness: Implicit Bias Exists and White People Need to Speak Up When They See It

https://www.theroot.com/starbucks-wi...mpression=true
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post: