Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #741
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Holy crow you've made your point. Is this what we have to look forward to for four years before the guy has even been hired?
I don't mind the rationale criticisms and opinions but the relentless trying-to-be-funny-but-failing-but-repeating-the-same-jokes-over-and-over-again is aggravating.
Don't single me out when A LOT of other posters are saying the same thing. Or is that your angle since you have gone at me before
Old 04-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #742
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of big questions marks that’ll be interesting to see how they’re answered by Peters and his assistants.

1.) Will Brodie continue to be be forced to play the left side or will he be allowed to go back to the side here he has historically been better?

2.) Will the D as a group be allowed to play to their strengths and do more stretch passing?

3.) Will Brouwer have a return to form and if not will he still be overused in most situations?

4.) Please Jeebus let us have a PP setup that promotes quick movement instead of having 90% of the shots blocked or a routine save for the goalie? Also, will Stone and his bomb of a shot be utilized?

Others?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #743
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Someone explain to me why Tre would reportedly want to bring a coach similar to Gulutzan. Does Tre think the puck possession bore me to death model was just not working properly and a different coach with the same philosophy could get the team to play it more effectively?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #744
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Will Tkachuk’s game change with the mandate to minimize penalties?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #745
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can someone please give an example of anything, tweet, fan opinion, literally anything that would give us hope that peters will be the kind of coach who adjusts and changes his system depending on the personnel he has?

I’m actually curious...
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #746
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving & the rest of Flames management and ownership have a lot more at stake than we as fans do. I’m going to trust that they’ve done their due diligence and targeted this guy.

I’m excited about a modern coach with four years of recent NHL experience who is coming in hungry to prove himself in his home province. It is a bonus that he has worked with Babcock and is a hard ass. Something we all agree the players need.

This organization has not had good success with retreads (think Keenan, Hartley) so I’m not going to get bent out of shape about “missing out” on AV or D Sutter.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #747
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would seem pretty obvious that if any team should have a coach that activates the D, it should be Calgary.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #748
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gulutzan clone would not be good, but why did Gulutzan fail here exactly? Was it the system or was it his demeanor and personnel management?

Maybe the system is good enough, but the team needs a coach that is more harsh and demanding? By all accounts Peters is that guy. Fix the PP and bottom 6 and this can be a good team.

I still don't like that they are going with Peters when good proven coaches are available, but this has potential to work.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #749
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Can someone please give an example of anything, tweet, fan opinion, literally anything that would give us hope that peters will be the kind of coach who adjusts and changes his system depending on the personnel he has?

I’m actually curious...
Reportedly pursued by a few teams which would suggest teams see something in him
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #750
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
To top things off, it's rumoured to be a four-year contract...Tre playing it safe by ensuring that with the term, the owners may hesitate to can the new coach.
Why would fans care about a coach's contract length? We just fired a guy with term.

The only people impacted by this are the owners.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #751
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Reportedly pursued by a few teams which would suggest teams see something in him
That isn’t an answer to my question of whether he actually adjusts his system.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #752
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Someone explain to me why Tre would reportedly want to bring a coach similar to Gulutzan. Does Tre think the puck possession bore me to death model was just not working properly and a different coach with the same philosophy could get the team to play it more effectively?
I think he clearly believes in puck possession but we shouldn’t assume the systems are the same
Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #753
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
That isn’t an answer to my question of whether he actually adjusts his system.
I misunderstood that part
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #754
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose it has to be brought up that Peters will be saddled with Gelinas and Sigalet. There's just something Oilersesque about keeping theses guys around and forcing them on every new coach. I would feel a lot better if Peters could have brought all his own guys in as I've seen nothing that indicates Gelinas or Sigalet have been part of the solution.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #755
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Here is the tweet in question about it being a four year deal. Like I said it didn't come from a reliable hockey insider so I never bothered posting it last night.

https://twitter.com/JMarshyBosco93/s...23416518934528
Worth mentioning he's also previously reported:

Bennett was part of the return for Hamonic,
Brian Boyle was being traded to Edmonton for Brandon Davidson,
Wideman and Iggy were signing with Edmonton,
Jagr was getting $3.7M from Calgary,
and more.

He seems to occasionally get some things partially right.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #756
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I suppose it has to be brought up that Peters will be saddled with Gelinas and Sigalet. There's just something Oilersesque about keeping theses guys around and forcing them on every new coach. I would feel a lot better if Peters could have brought all his own guys in as I've seen nothing that indicates Gelinas or Sigalet have been part of the solution.
Finally watching the Treliving presser now and am really curious what they do with Gelinas. I'd be surprised if he ends up behind the bench again, so do they officially move him into a player development role instead?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #757
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Exactly on the surface it sure seems this way. Maybe that is why Bradley didn't itake anytime to nterview AV, Sutter etc because he knows damn well they have more proven NHL hockey IQ than him.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #758
Gazza
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Just a comment.
Watching Pittsburgh play, just as an example, those players hate to lose. I see Philadelphia score twice on them today and they are upset.
The give-a-crap attitude comes from the players. The question is, can Peters bring the players to that attitude?
If he sets that standard it may change this whole team.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #759
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Finally watching the Treliving presser now and am really curious what they do with Gelinas. I'd be surprised if he ends up behind the bench again, so do they officially move him into a player development role instead?
I'm hoping he's moved into a different position. I get that they like having him around and that's fine but not every ex-player makes a great coach.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #760
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm hoping he's moved into a different position. I get that they like having him around and that's fine but not every ex-player makes a great coach.
I agree. He's clearly being used in that sort of role anyway so may as well make it official? Or do they really see him being an actual assistant again?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote