Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2021, 04:54 PM   #781
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious, what crypto exchange platforms are you guys using?

I currently have Bitbuy and Coinberry, which have been pretty good, I just don't like the limited amount of coins they trade (plus Coinberry seems to have a pretty high premium). I like Binance, but funding from a Canadian account seems to be problematic.

Curious what others use? I'd love to be able to have access to more alt coins.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #782
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
so how do you capture that capital gain and submit with taxes?
The easiest method IMO is to record the C$ value of the various cryptocurrencies at the time of the transaction. So a transaction to use BTC to buy ETH, would be recorded as BTC->C$->ETH. In that way you keep track the cost base in C$ of your crypto holdings.

For a few trades, this could be done manually but if you trade a lot it could be a lot of hassle though. There are programs that can automate a lot of the work like koinly.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #783
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I like Binance, but funding from a Canadian account seems to be problematic.
For an exchange like Binance, the best funding option is probably to buy a liquid crypto with many trading pairs like BTC or ETH from acquaintances, or sites like ShakePay or Newton that you can easily fund with INTERAC etransfers, then transfer the BTC/ETH to Binance.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 05:06 PM   #784
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Just curious, what crypto exchange platforms are you guys using?

I currently have Bitbuy and Coinberry, which have been pretty good, I just don't like the limited amount of coins they trade (plus Coinberry seems to have a pretty high premium). I like Binance, but funding from a Canadian account seems to be problematic.

Curious what others use? I'd love to be able to have access to more alt coins.
I am using Shakepay to etransfer funds from my bank to purchase BTC. Then you can transfer the BTC from Shakepay to Binance or any other exchange to purchase whatever you want.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 10:55 PM   #785
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Well congrats to you for holding out in a crypto market, I can't believe its still going up and I still won't step into that market as it scares me too much. I always believed in BTC but not like this, I could have never imagined and I still think there has to be a crash but damn. up 130% in a week and still climbing scares me just thinking about it. Easy for some of you guys to recommend buying because you have gained so much but recommending someone to jump in now? that's bold.
The way money is being printed I am more bullish than ever. Many of the worlds largest companies are buying as much BTC as they can get their hands on as the USD becomes worth less everyday.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #786
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I just don't see the doom and gloom around the USD.

People look at the stimulus and all the money being printed, but they don't understand how big the USD is, and how much is bought and sold with it.

IMO I think you would need complete world unrest and civil war in multiple 1st world countries before it would devalue to the point where it would be a concern.

I am bullish on BTC as well, but because of the technology, and where fintech is going.

Anyone that runs a business and deals with currency, exchanges fees, credit card fees, etc, etc knows there is room for disruption in the space.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #787
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the most sobering stats I've heard is that something like 21-23% of all US Currency was printed in 2020 alone. So almost a quarter of all the money that's out there was "minted" in the last year (and I doubt it's slowed down much going into 2021). The chart below is for the US, but pretty much every relevant central bank has been doing something similar I'm sure.

Spoiler!

Personally, it's seeing charts like that that makes me a bear not only on the USD, but in FIAT currency in general. You don't have to be a Wharton grad to understand what's going to happen to the value of your cash savings when so much money is being pumped into the system.

Now I don't necessarily think crypto is the only answer to counter this type of devaluation, but I do think it's part of the answer.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #788
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I just don't see the USD being devalued because I don't know what will replace it.

I agree that the amount being printed is a big concern, but at some point that is also going to equal unmitigated growth in the economy.

Pumping $1.9 trillion in stimulus into the economy is going to be insane.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #789
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not about replacing it, it's about storing your wealth in something that doesn't lose value daily.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:12 AM   #790
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

SEC filing shows that Tesla bought $1.5B in Bitcoin. Here comes another wave up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #791
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the current jump/hold on Ethereum and spike in Ravencoin, I've turned 3 of my units (3080, 2080 and 1080) into passive miners (memory upclocked, GPU downclocked, all undervolted by 30%).

Curious to see how all this shakes out over the next few months but grateful to have the extra heat in my basement this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #792
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla buys 1.5B of BTC today...price now just under 55k Canadian

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Last edited by dino7c; 02-08-2021 at 11:25 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #793
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1358920387707428868
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #794
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

$60K Cdn bitcoin. Makes me sad cause if I were a bit smarter awhile back I would have set myself and my family up for life. Congrats to all the bitcoin millionaires ��
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #795
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get in now. There are plenty of projects that are going to give you a nice return in the long run. Don't always have to chase the pumps. Just put in what you can and check back in a few years.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #796
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I remember a buddy wondering out loud on whether he should put money in bitcoin when it was about $10,000 and we all told him he would be crazy to do it

I'm not making that mistake now. I've started putting money into Ethereum. It was $1400 last week when I made that decision but jumped to $2200 this week by the time I had my money ready. I'll keep throwing spare money at it every now and then and hope that it explodes in a few years.

I have little experience in this stuff so don't take my word as meaning anything. I just fancy a bit of a gamble.

Last edited by Swift; 02-09-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:32 PM   #797
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I'm not making that mistake now. I've started putting money into Ethereum. It was $1400 last week when I made that decision but jumped to $2200 this week by the time I had my money ready. I'll keep throwing spare money at it every now and then and hope that it explodes in a few years.

I have little experience in this stuff so don't take my word as meaning anything. I just fancy a bit of a gamble.
What are you using to buy Ethereum? I'm getting kind of bored without being able to play craps during the lockdown.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #798
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Wealthsimple Crypto - download the app, add funds, a few days later you're good to go. They only have Ethereum and Bitcoin on there.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #799
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shakepay is great to purchase eth and btc in canada
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #800
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks! I'll look at those. I was also looking at bitbuy.ca, seems fairly legit.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum