Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #761
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

People complaining about a "another possession coach". They do realize Sutter and AV also buy into possession philosophy right? It's a successful philosophy - it's just that there are many ways to go about it. It's all out speed of execution. If Peters or anyone can get the Flames to play faster, they will be successful.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #762
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I heard that Gelinas focuses on conditioning. Guys coming off injuries, call ups etc.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #763
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there are a lot of hyperbole being thrown around - from both sides.

The Flames are not guaranteed to do anything - good or bad - until it actually happens. Let's save BOTH the extremes until they happen.

What I mean is that there are a lot of posters here who are 'overly upset' at this (likely) hiring, and other posters who seem to be talking down to anyone who is disagreeing with it being a good signing. BOTH sides are pretty damn aggravating if you ask me.

I am not a fan, but my posts have been limited to my rationales. This is what I enjoy reading. I hate reading "This sucks. Flames suck.. bah bah" posts, and I also really hate reading "Treliving knows more than you, so I will trust him." - FFS, how many GMs make big mistakes? Gulutzan was a mistake. Treliving has made some mistakes on the FA market as well, and has traded more first round picks than any other GM in Calgary's history. He is not beyond reproach, though I still maintain he is a pretty good GM and he gets my vote.

As for Peters... well, it looks like the Flames are hitching their wagon to him. It is NOT going to be all bad. There WILL be good times, and the only question is how much.

There are two things that I utterly detested about Gulutzan's tenure - the slow breakout (while Vegas, Nashville and even Boston - a team many had figured they were in the middle of a rebuild - play such an aggressive and fast system) and the atrocious PP.

I will be ECSTATIC with Peters and will sing his praises every game - win or lose - if his possession hockey entails being a quick transitioning team that is also aggressive on the forecheck.

From the tidbits that I have gathered, he expects his defence to play with a tight gap against the opposition in all zones. I am interested to see that. I just also saw something recently posted from a Canes' fan that said their breakout is slow - but I am hoping that when Peters analyzes this team, he will adjust accordingly.

The risk for me is that we don't know if Peters is the type to adjust a system based on the personnel or not. Can he alter his system to fit the Flames? Nobody knows. NOBODY. Both arguments are valid from the pro and con camps here, and nobody should be shouting down the other side.

I said this when Gulutzan got fired - the Flames don't have to play radically different to get radically different results. That's a plus for Peters' camp. What they need is a system that makes them transition faster - this is NOT something that should limit them from being a strong possession team at all. They need to tighten-up defensively - that tighter gap control COULD help with that. Giordano is damn amazing at it. Hamilton needs to be better at it as, IMO, his main issue defensively is not being situationally aware - his guy sometimes gets behind him, or too far out ready for the shot, etc. I am hopeful that Peters can come in and fix some of these mistakes.

In my opinion, I wanted a coach that can get the Flames playing faster. Many posters have stated that the Canes play fast, some fans in Carolina feel differently... we will see.

I expect this team to play differently under Peters. How much different? Nobody really knows at this point.

Just play with some pace, fix the PP, and hopefully light a fire under some guys.

FYI - I absolutely HATED the Hartley hire when it was announced, but listening to Hartley talk in his press conference made me more neutral, and then watching how the Flames started to play made me a big fan of his. Peters isn't my first, or second.. probably has to go down to my 5th or 6th choice... but Gulutzan didn't seem to have any answers as his tenure came to a halt. Will Peters?

We will see. I won't condemn him, even though I do find the weaknesses and strengths on the advanced metrics eerily similar, but I can also rationalize that he isn't Glen Gulutzan, and he may be more adaptable. Maybe the assistants, when they are eventually chosen, can come in and help with some of the issues.

Heck, who here wouldn't be happy with 'anyone else' as the PP coach, and that may be enough to change the direction of this team. I am 100% fine if Gelinas is given the responsibility of being the PP coach.

I am going to listen to the man talk on Monday, and will be deeply interested in his ideas and the type of game he wants to play. I will be listening for the key words "up-tempo" and "fast transition".

FYI - this is why I mostly wanted Darryl back. Without a doubt his teams play a strong defensive game - this team needs to be better in their own end. He also talked about the importance of being a fast transitioning team in today's game. Both bases covered for me.

Will Peters cover all the bases for me? Maybe. Just maybe he will provide enough change to this team to propel them in a different direction. Maybe they implode.

Either way, the hyperbole both ways should stop until we have more information at least from the man himself as to what he has envisioned as a system for this team.

Disappointed with the news, but keeping an open mind until at least I hear what he has to say, and who the assistants are. I will probably keep my mind open until I see the Flames play under him for a long stretch, and see how they breakout, how they are playing defence and how they are generating offence. We don't really know.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #764
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Here is the tweet in question about it being a four year deal. Like I said it didn't come from a reliable hockey insider so I never bothered posting it last night.

https://twitter.com/JMarshyBosco93/s...23416518934528
Oh, that Bosco guy. Yeah, he just completely makes #### up.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:01 PM   #765
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Oh, that Bosco guy. Yeah, he just completely makes #### up.
I really wanted that Wideman one to be true.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #766
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted a coach who likes to give the puck away...#### this possession BS
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #767
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Can someone please give an example of anything, tweet, fan opinion, literally anything that would give us hope that peters will be the kind of coach who adjusts and changes his system depending on the personnel he has?

I’m actually curious...
You want a coach based on twitter or other teams fans?

Hockey Canada has hired him multiple times
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #768
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Was hoping for Tippett, AV, Sutter or one of the more established guys but as a fan of the team, I’ll get behind the hire until it proves to be a problem. I mentioned in another thread that Jack Adams front runner Gerard Gallant was a bad coach until he wasn’t. He didn’t coach Columbus to within even a sniff of the playoffs for 2+ years, then surprisingly took the Panthers to the playoffs although they were upset. Now he’s coaching an expansion team that is a legit Stanley Cup contender. Let’s hope Bill Peters has a similar progression. It’ll be very interesting to see who will be hired for each assistant position.
Was going to post something similar. Everyone's creaming all over Gallant. But before this year Gallant had coached in parts of 6 NHL seasons. He only had a winning record (total wins > total losses) 1 time. Doesn't mean he was a bad coach.

Context is big. In Peters' years in Carolina, their goaltending has been abysmal. Tough to win games when your goalie can't stop the puck.

I'm willing to give him a chance before running him out of town just yet. Definitely looking forward to a change as what I've seen from Peters, is that he has a more assertive presence than Gulitzan. I want a coach that is good at the x's and o's, can implement a strong possession system, and isn't afraid to show passion. Peters might be the guy who can do this now that he should theoretically have a better team to work with.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigpete For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #769
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once again Calgary4Life with a great long post. I cannot argue with much in it at all.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #770
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
1) If coaches were as influential on the team as some here seem to believe, they'd be paid $10 mil a season.
You're assuming that the supply of elite coaches is equivalent to the supply of elite players, and that the market is rational.

If I were to assume that the market is rational, I would deduce that a $6M coach has a much greater impact that a $2M coach.

So as for Peters, I'm in the "hesitant" camp. I think the Flames need a big change in playstyle, and Peters is likely to be more of the same. He's in a "show me" situation and he should get a "show me" contract (i.e. short term). Because there's no evidence that he's able to be what the Flames need.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #771
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cant wait for the flames to suck again next year under new coaches and for people to realize on here we simply dont have a good enough team
RoughRiderRowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #772
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
Cant wait for the flames to suck again next year under new coaches and for people to realize on here we simply dont have a good enough team
Pretty much everyone here thinks the Flames need changes to the roster...not sure who you are talking to
Old 04-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #773
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, coaching would still be questioned with Peters with how many people who don't like the hiring already.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #774
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't say I am thrilled to be getting a coach with a "meh" record, but who knows if he can adapt to the roster we have. Maybe it will be a good fit, only time will tell. Like always, I will give the new staff the benefit of the doubt.

I think the fact that he was able to negotiate an out clause and Treliving is rumoured to be offering a 4-year term, suggests that maybe Peters does have a lot of clout.

Not that it would happen here, but I suspect Gulutzan would make a good assistant coach. He is details oriented, but not great with line managing and being in the "moment" during games. I bet he would be good with practices and teaching specific elements though.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #775
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm hopeful he can be a good coach for this team.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #776
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You want the Flames to suck?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #777
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you insinuating that there will be absolutely ZERO player personnel changes during the off season?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #778
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You can’t wait for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #779
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
This is such BS. You would rather be right than have your team be successful. In my opinion you are the absolute worse type of fan. You find your pleasure in the failure of the team so that you are "right". I guarantee if they end up being successful you will not own up to this statement right here.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #780
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Holy crow you've made your point. Is this what we have to look forward to for four years before the guy has even been hired?
I don't mind the rationale criticisms and opinions but the relentless trying-to-be-funny-but-failing-but-repeating-the-same-jokes-over-and-over-again is aggravating.
I don't think he's trying to be funny. He's coming off as a 8 year old having a temper tantrum because he doesn't get his way so he'll say outlandish things out of spite.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: