Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #2021
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I personally think a lot of people in the corporate world are suffering this right now, people can't just WORK anymore. With the big data, analytics, tracking, and software systems that everybody is deploying now, a lot of people do more work trying to prove they are busy than actually working!!
Haha wow this speaks to my past work life. Upper management wanted to know how their engineers were spending their time so they implemented this ridiculous cumbersome time tracker software. Every time we performed a task we had to go to the time tracker and document it. Problem was, it could take more time to fill out the time tracker than to do the task. I embraced this irony and would track the time I spent in the time tracker.

They eventually did away with it.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #2022
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I personally think a lot of people in the corporate world are suffering this right now, people can't just WORK anymore. With the big data, analytics, tracking, and software systems that everybody is deploying now, a lot of people do more work trying to prove they are busy than actually working!!

Some of these coaches, especially ones who never played the game at the highest level and had a lot of success are forced into this type of mentality. It sometimes becomes salary justification because a coach who runs quick practices, motivates, draws up a simple and easy to execute game plan and runs a bench easily will be questioned if losses pile up. These coaches need endless video sessions and rules and need to come up with fresh ideas to show that they are actually doing something to make their teams better.

I wonder what would happen if we ever went back the coaching of many years ago where there may have been a head coach and maybe an assistant talking to these players but with some of the standards and technical knowledge of today?? Today's players have so many voices they have to listen to... head coach, assistant coaches, video coaches, skills coaches, team trainers, personal trainers, team physical therapists and than personal ones as well. If a young guy is up and down between the minors and the big club, you can almost double it. Is everybody on the same page? I doubt it but I am sure the message sometimes get's confusing.

What I have found as a management consultant working on many of these types of projects in the past is that it is the low performing members of teams who complain about "the tracking takes too much time away from my actual work" and I would say in about 95% of cases it was the high performers on a team who didn't mind tracking what they did with their time. And these programs are actually proven worldwide to improve productivity (*if correctly implemented and effectively managed*)

I do agree however that in professional sports you need a coaching staff that is focused on the right things and if you aren't turning over every possible stone to make your team better you probably aren't maximizing the talent at your disposal.

It's your call but give me a coach who uses all the analytics and information, experience, relationships possible at his disposal and then through that process realizes that the best thing for his team is a simple game plan than the old school guy who just goes in there and guesses that the way he's always done it is the way that will work or the GG way of saying "I have a system and this is it and I'm not going to change it ever"
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #2023
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

How would you track time spent on CP during work? Not that any of us are slacking off at work, I assume we all work the graveyard shift.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #2024
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
What I have found as a management consultant working on many of these types of projects in the past is that it is the low performing members of teams who complain about "the tracking takes too much time away from my actual work" and I would say in about 95% of cases it was the high performers on a team who didn't mind tracking what they did with their time. And these programs are actually proven worldwide to improve productivity (*if correctly implemented and effectively managed*)

I do agree however that in professional sports you need a coaching staff that is focused on the right things and if you aren't turning over every possible stone to make your team better you probably aren't maximizing the talent at your disposal.

It's your call but give me a coach who uses all the analytics and information, experience, relationships possible at his disposal and then through that process realizes that the best thing for his team is a simple game plan than the old school guy who just goes in there and guesses that the way he's always done it is the way that will work or the GG way of saying "I have a system and this is it and I'm not going to change it ever"
So productive there was no time for commas lol.
Good post, good points, fair subject matter, but I can’t believe you put all that in 4 sentences. My brain is out of breath lol.
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:32 AM   #2025
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
How would you track time spent on CP during work?
"Market research"

Quote:
I would say in about 95% of cases it was the high performers on a team who didn't mind tracking what they did with their time. And these programs are actually proven worldwide to improve productivity (*if correctly implemented and effectively managed*)
How did you identify the high performers? If it was by the data provided by the time tracker, these conclusions would be obvious!

You're right about it improving productivity though. Problem is, it's akin to putting a camera behind someone's desk to watch what they're doing for 8 hours. Not the kind of motivation most people would stomach long-term. I understand management's desire to have these metrics but I think it's often used in place of actually being on the floor and knowing your people and what they bring.

Anyway this is way off topic now.

I hope Bill Peters doesn't implement a time tracking software.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #2026
Browndog71
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
"Market research"

How did you identify the high performers? If it was by the data provided by the time tracker, these conclusions would be obvious!

You're right about it improving productivity though. Problem is, it's akin to putting a camera behind someone's desk to watch what they're doing for 8 hours. Not the kind of motivation most people would stomach long-term. I understand management's desire to have these metrics but I think it's often used in place of actually being on the floor and knowing your people and what they bring.

Anyway this is way off topic now.

I hope Bill Peters doesn't implement a time tracking software.

Unless its to track the amount of time that Brouwer's butt is stapled to the bench or press box....
Browndog71 is offline   Reply With Quote