Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #161
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Haha, good to see you. And when I yelled out CHL it really was a shot in the dark. Saw the nice Audi and thought it could be you.
The weird thing is that someone else had the same car as me in the same colour one row over. I started walking towards it thinking, "Man, I need to hit the car wash when I get home... hey, I thought I was parked closer in... wait... my roof box isn't a Yakima." So you could have easily guessed the wrong Audi.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #162
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Well Fernie got its first big pow day yesterday, and what an absolute nightmare. Essential travel my arse, half the hill was Albertans. The hill needs the tourism, but I heard the chatter going through the area and some of the locals aren't too happy about it. What a total gong show though, I don't think they were ready for that. I opted to go sledding instead which was the best choice I could have made. Took my wife 45 mins to go from our house to the ski team drop off point, which is usually 5-7 minutes. F that.

They're also stopping traffic at the resort turnoff from Hiway 3 which is a major PITA. All the through traffic was PISSED for them backing the hiway up into town, and that poor soul at the intersection clearly hated his life for being the guy told to do it.

RCR needs a better plan than what they orchestrated yesterday. Hopefully they adjust, because people are going to lose their marbles if they don't.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #163
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They're also stopping traffic at the resort turnoff from Hiway 3 which is a major PITA. All the through traffic was PISSED for them backing the hiway up into town, and that poor soul at the intersection clearly hated his life for being the guy told to do it.
Huh. Why?

Not terribly surprised RCR doesn’t have their #### in order but hopefully they can sort it out quick here.

Fernie (and Golden too, Revy to a lesser extent) are in a weird spot. Then being in BC sometimes feels like a technicality given their proximity to Calgary. Still, even though I’d love to go I’ve been avoiding them given the public health request. Hopeful at some point we’ll be able to venture as far as Rogers Pass though... a season in the backcountry without Rogers Pass to look forward to would be quite sad.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #164
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So much for worrying about parking. There's no one here.
Yup, cool-guy-hour'ed right into first row.

Quote:
If you came late, you done goofed.
1,000 days in at Louise; I know where to find the goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Rode West bowl this morning. I've been in there before while touring but I have to admit the day after leftovers were suprisingly good. Two thumbs up that you still get to hit the park every lap. When the collector fills in a bit more there's going to be a bunch of good side hits too. Good lap.
Agreed. My only gripe is that I could rock thru Star Wars, pumping thru the trees, where as the ski-out back is too slow (snowboard)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
After skiing Louise my entire 30+ year life, I entered west bowl for the first time over the weekend and it blew me away. Its huge, a patroller told me it now represents 30% of the total skiable area of the resort. The fact you have to take 3 chairs to get to the entrance and have to ski to the base seems annoying however definitely limits people lapping the area and using all the fresh snow which allows you to get good untouched turns in later on in the day, so I'm all for it.

Little disappointed the platter was replaced with the chair as I always liked that the platter filtered out those who couldn't handle the terrain with the horribly painful lift up, but the new chair is so wind exposed it might keep people away for that reason alone. That said with this much new area you have to have a chair so I cant really complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Hmm, "30% of total skiable area" is exactly the kind of number I was looking for but based on the googling I did this morning I'm not sure the patroller's math adds up.

West Bowl is 480 skiable acres.
Lake Louise is 4200 skiable acres.

I did the math earlier to compare with some of the smaller mountains and came up with 2.5x Norquay (190 acres), 0.8x Cypress (600 acres) or 0.5x Nakiska (1021 acres) lol.
I think the problem with much of Louise' marketed, skiable acrege is that it falls below a tree-line that cannot be gladed (parks), vs wide-open West Bowl. While there are pockets, to exploit pow in the lower, trees -- ultimately un-gladed coniferous trees, are a heckuva natural deterrent to ripping thru them. It's how I best explain the benefit of Japan vs the Rockies. Where-as the Hokkaido resorts, are for the most part but a small fraction the size of our big 2, their addressable acreage can be ripped in totality. Their hills are covered with deciduous (infamous cherry blossoms in many spots), and as such the base can be ripped right to the trunk. Coniferous △ vs Decidious ▽ (plus Hokkaido gets absolutely nuked on)

Thus, the patroller may have been on the thought of actual skiable terrain, increased 30%. Not outlandish.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #165
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ yup, that’s a fair point. TBH when I googled it I thought it would be more, so it’s possible the 4200 counts a lot of “skiable terrain” that isn’t really all that skiable.

Also complete agreement on Hokkaido. The other thing that makes it feel bigger (just looked it up, “only” 2200 acres) is the dome mountain shape, so you have three base areas 20 mins apart instead of just the one (and then everything comes together at the top). What I wouldn’t give to be back there this January...

Last edited by Flames0910; 12-23-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #166
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Any recommendations for a place to take the kids where we can stay right on the mountain but isn’t going cost an arm and a leg? Lake Louise is showing $3-400 a night. Seems crazy.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #167
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panorama is the only option for affordable on mountain accommodation, I think. SSV is crazy expensive. All of Louise's lodging is in town (which is a 5 minute drive). The Lake Louise inn is the cheapest there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #168
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Panorama is the only option for affordable on mountain accommodation, I think. SSV is crazy expensive. All of Louise's lodging is in town (which is a 5 minute drive). The Lake Louise inn is the cheapest there.
That’s a bit of a hike, but isn’t too bad.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #169
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

So it will be mine and my sisters family.

So now looking at some lodges on hill. Air bnb style. 350- 400 a night isn’t too bad split in half.

Any recommendations on those.

Looking at one in panorama and one in castle
Old 01-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #170
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
So it will be mine and my sisters family.

So now looking at some lodges on hill. Air bnb style. 350- 400 a night isn’t too bad split in half.

Any recommendations on those.

Looking at one in panorama and one in castle
Don't be advertising that you're going to break provincial health rules . If you're going you may as well add non-essential travel to the infractions list and go to BC. Fernie is only 30 minutes longer drive than castle and lots of lodging and way more to do.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #171
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Don't be advertising that you're going to break provincial health rules . If you're going you may as well add non-essential travel to the infractions list and go to BC. Fernie is only 30 minutes longer drive than castle and lots of lodging and way more to do.
We’re planning on booking in March. Hopefully restrictions have been eased up. Not planning on breaking any health rules. My sister is a nurse in the hospital here..

And I will check Fernie. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #172
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
We’re planning on booking in March. Hopefully restrictions have been eased up. Not planning on breaking any health rules. My sister is a nurse in the hospital here..

And I will check Fernie. Thanks!
You bet (and I was joking, assumed you'd be going later in the season). If you want to drive even further, Kimberley is a cool town and an ok little hill if they have snow.
Lots of on-mountain lodging.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #173
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I’m really digging panorama right now.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #174
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panorama is only good with really good snow imo. March might be pushing it for the hill.

I’d check out kickinghorse.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #175
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I will.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:53 PM   #176
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Panorama is only good with really good snow imo. March might be pushing it for the hill.

I’d check out kickinghorse.
Depending when in March. They're open until April. First two weeks are usually still okay.

Not a chance I'd touch Kicking Horse this year with the bottleneck at the gondola.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #177
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Depending when in March. They're open until April. First two weeks are usually still okay.

Not a chance I'd touch Kicking Horse this year with the bottleneck at the gondola.
I didn’t think it was an issue with the reservation system. Some friends went over the break and never mentioned issues. I was there in March on the first day they wouldn’t mix different groups in the gondola and it was only an issue on the first run.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #178
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Some friends went over the break and never mentioned issues.
Oh? Surprising. Good to know.

I didn't realize they implemented reservations.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #179
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i am looking at the webcams for Kimberly and it looks pretty much deserted, am i missing something here. I know its never as busy as Louise or Sunshine but this is crazy.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #180
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
i am looking at the webcams for Kimberly and it looks pretty much deserted, am i missing something here. I know its never as busy as Louise or Sunshine but this is crazy.
Kimberley, much like Panorama, Fernie and Revelstoke, attract a lot of Albertans for ski vacations or weekends. With Covid restrictions in BC and Alberta it shouldn't be a surprise if the hills are pretty empty. I don't think Panorama has suffered too much as I still hear that a lot of families are traveling to Panorama as they essentially consider it to be part of Alberta.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote