Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #361
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
The City should really send out some Enmax mailer that lists exactly what can and cannot go into the blue bin.

Example, I have heard that single grocery bags just get disposed of. That they want you to collect all plastic and put it in one bag and tie it.

If that is the type of detail they need other than all plastics (other than foil, foam, and food products) and paper go into blue bin then they need to really send out that type of mailer.
You know there's a website, right? And an app?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #362
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

They should make a fridge magnet with a chart on it that lists what can go in each bin and send it out to each home. Everyone would use it and have a reference to check quickly and easily any time they’re unsure.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #363
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
You know there's a website, right? And an app?
And the bin actually came with a tag that told you what to put in it...and they have tv commercials...I think Enmax even lists "tips" at the bottom of the bills.

Last edited by Fuzz; 04-19-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #364
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wouldn’t hurt if they got a bit more specific about preparing the recycling materials - do you have to peel the labels off of cans, remove tape and staples from cardboard boxes, rinse out coffee cups, etc. Some cleaning actually ends up using a lot of water for something like a tuna can or an old jar of peanut butter. At what point are you going overboard on trying to recycle something?

I like the idea of getting charged based on how often you put hour bins out. I don’t think it will be so dramatic that it will drive people to toss there garbage into other peoples bins. I can’t even imagine how much your could save on a smaller bin to make it worth while. I have an uneasy feeling that the city is going to increase the pickup fees just so that they can provide more drastic cuts later on to people who participate in decreased pick-up or smaller bins.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #365
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Someone put some scrap drywall into my blue bin once. The city left a note taped to the bin explaining why they didn't empty the bin. No mention of a fine or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Other municipalities do issue fines. I dont know how the programs work. Im guessing first offense is a warning. Its also likely theyre trying to catch bad offenders who do it regularly or dump hazardous waste into the bin.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #366
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

ooops wrong thread

Last edited by zamler; 04-20-2018 at 01:04 AM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #367
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm amazed how much effort people are willing to put into something so that it can be landfilled in separate piles.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #368
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

@ Wormius...(can't quote)
They are pretty good about telling you what to do with each item.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/...rage-cans.aspx
http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/...ard-boxes.aspx
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #369
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
It's called some things are recyclable in our recycling system and some things are not. Sorry that it'll take you 2 seconds to take the lid off your bottle or 20 seconds to rip out the cardboard.
Has nothing to do with that, it just what the City of Calgary wants in the Blue Bins seems to defy all rational logic about what is and what isn't recyclable.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #370
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Has nothing to do with that, it just what the City of Calgary wants in the Blue Bins seems to defy all rational logic about what is and what isn't recyclable.
Or, maybe, they want to accept all recyclable materials that their plant can process, and not ones they can’t.

Crazy, I know.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote