Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Road Constructions in Calgary

Forgive me if there's already a thread for the ongoing road constructions but I looked around and couldn't find one. Anyways, I know we see road constructions in Calgary all the time and can get frustrating driving-wise. What's more frustrating for me is not knowing what are the city planning on that project. I know we might be able to see it on maybe City of Calgary websites or whatever but everyone have time for it. So maybe someone here in CP can explain what the heck is going with all the road constructions in the city. I can mention some of that I know of and see pretty much everyday but you know of the place I did not mention, please add it on the list.
What frustrates me is not seeing any sign that explains what the project is about.

South:
Anderson Road and Elbow Drive : Looks like they are working on the right turn lane from both sides of Anderson to Elbow Drive. Then they have this massive equipment in the middle of Anderson Road. Anyone know what they are trying to do there?

14th Street SW from 90th Avenue to the Rockyview Hospital. Are they making the road wider or adding lanes on 14th Street?

Glenmore Trail by Richard Road to I believe past that Highway 8. Speed limit gone to 60km/hr but I don't think I ever seen anyone working there in the daytime.

Southland and Macleod Trail. No turning left from Southland to Macleod on both direction. Are they building an overpass or whatever. It might make sense a bit because that place is busy all the time.

North:

Ramp on 17th Ave SE(Blackfoot Trail) to or from Deerfoot Trail. Heavy constructions there but I can't figure out if they are adding another lane on Deerfoot or what?

Anyways, that's all I can think of for now.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't the plural of construction construction?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Southland and MacLeod: can you confirm the no left turn? Unless they changed this very recently it was no left turn off Macleod onto Southland, not the other way around.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

The zoo bridge project seems like it's taking forever.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe there's a little more this year but I feel that heavy road construction in Calgary has been a constant for decades.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...-projects.aspx

The map is even better:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Looch City; 09-28-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anderson is being widened and turns lanes added/extended to accommodate the SWRR capacity. Some of the work can be done after the ring road is built, but there are parts that need to be done first.

14th Street is ATCO work being done by Volker Stevin on their pipeline that runs in that area. I believe that they are decommissioning an existing line and relocating it in order to accommodate the SWBRT. The long sections of yellow pipe are for natural gas and will be pulled in via HDD.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Southland and MacLeod: can you confirm the no left turn? Unless they changed this very recently it was no left turn off Macleod onto Southland, not the other way around.
Went along Southland last night. I can confirm there are no left turns from Southland onto Macleod. (both WB and EB)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #9
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Just drove past this. No left turn from EB southland onto NB macleod.

Probably other way too, I just didn't go that far.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
14th Street SW from 90th Avenue to the Rockyview Hospital. Are they making the road wider or adding lanes on 14th Street?
I think this has been utlity upgrades that go down the middle of the road. They didn't seem to be doing anything to widen it at all.

I think this is scheduled to be done by the end of September. From what I can see (every morning and afternoon as I drive by) this has been 'done' for 3 days or so as near as I can tell. I assume they are waiting on the road to get remarked with the proper lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Glenmore Trail by Richard Road to I believe past that Highway 8. Speed limit gone to 60km/hr but I don't think I ever seen anyone working there in the daytime.
This one RGMG. There is absolutely no construction until Glenmore turns into Sarcee. As far as I'm concerned the city is incurring liability for no reason at all. It creates additional danger for drivers (95% of whom now ignore the 60 km/h limit, leaving 5% as a hazard on the road) and significantly increases the danger to construction workers (assuming that they will be working on the project someday?) as the drivers have now been trained to ignore the lowered speed limit.

I tweeted the city about it, but didn't get a response.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #11
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Road+Construction+in+Calgary

Your exact thread title, and literally the first link is the site Iggy City posted.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am sure I put this in the GMG thread but wtf didnt they re-mark glenmore west bound for three lanes under the Riverbend bridge. Instead it narrow to two lanes when theres a ton a room for three lanes and the merge that happens coming out of Riverbend. Creates an unnecessary choke point.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #13
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
This one RGMG. There is absolutely no construction until Glenmore turns into Sarcee. As far as I'm concerned the city is incurring liability for no reason at all. It creates additional danger for drivers (95% of whom now ignore the 60 km/h limit, leaving 5% as a hazard on the road) and significantly increases the danger to construction workers (assuming that they will be working on the project someday?) as the drivers have now been trained to ignore the lowered speed limit.

I tweeted the city about it, but didn't get a response.
I fully expect that part to be littered with photo radar every time I drive it. That's the only logical reason I can think of them starting it that ridiculously far back.

In reality they should be starting it at 45th st.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #14
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
I fully expect that part to be littered with photo radar every time I drive it. That's the only logical reason I can think of them starting it that ridiculously far back.

In reality they should be starting it at 45th st.
I agree on the photo radar. I'm happy to say that I haven't seen it there yet (in the 6ish weeks that the speed has been lowered for no reason).

As to starting at 45th st, why? There isn't any construction until Sarcee.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #15
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I agree on the photo radar. I'm happy to say that I haven't seen it there yet (in the 6ish weeks that the speed has been lowered for no reason).

As to starting at 45th st, why? There isn't any construction until Sarcee.
Once they get going on the interchange (which I assume is soon) the construction will be that far out.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #16
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Once they get going on the interchange (which I assume is soon) the construction will be that far out.
Once they start construction they are also building an overpass at 37th st as part of the Ring Road.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...treet%20SW.pdf

My argument is just that it doesn't need to be lowered months before any work is started.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #17
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Timely thread. I've been wondering what they are building south of the 17th Ave SE / Deerfoot interchange for weeks. Now it would appear they are driving piles for a bridge?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #18
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Timely thread. I've been wondering what they are building south of the 17th Ave SE / Deerfoot interchange for weeks. Now it would appear they are driving piles for a bridge?
17th Avenue SE BRT Transitway.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...ct=/17avesebrt
frinkprof is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #19
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a particularly awful one on Tuesday. I was leaving downtown - or attempting to - via 6th avenue SW, heading west. That normally just ends up turning into Bow Trail, but not on this evening. Instead, they just blocked off 6th Ave right at 11th Street, and had all of the 6th ave traffic divert south on 11th street. Here's the problem with that: there's a C-train stop there. Four lanes had to merge into one lane, turn left into one lane on 11th avenue, and then stop after half a block, repeatedly, to let the C-trains go through.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have that be the place where you stop and divert traffic? Why not close off the road a block ahead of there so as to give people actual room to get out of dodge before being stuck in a line for literally half an hour? Worst piece of planning I think I've ever seen for a road closure.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #20
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I mentioned in the gear-grinder thread, my issue is that there are so many projects going on at once in my part of the city (SW) that it's impossible to take alternate routes to avoid lane closures. You'd think there would be coordination at some level to avoid boxing in whole parts of the city with reduced access.

Also, that map doesn't seem to include private projects, like the ATCO work on 14th street.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote