Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2018, 02:06 AM   #21
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
First Nations across Canada have a lot of issues but the Stoney Nakoda is horribly managed, incredibly corrupt and it is a huge shame that the reserve is in such poor condition.

I previously did some O&G work for the Nation and met with some of their leaders at that time. The economic disparity between the council members and the general population is incredible. A huge chunk of their funds routinely go unaccounted for and there are no paper trails. I believe that at one point almost 1/3 of their spending went unaccounted for and the council members spend something like $10 million on travel related expensive. At that time oil revenues were still strong and the nation was generating around $100 million per year.

I understand the desire and need for the First Nations to be independent but the system really needs an overhaul and some intervention.
Damn that sucks. The corruption is causing the youth in first nations reserves to suffer leading them to grow up in horrible conditions and turn to drugs violence etc. Hope there can be an overhaul one day.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #22
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my wife had a friend who worked on the Tsu-Tinna reserve, and she would routinely be very frustrated as employees would not come in for a week or two - with no phone calls. employees would get into fights at work, and people would just not do their jobs.

she would try and discipline the employees; however, her actions were always overturned by some one the band council.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sounds like it was the Influenza according to the news this morning.

Having 14 kids hit that hard, that's unreal.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #24
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sad thing is most people in power in this country know how badly bands are run. The corruption, the nepotism, the disparity, the dysfunction. But they go on pretending everything is okay because it's better for their careers and public image to promote agreeable falsehoods than to acknowledge hard truths.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #25
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The sad thing is most people in power in this country know how badly bands are run. The corruption, the nepotism, the disparity, the dysfunction. But they go on pretending everything is okay because it's better for their careers and public image to promote agreeable falsehoods than to acknowledge hard truths.
What are those hard truths?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #26
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What are those hard truths?
?????????

Quote:
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #27
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And if you try to encourage people to move off reservations or debate cutting the funding that allow all these rotting settlements to exist you get called a racist, or too "colonial". I don't have any clue how to change these problems in the real world, but I'm 100% convinced that the government is not doing anyone any favors by pumping money to reserves.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #28
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Cause it's always worked so well when we've gone in there and tried to fix things.

Fact is they are a nation and we can't just force changes, it has to come from within.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #29
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has already evolved to yet another useless debate about first nations bands and what needs to be done to fix them. So I'll leave after I say this is a terrible tragedy. I feel so bad for those kids.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
This thread has already evolved to yet another useless debate about first nations bands and what needs to be done to fix them. So I'll leave after I say this is a terrible tragedy. I feel so bad for those kids.
But it would be useless to try and fix it. So why are you concerned?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #31
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
But it would be useless to try and fix it. So why are you concerned?
He concerned about this thread being derailed by a topic covered many times in other threads.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #32
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sounds like it was the Influenza according to the news this morning.

Having 14 kids hit that hard, that's unreal.
Flu like symptoms but they won't disclose what is the cause. If it was just the flu I'm sure they would just say so problem is so many things cause "flu like" symptoms and they have no clue what is causing it.

Edit: Maybe over thinking it. Quote from the EMS spokesperson in the National Post.

EMS spokesman Stuart Brideaux said a four-month-old was pronounced dead at the home.
He said 10 children and four young adults were rushed to hospital. One young child was in serious condition, while the rest were stable.
The symptoms were mainly respiratory, said Brideaux.
“Largely these are the typical symptoms we see in any seasonal flu,” he said.

Last edited by Raekwon; 04-05-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #33
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Thats like saying in gun violence events we shouldn't talk about gun reform because its been covered in many other threads. This is a problem 90% of the people who are concerned and want to see reservations end or at least get some real help are not racists.

In fact if you polled Natives on reservations I would bet most of them would want to see big changes, but I won't speak to that maybe someone else who is more familiar could enlighten me.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #34
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunatly, much like gun violence in the states, while the answers are all kind of obvious, full financial disclosure, auditing, amalgamation of the bands into larger political units etc the answers do have to be accepted by the band members themselves, also, in truth Canada benefits from the corrupt banana republic nature of the bands as well, for all the occasional law suit mostly band leaders quietly sign over land rights without issue for a back hander from the province or mining company.

Having spent my life in Canada working with native kids and dealing with bands I am not hopeful anything will change.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #35
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A bit of an update on the medical illness. Perhaps we have forgotten how severe influenza can be on an infant.

https://cochranenow.com/local/update-tragedy-in-morley

"Influenza-like illness or influenza-like symptoms and we are speaking of respiratory influenza an illness that causes breathing problems, shortness of breath or fever and cough."

para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #36
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Thats like saying in gun violence events we shouldn't talk about gun reform because its been covered in many other threads. This is a problem 90% of the people who are concerned and want to see reservations end or at least get some real help are not racists.

In fact if you polled Natives on reservations I would bet most of them would want to see big changes, but I won't speak to that maybe someone else who is more familiar could enlighten me.
Gun and violence and Gun reform are in the same spectrum, what does the Flu or Flu like illness have to do with the state of the reserve system? Sure we can discuss living situations possibly contributing to illness but this thread is long past that discussing the internal workings of the tribal system which there are already threads about.

Its actually really simple, people don't want to open a thread about one thing and have to wade through a bunch of other crap to see what they were looking for.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #37
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
A bit of an update on the medical illness. Perhaps we have forgotten how severe influenza can be on an infant.

https://cochranenow.com/local/update-tragedy-in-morley

"Influenza-like illness or influenza-like symptoms and we are speaking of respiratory influenza an illness that causes breathing problems, shortness of breath or fever and cough."
But it doesn't say Influenza it says Influenza like symptoms which are caused by so many other things. Then they go on to say As far as future updates, Peters says it will be quite some time. "I know everyone is jumping the gun to search for information but I don't expect we will have anything concrete for a while."

I find it hard to believe if it was the Flu they wouldn't have test results back to confirm it, something is off here.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #38
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a hard time believing 14 people in 1 house needed hospitalization due to the flu. Which as said, is why they are using the term "influenza like symptoms''.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably Lupus.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #40
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
A person I know, who knows the reserve well, and the specific house involved is predicting meth lab.
So, not a meth lab then? So completely baseless speculation then?

Disappointed but not surprised someone went there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote