Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #41
mrgreen
Farm Team Player

Exp:

You can be considerate to a point then people really just have to suck it up. We were all babies once and there's really only so much you can do to try and please people. Some will just be awkward just for the sake of it. Once had a miserable ####er in front of us with a spare seat next to him complain our two year old kicked his seat a few times by accident. Nothing much you can do about idiots.
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #42
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw a post somewhere once about a couple making care packages for the passengers near them. They included ear plugs, some candy/snacks, some other random things and a note that apologized in advance in case their child screamed and cried the whole trip.

I thought that was neat.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #43
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
Save yourself the aggravation and check the seat.

"The plane crashed, but thank goodness we had that car seat."
On our next flight I paid extra for a seat, as the car seat is the best chance for our guy to fall asleep...very familiar.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #44
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

For my little guys fist flight (11 months) we used liquid gravol. It was our savior for sure. Just check with your doc to get right dosage.

We never used it for the return trip and he was good as gold.
He's flown internationally 4 times since and loves flying - no fusses!

His sister has now flown 3 times and we used the same routine and except for one minor and quick cry on the descent, has adapted just like her brother.

Last edited by csnarpy; 11-13-2012 at 10:07 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #45
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen View Post
You can be considerate to a point then people really just have to suck it up. We were all babies once and there's really only so much you can do to try and please people. Some will just be awkward just for the sake of it. Once had a miserable ####er in front of us with a spare seat next to him complain our two year old kicked his seat a few times by accident. Nothing much you can do about idiots.
Schadenfreude. If all else fails, you can take subtle pleasure in their misery. Nobody gets on a plane and incites their kids to poor behavior, so there's really no excuse for people being miserable about it.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #46
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
I saw a post somewhere once about a couple making care packages for the passengers near them. They included ear plugs, some candy/snacks, some other random things and a note that apologized in advance in case their child screamed and cried the whole trip.

I thought that was neat.
I posted that in the Funny and Cool picture thread. Here it is again:

WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #47
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
On our last trip to Maui (January) we brought the car seat on board, took all of 30 seconds to have it strapped in and secure.

Wait a minute, kids have to be sitting in car seats on the flight??
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #48
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Schadenfreude. If all else fails, you can take subtle pleasure in their misery. Nobody gets on a plane and incites their kids to poor behavior, so there's really no excuse for people being miserable about it.
While I would agree that people do not "incite" their children to engage in poor behaviour on aircraft, many parents do little to nothing when it does occur. This is what tends to exacerbate an already problematic situation (air travel) for many people. I am sure that there are times when a small child is in physical discomfort and beyond consolation and in those times I feel for both the child and the parent.

There have been some well-thought out ideas and pointers for what can be done to ease everyone's burden during a long-haul flight. Doing nothing or "not worrying about other passengers" is wrong on many levels as it denotes a complete lack of social responsibility. Though there are passengers whose patience for anything unforeseen, be it irritable children or perceived poor in-flight service, is non-existant. No one likes to be sat next to people like this for any duration.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #49
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Wait a minute, kids have to be sitting in car seats on the flight??
No they don't have to. But they can, and as has been mentioned it can be good because the child is ready used to being stuck in it. And it is safer.

Kids under 2 can just be lap held, and then you don't have to pay for a seat. Over 2 they need their own seat regardless of if you bring the car seat or not.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 11-14-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #50
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly, Littletime definitely enjoyed being in the familiar confines of her car seat on that long flight. Back in October we were off to YWG for a few days and I tried letting her just use the seat, she didn't mind it but kept wanting to play with the seat belt, so that was a bit of a challenge.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote