Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Lastly, if the kid is having a meltdown, most crews don't mind if you bring your baby in the back to stand up and rock them. Just make sure they are done their drink/food service, and that the seat belt sign is off, and it's usually not a big deal, plus the people around you will appreciate it too.
This is a good point (as were all of your points!) as the back of the plane tends to be louder as well, thus helping to drown out the noise.

We travelled with my little guy to England when he was six months old, and it was tricky but manageable as he wasn't as mobile. Then we went to San Francisco at eleven months and it was more difficult. He didn't want to sit still, the plane was completely full so there was no chance of an extra seat, etc. It was still not too bad, but just make sure that you give them as much chance to eat, drink, nap, be changed, etc. as possible and you'll increase the odds of success.

You'll find that the crew, airport staff, security staff, etc. are all very accommodating if you're travelling with a baby/toddler. The sternest-looking security lady can't help but smile when they see a baby. Just ask lots of questions like "can I bring this drink through for him" at security or "do I have to declare his raisins" at customs and they seem to cut you some slack whenever possible. Being up front and polite is always how I roll, but with kid you'll have a lot of extra foods, drinks, creams, etc. that are likely permissible if you just ask.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't worry about your kid too much, just do your best. Probably 50% or more of the people on the flight are parents or grandparents. We've been there and done that.

I've flown Halifax to Edmonton with a screaming kid right behind me. I had a big smile on my face the whole time... because it wasn't my kid.

But when flying with my kids when they were 1, we played a game called grumpy face, surprised face on takeoff and landing. The surprised face is with the mouth wide open like a yawn. We practiced for a few days before each flight and didn't have any problems on any of the flights.
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't worry, be happy. Seriously. The more relaxed you and your wife are, the more relaxed your baby will be.

We flew to Hawaii in April with an 8 month baby. She is a happy go lucky kid and we just decided to be relaxed about the flight. Easy to do since she was our 3rd kid and we were much more relaxed with being parents at that point.

At the end of the flight somebody commented to us that our baby is an amazing traveler.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are flying with WJ so hopefully we can score a full row. We are going essentially right during one of her naps so I am hoping she is able to sleep through it. I have Dora loaded up on the iPad, and a few games and toys as well.

We travelled before when she was 3 months and that was a breeze, I am expecting this to be a bit more difficult but I am going into it feeling pretty positive.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #26
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I guess you're just not as efficient as us, all of our carry-ons can fit under the seats so we don't need to worry about snagging overhead bin space.
Carry-on under the seats? Must be nice, stubby legs!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #27
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When all else fails, buy beers for the row in front of you. I needed to when our 1.5y old screamed for 5 of the 6 hours to Hawaii. (that was hell)
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byrns For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I take my kid for little strolls up and down the aisles, the bigger the plane the better, i'll walk all the way up one side, cross over, all the way down and back to the seat as many times as he needed. I hate sitting still too, so it was partially for my sake as well. When he was just a toddler, these walks were pretty time consuming too, holding his hands and stumbling up and down the aisles. easy 10 -20 minutes each walk. Plus meals were an hour. Plus any movies. Plus diaper change is like 45 minutes in the plane bathroom. the activities aren't great, but they kill time if you know what you can do. Just rinse repeat.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do lots of travelling with my 2, youngest is 11 months. Lots of good ideas here...

-check in 24 hours prior (exactly if possible) and as BT said, book an aisle and window. If it is full so be it, but if there is room you should be in good shape. A Friday to Mexico, it may well be full, but if you let me know where you are going I might be able to tell you a little better.

-And don't pre-board? I don't get that one at all. Getting to take an extra couple of minutes to get settled is great, as opposed to getting on at the end and having 130 other people watching and waiting as you get things sorted. Even worse if you are bringing the car seat. And the flight attendants have to brief you on traveling with the baby, and they can't do other required announcements until you are briefed, and that all has to be done before they can close the door. Boarding last with kids may not always hold things up, but it will often.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 11-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Ryan Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #30
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I guess you're just not as efficient as us, all of our carry-ons can fit under the seats so we don't need to worry about snagging overhead bin space. On our last trip to Maui (January) we brought the car seat on board, took all of 30 seconds to have it strapped in and secure.

I'm totally anxious about installing the car seat on the plane, just imagining it taking forever to do..any tips? I've heard some people have to request a belt extender. I just hate being the guy that is holding everyone up, and need the install to go smoothly
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #31
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I'm totally anxious about installing the car seat on the plane, just imagining it taking forever to do..any tips? I've heard some people have to request a belt extender. I just hate being the guy that is holding everyone up, and need the install to go smoothly
Depends on the car seat I am sure, but ours is a bit of a pain. A seat belt extension might be a good idea. And this a really great reason to pre board, so you have some time and aren't holding up the plane from leaving.
Ryan Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #32
mrgreen
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Get there in plenty of time.
Take advantage of being offered to get on board first.
Smile lots (even if you don't feel like it!) and make taking off really fun/exciting
Get up and have a walk around and explore the plane etc
Take lots of snacks, clothes, diapers toys etc
Take regulation car seat if poss. This was a lifesaver for us!
Have a sense of humour about the whole experience
Remember you'll never see any of the people again so who cares what happens?
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Writing this from Mexico with 4 yr old and 4 month old. Car seat for infant is easiest thing to put into seats. I've never needed an extension belt for one. Forward facing is slightly trickier but a tip is to reach behind the fabric cover to clasp the belt and then yank from outside to tighten.

My wife and I used to tag team for boarding. I would board with car seat and carry on, get it all stowed and secured, and she'd burn out the kid outside the plane. Now with two its not so easy...

Weird rule about empty seat on flights to the USA is apparently non us airlines can't give seats to passengers who are unpaid. We heard this from both Air Canada and Westjet. To make it easier, I almost always buy a seat for the toddler anyway. The cost is worth the peace of mind.

Good luck, and don't worry about other people on the flight. Our oldest has gone to Spain, Mexico x 2, Hawaii, across Canada and USA a few times as well. The flights are never that long even though they seem like it at the time. 2 hrs after your flight, you'll be relaxing somewhere on the beach or pool.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #34
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good tips.

I suggest pre board but don't strap the kid in until last minute. Let him stand on the seat and watch people and move around until you have to buckle him.

Also, hit the dollar store/wal-mart/toysrus and buy a whole bunch of little cheap toys that you can pull out of the bag as the attention span wanes. New is always better.

Another idea is to bring homemade cookies or by George or something and hand them out to the people around you as you are waiting to take off. A peace offering of sorts.

Fotze's seat is good but if not you can take your stroller to the gate for gate check. Also good to carry stuff through the airport and you don't have to carry the kid when you get there.

Make sure you have backup for the ipad. Your phone should have a bunch of new games on it as well.

Good luck.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Save yourself the aggravation and check the seat.

"The plane crashed, but thank goodness we had that car seat."
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #36
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ While the chance of experiencing injury-causing turbulence is very remote, a good argument for using a car seat is that it is comfortable, restraining, and familiar for the kid. On your lap, they are more likely to fidget and get fussy. In theory, at least.

Both of my flights with my son have been on my lap, but I think that if we go somewhere this summer (he'll be 21-23 months of age, so very fidgety), I'll just ante up for the extra seat and save myself the trouble.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #37
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benadryl. It makes them tired and is an anti nauseant. You're welcome
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #38
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And with the extra ticket you get extra baggage. (at least with Westjet)
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #39
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #40
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post

Good luck, and don't worry about other people on the flight.
How considerate of you.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote