Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Hiking in the Swiss Alps (Hut to Hut)

I'm just in the info gathering stage of this to see if it's feasible.

Has anyone done any hut to hut hiking in the Alps? How long did you go for? Where did you go? Approx price? Hut recommendations?

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hiking? There is a gondola up every mountain!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’ve done quite a bit.

Tour de Mont Blanc, haute route to Zermatt, lac leman to Mediterranean all highlights as some of the best treks in alps.

It was about 80 euros a night incl food. More when in a town in a hotel. Consider France and Austria as they are significantly cheaper than Switzerland right now.

Route you chose depends on your fitness, time of year and length you want to hike.

Let me know if you have any questions. If you’re looking to book a tour or else have somebody book your huts and transfer your gear I can recommmend a few companies that are great.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
I’ve done quite a bit.

Tour de Mont Blanc, haute route to Zermatt, lac leman to Mediterranean all highlights as some of the best treks in alps.

It was about 80 euros a night incl food. More when in a town in a hotel. Consider France and Austria as they are significantly cheaper than Switzerland right now.

Route you chose depends on your fitness, time of year and length you want to hike.

Let me know if you have any questions. If you’re looking to book a tour or else have somebody book your huts and transfer your gear I can recommmend a few companies that are great.
Thanks for the reply. Other than our backpacks I don’t imagine we’ll have any luggage that we need transported from hut to hut. We’re in decent shape (her better than me) and have done several day hikes in the past. The longest we’ve gone has been about 18km (Tour du Mont Albert in Quebec). Longest time was about 9 hrs (Gros Morne in Newfoundland including a stop for lunch at the top). The highest we’ve been has been approx. 6000ft (several peaks in the Yukon). So I think we’d be up for it, with planning of course.

At this point I’m going to start looking at different routes, hut options, prices, etc. I’ll also look at the trails you mentioned as well as France and Austria.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Some of the backpack routes are pretty busy and huts fill up in July and August. If you can try and go mid-June or September.

If you haven’t done a trek before consider basing yourself in a town and then doing some day hikes to get your fitness up and then a shorter hut trip. It’s a big change for the body to hike every day. Invariably people get worn down in the first few days with foot, knee, body aches that mean you want time off and/or can’t go on. This is especially true the first trek.

If you’re set on Switzerland, Zermatt is incredible as a destination to be based out of. Anywhere in the Bernese Oberland also great. There are tons of hikes in both these areas and lots of huts nearby. Chamonix in France is another great base, but it’s a bigger town. You can use lifts to get rid of most of the pain of 1,000m elevation gains.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by marsplasticeraser; 04-18-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven't done any hut-to-hut hikes in Switzerland, but I have hiked to some of the huts on the Via Alpina.

We stay in the Bernese Oberland (either Kandersteg or Lauterbrunnen) when we visit Switzerland.

From Kandersteg, we hike to Griesalp. This is segment 13.
https://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/hikin...ppe-01558.html
The hike to Hohtürli is awesome.

From Lauterbrunnen, we follow segment 12, which takes you Griesalp via the Rotstockhütte and the Sefinenfurgge.
https://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/hikin...ppe-01557.html
We cheated on this one and rode the tram up to Schiltorn hahaha and then just hiked down a bit to the trail that heads to Sefinenfurgge.

We just hopped on the bus in Griesalp and returned to base.

Although not on the Via Alpina, the hike to the Schreckhornhutte is very impressive and should be considered. You access the trail from Grindelwald/Pfingstegg (cheat and take the tram to Pfingstegg). It's about a five hour hike one way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post: