Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #1101
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
do you think a guy like Singleton would get a shot in the NFL? or is he not big enough, he certainly has wheels.
Adam Bighill (similar size and speed) tried the NFL this past year, almost caught on with the Saints, but was mainly used on special teams before being cut.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #1102
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Singleton isn't really big enough to be a every play linebacker in the NFL, and while he's fast, he's not fast enough to be a safety.

He's a tweener, he's on the bleeding edge of being too good for the CFL but doesn't have the physical attributes for the NFL.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #1103
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Singleton isn't really big enough to be a every play linebacker in the NFL, and while he's fast, he's not fast enough to be a safety.

He's a tweener, he's on the bleeding edge of being too good for the CFL but doesn't have the physical attributes for the NFL.
Which is exactly what you want in your CFL players.
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #1104
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In a championship game, you win or you lose. The best team on that day always wins. Yesterday it was the Argos. The only thing worse than watching the Stamps lose another game, is listening to fans complain we were the better team and deserved to win. No we were not.

If you want to try and focus this loss on a small segment of the game - it was when the game was tied 24-24 and we couldn't stop the Argos offence. The defence was great, but was outplayed by Ray when the game was on the line.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #1105
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The decisive plays were all mental mistakes by Stamps.

Campbell shows poor judgement by trying to be the hero and going for a pick instead of playing the man.

Jorden shows poor judgement by trying to be the hero and going for a TD when he has the reception and first down.

Dickenson shows poor judgement by trying to be the hero and calling passing plays when he didn't need to.

BLM shows poor judgement by trying to be the hero and throwing the deep ball into double coverage.

See any pattern there?

Not entirely sure Dickenson wears goat horns there. Free play to try and win the game. Why not take the shot. He has to trust his QB to throw it away if there’s nothing there.

The rest of your analysis is spot on and to me Campbell isn’t getting enough grief. Stamps pinned the Argos deep in bad weather. He’s clearly beat on that play but instead of mugging the receiver and taking PI or playing the man he tries for an interception with NO SAFETY HELP. That play was a momentum swinger and totally inexcusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #1106
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no denying that Tommie Campbell picked a bad time to have his worst game in a Stamps uniform. That said, Posey had a great game and deserves credit for seemingly catching every ball that Ray threw his way.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #1107
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Adam Bighill (similar size and speed) tried the NFL this past year, almost caught on with the Saints, but was mainly used on special teams before being cut.
Did he get picked up by another NFL team? or come back to BC
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #1108
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did he get picked up by another NFL team? or come back to BC
He did get added to the Saints practice roster and has been activated for at least a couple of games this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/saints-activate-ex...ghill-1.883177
Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #1109
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

what is the status of Eric Rogers these days. i know he had a bad knee injury, he would look good back in a stamps uniform .
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #1110
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Not entirely sure Dickenson wears goat horns there. Free play to try and win the game. Why not take the shot. He has to trust his QB to throw it away if there’s nothing there.

The rest of your analysis is spot on and to me Campbell isn’t getting enough grief. Stamps pinned the Argos deep in bad weather. He’s clearly beat on that play but instead of mugging the receiver and taking PI or playing the man he tries for an interception with NO SAFETY HELP. That play was a momentum swinger and totally inexcusable.

Yeah it was a bad play but not that much of a momentum swinger. Stamps had total control of the game late in the 4th quarter.

That game hinged on one single, huge play.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #1111
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah it was a bad play but not that much of a momentum swinger. Stamps had total control of the game late in the 4th quarter.

That game hinged on one single, huge play.
Not a momentum swinger? The possibility to go up at LEAST 11 points vs a tie game is a massive momentum swing.

It was the worst possible play they could have called.

Ah you're referring to the end of the game play. Also in that case, just kick the damn field goal and take it to OT.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #1112
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Not a momentum swinger? The possibility to go up at LEAST 11 points vs a tie game is a massive momentum swing.

It was the worst possible play they could have called.

Ah you're referring to the end of the game play. Also in that case, just kick the damn field goal and take it to OT.

He’s referring to the 100 passing play. Jorden is the goat on the fumble. BLM on the last play.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #1113
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
He’s referring to the 100 passing play. Jorden is the goat on the fumble. BLM on the last play.

No goat for coaching. Gotcha.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #1114
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
No goat for coaching. Gotcha.

Here’s my take on that.

He’s got a free play from the 25. Go for the end zone. If it’s incomplete, kick the field goal. Tie game and over time.

No chance messam runs in from the 25 so you are effectively playing for the tie and overtime instead of the win and giving away a free play from the 25.

The counter argument of course would be that you get to overtime and take your momentum and hope to win the game then, but why wouldn’t you trust the best Qb of the last half decade to make a play and have better sense than to throw it into double coverage. That’s not on the coach.

Happy for an alternative analysis (not being smug, actually asking). I️ was at the game and haven’t been able to follow up on a lot of post game analysis until now.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #1115
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

@transplant. Wrote that two hours ago and apparently I never hit send..

Oh agreed, you don't want that "what if" regret to haunt you in later life if you never tried when you could. Totally get if he takes a shot at it, and good on him. I just don't like his odds. Guys like Flutie & Garcia seemed TOO good for this league, you could see that all world talent. I just don't get that same feel from Bo. He's a top end CFL QB, but I don't think his skill transcends the league the way those other guys did.

He's athletic but not THAT athletic when compared to NFL QBs who scramble. He's got an arm but not lights out or anything in that regard. And he's gotten a lot smarter with decisions in recent years, but I certainly don't view him as a surgeon out there, not NFL-calibre in that regard anyway. I just don't see it working.

Prove me wrong Bo! ...actually please don't, because we need you. But I'd still beam with pride if he did become a legit name down there, like I did with Flutie/Garcia. Increases the profile and credibility of the league when that happens.

PS - I know you agree, just wanted to explain my take in more detail.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #1116
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
what is the status of Eric Rogers these days. i know he had a bad knee injury, he would look good back in a stamps uniform .
Last week he had a tryout with the Jets. I haven't heard if he got signed. It will be interesting to see if he holds out hope of a contract in the offseason or decides to come back to the CFL. I would expect he will be back in the CFL sometime next season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #1117
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Bo has no shot at sticking in the NFL? Absolutely love the guy as a leader on our team and he's talented, but his skill doesn't exactly blow my socks off. I feel like I've seen much more talented CFL QB's going south for a shot and it not working out. Good on him for trying if he does, but I'd expect him to be back here in short order.
Bo may get a look from an NFL team or two but he would be lucky to carry a clip board. He lacks the prototypical NFL size and his accuracy is nowhere near good enough. He doesn't have a Warren Moon arm or Jeff Garcia's accuracy or ability to extend plays.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #1118
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decided to step away for a bit -- I haven't been that choked up about the outcome of a sporting event in a long time. Was even starting to regret renewing my season tickets last week.

Lo and behold, life goes on and I'm still a Stamps fan, not because they're back-to-back Grey Cup Champs (because they're not) but because I enjoy football and have no interest in following the NFL product. Yeah, the regular season can be boring at times, and the playoff format leaves something to be desired. But there are still touchdowns to be thrown, game winning field goals to kick, and watermelon heads to bust.

The CFL is never going to be the best league but it's still a pretty good league with some pretty good players. Ambrosie is doing a good job and I'm excited for the new talent that emerges next year (still need another good quarterback or two).

As for the Stamps, they're still a good team and they put on an entertaining, mostly successful product on the field. While a couple more Championships would be great, I'm not going to let that take away from my enjoyment of the game. The CFL is supposed to be unpredictable, exciting, and memorable -- we got all three last night. Looking forward to going up to Edmonton next year and maybe, just maybe, watch the red and white hoist their eighth Grey Cup. Heaven knows they're due.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #1119
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Bo may get a look from an NFL team or two but he would be lucky to carry a clip board. He lacks the prototypical NFL size and his accuracy is nowhere near good enough. He doesn't have a Warren Moon arm or Jeff Garcia's accuracy or ability to extend plays.
and would it kill Bo to run the ball once in a while? Even Ricky Ray ran it more than him. Garcia used to run over linebackers when he was here.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #1120
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Here’s my take on that.

He’s got a free play from the 25. Go for the end zone. If it’s incomplete, kick the field goal. Tie game and over time.

No chance messam runs in from the 25 so you are effectively playing for the tie and overtime instead of the win and giving away a free play from the 25.

The counter argument of course would be that you get to overtime and take your momentum and hope to win the game then, but why wouldn’t you trust the best Qb of the last half decade to make a play and have better sense than to throw it into double coverage. That’s not on the coach.

Happy for an alternative analysis (not being smug, actually asking). I️ was at the game and haven’t been able to follow up on a lot of post game analysis until now.

Yeah I don't think that's on Dickenson at all. When you're going to throw a corner at that time in the game you put the ball where only your guy can make a play on it. That's QB 101. You throw it over the guys head and worst case you're looking at the FG. Best case he wins you the game.
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post: