Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #801
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Used to be a fan of Soilwork. now their sound irritates me to no end. I even went to see them in concert a couple years ago. They had Darkane open for them and I thought Darkane was better. Even walked out half way through Soilworks show. Which made me a little sad.

I think I was over Killswitch a long time ago, Liked a couple songs but could never get through a whole album without switching songs.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #802
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just discovered these guys today, thought I would share for those who do not know who they are.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #803
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Just discovered these guys today, thought I would share for those who do not know who they are.
For similar bands I'd recommend (in case you don't know them already): The Absence, Insomnium, Miseration, Omnium Gatherum.

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #804
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Massive Insomnium fan here, exactly how I found Be'Lakor yesterday. DT is also one of my favorites right now.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #805
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another epic band I've been feasting my ears on for years

Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #806
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave Lombardo out as Slayer drummer, Kerry King still in as one of the biggest #######s in music.

Quote:
Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo will not be joining the famed metal act on their upcoming Australian tour following a disagreement with fellow band members about the band's finances.

In a
post on his Facebook page, Lombardo apologized to fans that he would not be sitting behind the kit before outlining the events that led to his removal from the Australian tour leg. "I'm saddened, and to be honest, I am shocked by the situation," he wrote.

Last year, Lombardo said, he discovered that 90 percent of Slayer's tour income was being deducted as expenses, including fees to management, costing the band millions and leaving them with about 10 percent to split four ways. While he and bassist/singer Tom Araya hired auditors to figure out what had happened, Lombardo says he was never allowed to see any of the information obtained.

According to Lombardo, he spoke with Araya and Slayer guitarist Kerry King at a rehearsal last week about a new financial model, but King was not interested "and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer." When Lombardo showed up to the band's next rehearsal, he was the only one there, then received an e-mail hours later from the band's lawyers saying he'd been replaced for the Australian dates.

"I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues," wrote Lombardo at the end of the statement. "But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the three of us original Slayer members."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-tour-20130222

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-22-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #807
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
5 minutes ago: find out there's a Gojira/Townsend show at Mac Hall starting in 45 minutes

3 minutes ago: call Mac Hall to find out it sold out half an hour prior

Present moment:
I found out on the bus on the ride home from work. Then in an emergency couldn't go because my friend had to run out and ditched me with her ten-year old daughter.

When I found out it was all-ages, I said "eff it" and took her to the show.

They had sold out by the time we got there, and actually missed Devin. But someone in charge of the event/doors came to greet us and took us in for free.

That kid learned some s**t. Total culture shock.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #808
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Alice Cooper at the roundhouse back in the early seventies, I must have been 9 or 10, didn't do me any harm, now the art galleries full of performance artists crapping into diapers and the like, that effed me up for decades, bloody art school teaching father!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #809
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clive Burr, former drummer for Iron Maiden, died last night.

Quote:
We are deeply saddened to report that Clive Burr passed away last night. He had suffered poor health for many years after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and died peacefully in his sleep at home.

Steve Harris said “This is terribly sad news. Clive was a very old friend of all of us. He was a wonderful person and an amazing drummer who made a valuable contribution to Maiden in the early days when we were starting out. This is a sad day for everyone in the band and those around him and our thoughts and condolences are with his partner Mimi and family at this time."

Bruce Dickinson adds “I first met Clive when he was leaving Samson and joining Iron Maiden. He was a great guy and a man who really lived his life to the full. Even during the darkest days of his M.S., Clive never lost his sense of humour or irreverence. This is a terribly sad day and all our thoughts are with Mimi and the family”

As Maiden fans all know, Clive joined Maiden in 1979 and performed on the first three albums Iron Maiden (1980), Killers (1981) and The Number Of The Beast (1982). Prior to that he was a member of Samson, the band Bruce fronted before he too joined Maiden.
http://www.ironmaiden.com/former-iro...sses-away.html

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #810
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Floor doing this song is pretty fantastic.

Also..

Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #811
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraisoup View Post
Floor doing this song is pretty fantastic.

i was in Seattle for her first ever performance with the band. while she had to look at the lyric sheets from time, she was incredible considering that she had to fly out there from Europe the previous day. the way she can cover both the Tarja songs and the Annette songs so well is awesome, i got to hear a lot of the classics that i never did when they toured with Annette. plus Floor is more metal than either of them, i really hope she stays on as the permanent vocalist

skip to 8:15 for Dark Chest of Wonders. i liked Annette, but she could never do this song justice

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #812
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #813
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i was in Seattle for her first ever performance with the band. while she had to look at the lyric sheets from time, she was incredible considering that she had to fly out there from Europe the previous day. the way she can cover both the Tarja songs and the Annette songs so well is awesome, i got to hear a lot of the classics that i never did when they toured with Annette. plus Floor is more metal than either of them, i really hope she stays on as the permanent vocalist

skip to 8:15 for Dark Chest of Wonders. i liked Annette, but she could never do this song justice
She is pretty fantastic, I really hope they keep her as the permanent vocalist now.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #814
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Just saw Volbeat for the first time tonight, pretty good show.

I have to say that if Hetfield ever leaves Metallica, Danko Jones could easily replace him and improve the band.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #815
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would like to share a track off my band's 2011 release named Reality Hammer. The song is Uzumaki (Spiral Stairs) and the band is Sacred Ally.

Lead guitar fans should enjoy this!
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayocal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #816
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Here's another one. A little less straight forward and even more guitar madness. Kermit the Prog.

Last edited by jayocal; 04-07-2013 at 03:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayocal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #817
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

New Kalmah song.

New CD hits stores June 17.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #818
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayocal View Post
I would like to share a track off my band's 2011 release named Reality Hammer. The song is Uzumaki (Spiral Stairs) and the band is Sacred Ally.

Lead guitar fans should enjoy this!
Where can a guy get one of your CDs? I have one I bought at one of your shows years ago at Underground and would love another one.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #819
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Where can a guy get one of your CDs? I have one I bought at one of your shows years ago at Underground and would love another one.
Very cool, thank you. PM sent. We appreciate your support!

I miss the Underground. Definitely one of my favorite places to play and see shows.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #820
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Me too! Me too!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote