Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #1121
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Decided to step away for a bit -- I haven't been that choked up about the outcome of a sporting event in a long time. Was even starting to regret renewing my season tickets last week.

Lo and behold, life goes on and I'm still a Stamps fan, not because they're back-to-back Grey Cup Champs (because they're not) but because I enjoy football and have no interest in following the NFL product. Yeah, the regular season can be boring at times, and the playoff format leaves something to be desired. But there are still touchdowns to be thrown, game winning field goals to kick, and watermelon heads to bust.

The CFL is never going to be the best league but it's still a pretty good league with some pretty good players. Ambrosie is doing a good job and I'm excited for the new talent that emerges next year (still need another good quarterback or two).

As for the Stamps, they're still a good team and they put on an entertaining, mostly successful product on the field. While a couple more Championships would be great, I'm not going to let that take away from my enjoyment of the game. The CFL is supposed to be unpredictable, exciting, and memorable -- we got all three last night. Looking forward to going up to Edmonton next year and maybe, just maybe, watch the red and white hoist their eighth Grey Cup. Heaven knows they're due.

Well said.

Sports, in the end, is nothing more than a form of entertainment and if it is having a negative effect on you (not specifically you, but anyone at all) maybe its time to step away. It should be enjoyed. That includes the ups and the downs.

It took me til i was a bit older to realize/accept that, so I get some of the viotrol and hyperbole after a loss like yesterday, but its just not worth it IMO.

Ive been a Stampeders fan for 48 years, I get it as much as anyone when it comes to their propensity to come up short in every heart-breaking way the football gods can concoct. Maybe that's why I enjoy so much when they do win the big one....... that it makes it all worth it to me.

/preachy rant
Old 11-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #1122
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Ive been a Stampeders fan for 48 years, I get it as much as anyone when it comes to their propensity to come up short in every heart-breaking way the football gods can concoct. Maybe that's why I enjoy so much when they do win the big one....... that it makes it all worth it to me.
48 years! Wow, that's pretty impressive. I read a tweet that yesterday was finally revenge for the Argos fumbling it away to the Stamps in 1971

Oh, and the bolded part is true. So painfully true.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #1123
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

At least we're not Blue Bombers fans. 0 cups since 1990, and only 4 appearances since.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #1124
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Really good next day write up on cfl.ca

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/27/cauz-c...y-cup-shocker/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #1125
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
At least we're not Blue Bombers fans. 0 cups since 1990, and only 4 appearances since.

There’s a certain nobility in that kind of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #1126
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That was nicely written. It's still hard to believe that fumble return happened.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #1127
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
48 years! Wow, that's pretty impressive. I read a tweet that yesterday was finally revenge for the Argos fumbling it away to the Stamps in 1971

Oh, and the bolded part is true. So painfully true.
Saskatchewn Rough Rider fans are still waiting for revenge after Stamps kicker Larry Robinson kicked the winning field goal (no time left on the clock) in the 1970 western final in Regina. The temps were -35 with the windchill

Old 11-27-2017, 11:57 PM   #1128
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Saskatchewn Rough Rider fans are still waiting for revenge after Stamps kicker Larry Robinson kicked the winning field goal (no time left on the clock) in the 1970 western final in Regina. The temps were -35 with the windchill

All part of my indocrination to the cult of Stampeder fandom. Memorable because there was no way he should have made that kick in those conditions.

Earliest memories were of the 68 Grey Cup against Ottawa, then the game this video is from, then the following season beating the Argos on the Leon Mcquay fumble late in the game.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #1129
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two days later I'm still upset. I can't believe they didn't win.

I'm usually pretty good at digesting Calgary team failures but this one ####ing sucks. It's a weird feeling because the stamps don't owe me anything, they kept me entertained the whole year and I was able to go to five games in awesome weatnher which were all wins. It's just a weird feeling, can't imagine how guys like Jorden or Campbell feel.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #1130
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Two days later I'm still upset. I can't believe they didn't win.

I'm usually pretty good at digesting Calgary team failures but this one ####ing sucks. It's a weird feeling because the stamps don't owe me anything, they kept me entertained the whole year and I was able to go to five games in awesome weatnher which were all wins. It's just a weird feeling, can't imagine how guys like Jorden or Campbell feel.
It's the first championship, or really big game, that I can remember where where the team I was emotionally invested in (not just a casual interest) really had the game in hand and then blew it.

Flames have suffered big losses before, as have Stamps, but I can't think of another occasion where I thought the game was won.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #1131
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know if I can remember a game that my team was in where they were pretty much as dominant as it can get on offense and defense and special teams and lose on three mental gaffes.

the bottom line is that the Stamps couldn't put the spike in the Argo's heart, and they let them hang around in a game that they had no business being in and the three sisters of fate cut the sting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #1132
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Well said.

Sports, in the end, is nothing more than a form of entertainment and if it is having a negative effect on you (not specifically you, but anyone at all) maybe its time to step away. It should be enjoyed. That includes the ups and the downs.

/preachy rant
But having a brief (and non-long term) negative effect is what makes it so great. The highs and the lows feels so good/bad.

This is all pretty silly, we are grown men/women cheering for people who wear a shirt of a team that plays in a city we have some connection to, it's all pretty childish so it's not surprising people act live children when things don't go their way, as long as you don't let it effect you long term it's pretty harmless.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #1133
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I could thank the posts made above by transplant99 and tvp2003 multiple times, I would. What it boils down to for me is that all you can really ask for as a fan is a chance to compete for the championship at the end of the season. Over the last six seasons, the Stamps have been in the Grey Cup game four times winning one of those games. As with every off-season, there will be several changes, but I still have the upmost confidence in Huf and DD to put another great team on the field in 2018.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #1134
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Go away. There's lots to be gained by ####ting over the Argos. That's what fans do. Let them grieve. What are you trying to accomplish by beating your chest in this thread?
I think he thinks that his Bombers in 2001 are a close example of what happened to the Stamps this year. I think it's different, because the Bombers just got straight up beat in numerous facets in that particular game, not just the turnover battle. Sure Calgary was 8-10 in the regular season and the Bombers had their best regular season since the early 90s and since, but in the big game they were worse on multiple sides of the ball, and not just in one play.

Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #1135
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I think he thinks that his Bombers in 2001 are a close example of what happened to the Stamps this year. I think it's different, because the Bombers just got straight up beat in numerous facets in that particular game, not just the turnover battle. Sure Calgary was 8-10 in the regular season and the Bombers had their best regular season since the early 90s and since, but in the big game they were worse on multiple sides of the ball, and not just in one play.

Yes I agree with this and didn't suggest otherwise. The Bombers were an elite team and shat the bed against a sub 500 team who got hot at the right time.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #1136
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least the ratings are good. Up 10%. TSN, other than 2 crappy commentators, does a great job with the CFL and frankly probably saved the CFL. The panel is awesome. However where is Chris Schultz? i kinda miss him.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/27/105th-...rship-tsn-rds/
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #1137
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Khari Jones things, I thought he was great on the old CBC, CFL panel before TSN got the exclusive rights to the league. Was unfortunate seeing him not get picked up by TSN when that happened, though not surprising as they had/have their own great panel.

And yes I'm still sick about that loss too. You know it was bad when your own very chirpy, diehard Edmonton Eskimos-cheering, Stamps-hating father hasn't said a peep to you about the game since before opening kickoff. Even he prob knows this one is too deep, ugh
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #1138
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Last edited by IrishSpring2013; 03-28-2020 at 11:24 AM.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #1139
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Will Nault‏
@Fan960Nault
1h1 hour ago
More
Marquay McDaniel broke down in tears during his post season address. Says he doesn’t know how much is left at age 33 and values his 2014 Grey Cup ring now more than ever before. #Stampeders

Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #1140
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a couple of days since the Grey Cup. I refused to watch the sports news especially when they started talking after the Grey Cup. I was very upset of the lost especially losing late in the game. I guess I overreacted blaming everything on Jorden because of his fumble and I apologized for that. I still couldn't figure out how everything that happens. What happened to the rest of the team when Vaughn recovered that fumble and ran 109 yards for a TD? I think the closest person in tackling him was Bo Levi Mitchell.
It sucks when the Stamps dominated the regular season then dominated 55 minutes of the game only to lose in the last five minutes. It seems like football god did not want the Stamps to win. The last 5 minutes, all the weird stuff happens. First, it was rare to see Roy Finch fumbled the ball on the return. The punt came in short and Finch dove for the ball and fumbled. Then the mistakes happens. Stamps are leading by 8 and there was a couple of minutes left. Why didn't the Stamps try to run the clock by running the ball more often. Even if they don't score a TD and just kick a FG, Toronto still need to score 2 TDs to win. Then after Toronto went ahead by 3 pts, Mitchell who's been playing very well in the night underthrew the ball.
Just crappy luck. Tommi Campbell who's been unbeatable in the last few season got beat twice by Posey. Ciante Evans who's been solid the whole game got hurt on a harmless play and missed defensive plays. The guy who replaced him Levels didn't fare well late in the game. Another weird thing happenned in the 4th quarter. Caron who's been solid as a long snapper overthrew the ball to Maver after a successful punt called by a penalty. Stamps ended up giving up 2 points on that. It sucks but that happens. Game is over and season is over. All I have to do now is to look for the next season. I am sure we will see some changes due to players trying the NFL, players trying their luck somewhere else, retirement and so on. But I definitely think we will se at least 80-90% of the team coming back next season. Thank you Stampeders for a great season.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post: