Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ever quit Caffeine? The stopping Caffeine thread.

Within the last couple of years or so my caffeine intake has literally gone through the roof where I drink it simply out of habit. i.e. If it is there, I drink it. Fair to say I am addicted to it. I don't even know much about it, just a double double sort of fella. Lately, and what has stimulated this desire to quit is that I have found myself drinking more and more coke. Whereby I was a very rare pop drinker now it is a stable resident in my fridge. On top of maybe a pot of coffee I now have 3-4 cans of pop a day. Where I used to have milk/water with meals I now HAVE to have a can of coke.

I honestly can't say I've noticed any side effects (that I am aware of ) but having said that I'm aware that I drink way too much of it and it's something I want to eliminate totally from my daily life.

So, I'm basically looking for advice from any experts in the field or anyone that has done anything similar. I'm going to go cold turkey to just get er done. Any recommendations for substitutions (I'm just thinking water) and are the withdrawal effects as bad as they say?

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/my-caffeine-detox
I'm #2. Want to stop before #3 and 4.

Thanks.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

I quit coffee for a while. I simply replaced it with a hot, non caffeinated beverage - usually peppermint tea.

I found it worked very well. Once I got over the slight headaches I realized that I really just wanted something warm to drink
Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there a particular reason you quit and why for a while?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quit caffeine cold turkey about 18 months ago. I was drinking 2-3 cups of black tea and probably 5-6 cokes per day, which is ridiculous. My caffeinne consumption had been growing for years, and there was definitely a period of detox, where I was tired and didn't feel well. Actual physical symptoms were only a few days, but my wife informs me I was a grumpy cuss for about a month. YMMV.

I find I'm sleeping much better, and need much less sleep than before, which is awesome. It's also much more convenient, as I can go places and not be trying to scope out a coke machine all the time.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quit caffeine?

Are you insane?

Seriously, good luck kicking any habit is difficult.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever quit caffeine. I love coffee too much, and I find caffeine helps put me in a better state of mind. A friend recently shared an article on Facebook about Outgoing Introverts. It really struck a chord with me as it fit me to a tee. I commented on the article to which he replied saying that I was the best example of an outgoing introvert he has ever met.

Basically I like to be outgoing but I'm introverted by nature. Caffeine allows me to be more out going. Heck even my wife says I'm a different person before I have my morning cup of joe.

Some might say that's a bad thing, but frankly if you're more alert, function better, and are happier with a cup of coffee I don't see the harm.

There have been periods of my life where I was drinking far too much. I won't drink coffee after the late afternoon (generally) and have all but eliminated caffeinated pop (and pop in general).

I'm down to 1-2 cups of coffee a day. Since cutting back I find my sleep is deeper and better, but I think a total withdrawl would leave me in agony.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I quit for a while around 10 years ago (at the time was drinking about 4 cups of coffee a day). I had headaches for about a week, after which I was fine.

Then one morning a few months later I was feeling really tired and had 1 cup of coffee and got hooked again. I have been able to keep it at a consistent 2 cups a day though, which I'm ok with.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Was there a particular reason you quit and why for a while?
I was drinking probably 4 cups during the work day and I just started to feel gross every afternoon.

Quit, switched to tea, jonesed for coffee for a while, eventually leveled off and drank tea exclusively.

That probably lasted for 18 months or so, at which point I started drinking the odd cup of coffee at home. Now I drink about one cup of coffee a day, sometimes more on Saturday. But I don't get headaches if I miss my hit

Today is a gym day, so I probably won't have a coffee today and I'll likely just stick to water.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

How badly did it damage your roof?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Personally, I don't think I'd ever quit caffeine. I love coffee too much, and I find caffeine helps put me in a better state of mind. A friend recently shared an article on Facebook about Outgoing Introverts. It really struck a chord with me as it fit me to a tee. I commented on the article to which he replied saying that I was the best example of an outgoing introvert he has ever met.
I read that article too, and it describes me quite well. Why do you think you have to be more outgoing? Should we be taking stimulants to be something we are not?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10472512

Results do not support the hypothesis that caffeine differentially affects extraverts and introverts, particularly at different times of the day.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10...id-coffee.html
After ingesting about two cups of coffee, extraverts carry out tasks more efficiently, whereas introverts perform less well. This deficit is magnified if the task they are engaging in is quantitative and if it is done under time pressure.

For an introvert, an innocent couple cups of coffee before a meeting may prove challenging, particularly if the purpose of the meeting is a rapid-fire discussion of budget projections, data analysis, or similar quantitative concerns. In the same meeting, an extraverted colleague is likely to benefit from a caffeine kick.

Last edited by troutman; 02-05-2015 at 09:16 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have never successfully quit, but I'd love to. I wasn't a coffee drinker until joining the working world (well, I would drink coffee when/if pulling all nighters at university, but never a daily habit) but am now a full on junkie.

I have 5 or 6 coffees per day at work. Part of the problem is the availability. It's not like I have to even leave the office to get some coffee, I just walk up to the machine and push a few buttons and there it is. I find I will only have two, maybe even just one cup of coffee when I'm at home on the weekends. Maybe the other big problem is the stress of work - feeling so busy and like I need to be 100% sharp all the time driving me to the machine.

I've tried (and will try again) by cutting back, then switching to green tea....then maybe herbal tea.

Good luck!
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon96Taco For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
I quit coffee for a while. I simply replaced it with a hot, non caffeinated beverage - usually peppermint tea.

I found it worked very well. Once I got over the slight headaches I realized that I really just wanted something warm to drink
By slight headache, do you mean excruciating headache?

Maybe I am a wimp (ok, I know that I am), but I find caffeine withdrawal headaches unbearable sometimes. I only drink one cup of coffee a day, but have been drinking it since I was about 10 years old.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #12
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was drinking about 6 cups a day when i decided to quit a couple months ago I switched to decaf green tea. now i don't even drink green tea really just water, i also was drinking a couple cans of pop a day which i switched to diet pop which i drink way less maybe half a can a day now. I lost about twenty pounds just from those two changes (mostly from cutting out pop i know). sometimes i really miss coffee though

Last edited by Robo; 02-05-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
By slight headache, do you mean excruciating headache?

Maybe I am a wimp (ok, I know that I am), but I find caffeine withdrawal headaches unbearable sometimes. I only drink one cup of coffee a day, but have been drinking it since I was about 10 years old.
no i remember the headaches equalling that of a bad hangover for a while also
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to constantly drink coffee, but now I just keep it to a single cup in the mornings. After that, I just switch to something warm to drink like the above poster mentioned. I don't think I had any major symptoms from cutting back, or if I did I confused them with something else like a dehydration headache or something.

A good way that I found to stay on track is by keeping a thermos nearby with hot water for tea or whatever. Peppermint tea is good. You can also make a nice drink by just slicing a lemon and adding a wee bit of sugar to hot water.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like most things, caffeine is (IMO) fine in moderation.

I will drink 2-3 cups a day, but never drink it after 10 am. If I do I don't sleep at night.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I swapped coffee to hot chocolate
Tea became hot water
Pop became juice

Worked for a few months, headaches gone/blurred vision, better sleep etc. Then I went back to drinking tea.

I've reverted back to drinking tea regularly (start normal and just keep adding water until it's super weak tea) and the occasional cup of coffee (which is not as strong as the super potent stuff I used to make myself). I find when I drink coffee 2-3 days in a row, I get migraines. Tea is ok though.

What might help is to start by reducing your intake or swapping it to deal with the habit of drinking the hot drink. Consider diluting your drinks and reducing the per cup consumption. Another thing I did was to mix my beverages. Coffee + hot chocolate = less caffeine overall and slowly I would increase the % of hot chocolate. Tea, add more water and/or steep less. Pop, Sprite + cranberry juice? I stopped with the juice though. I found I got sore shoulders if I drank juice first thing in the morning.

I know some people use the decaf method... I don't like that method.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #17
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I drank 5-6 coffees per day, I'd spend the majority of my day in the bathroom.

How do y'all deal with the gut rot?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #18
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

one of the guys that works for me starts his day with huge cup of coffee and then has at least 2 energy drinks (monster/nos/rockstar/etc.) throughout the day

he tried to quit them and only lasted a couple days. i was sorta glad becuz he was not very fun to be around when he tried. apparently he had brutal headaches and i can vouch for the really bad mood!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
one of the guys that works for me starts his day with huge cup of coffee and then has at least 2 energy drinks (monster/nos/rockstar/etc.) throughout the day

he tried to quit them and only lasted a couple days. i was sorta glad becuz he was not very fun to be around when he tried. apparently he had brutal headaches and i can vouch for the really bad mood!
Is it possible that you caused his bad mood........cuz

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #20
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've quit a number of times. I've really grown to enjoy the taste of coffee so the caffeine aspect of it isn't an important part of getting me through the day. I typically drink water.

The big thing for me was/is pop. I think at it's worst I was drinking something like two cans per day. If it's in my house, I'll consume it so I just don't buy cases of pop anymore. I also told a guy I work with that if he ever catches me with a pop in the office I'd owe him a pop. It's not an expensive consequence but I just don't really want to buy him one lol.

I am usually a little more tired for the first couple of days but then it seems to level out and I don't get that "crash" around lunch.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post: