Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #1201
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is that true? I'm pretty new to the NG BBQ, so I just do my best to remember to turn the gas line off. I always turn the knobs off first, but I could change that if it should be the other way around?
I was taught to turn off the gas first as well. The explanation my father gave me is you want to make sure all the gas is burned off so by leaving the grill on but turning the gas off will ensure everything is burned off.

I'm not sure about the air in the gas line comment, but I've always considered gas off first to be best practice.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #1202
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that true? I'm pretty new to the NG BBQ, so I just do my best to remember to turn the gas line off. I always turn the knobs off first, but I could change that if it should be the other way around?
Always turn the source off first to bleed the lines.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #1203
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure 100%, but that's how I was told to operate it. Same for my RV. Something to do with air in the lines and not wanting gas in a line in case someone disconnects it near a flame.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #1204
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Not sure 100%, but that's how I was told to operate it. Same for my RV. Something to do with air in the lines and not wanting gas in a line in case someone disconnects it near a flame.
Another issue is over pressuring if the line gets exposed to heat. This happened to me with a propane line I had. Watching TV and heard a loud bang on the balcony as the line blew up from pressure as it was black in the sun, luckily the bottle was off.

Also so you never forget to turn off the gas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #1205
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Another issue is over pressuring if the line gets exposed to heat. This happened to me with a propane line I had. Watching TV and heard a loud bang on the balcony as the line blew up from pressure as it was black in the sun, luckily the bottle was off.

Also so you never forget to turn off the gas.

Yikes, scary stuff.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #1206
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I haven't turned off my NG line in over a decade. House unexploded.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #1207
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, well thanks guys! I guess I'll change my order and try not to have an explosion of any sort!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #1208
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, that's kinda weird, because on my BBQ(propane), if I turn the tank off first, then the knobs, the next time it won't light unless I disconnect the hose, and reconnect it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #1209
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, here is the issue I was having:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...n-a-gas-grill/

So I always turn the burners off first.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #1210
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Huh, that's kinda weird, because on my BBQ(propane), if I turn the tank off first, then the knobs, the next time it won't light unless I disconnect the hose, and reconnect it.
It’s usually if you have the valves open first, then open the tank into the empty line you can trip the high flow switch. It’s designed so that if there is no back pressure in the system to stop flow. Usually the Jet nozzle is sufficiently small to provide that back pressure but the speed of filling the empty line can trip it.

For that hose explosion I would suspect a regulator issue becuase thermally expanding gas under ounces of pressure shouldn’t be enough pressure to split the hose. I would suspect that the hose pressurized up to the boiling pressure and the propane was liquid in the hose. Then thermal expansion from liquid blew the line. That would only happen though with a malfunctioning regulator.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #1211
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Long shot, but here goes:

I bought a Weber Genesis II 4-burner natural gas grill. Wow, what a great grill. I've had it about 1.5 years.

My problem is it only works sometimes. I'll grill something for dinner, preheat the grill full blast no problem. Turn it down to desired temp then grill.

I'll go back a few days or a week later, turn it on and, nothing. No gas is getting to the burners. There's no smell and no distinct but subtle hissing of the gas entering the burners. I try full blast, medium, minimal, nothing. I disconnect the hose from the house, and I use a tool or my finger to press down on the stopper and gas comes out. I killed the pilot light on my gas fireplace incase there wasn't enough gas pressure or something, and the grill still doesn't get any gas. Super frustrated, I have to think of something else for dinner.

I go back a week later, and the damn thing works again.

Does anyone have any ideas? I gotta think there's a blockage or something in the hose (it's not kinked anywhere) but it doesn't explain why it works 50% of the time. I plan on calling Weber, but I thought I'd poll the horde here.
My mother had a similar issue with her weber bbq when it was new. We replaced the natural gas hose and it worked fine after that. Not sure what the issue was with the hose but replacing it solved the problem.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #1212
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It’s usually if you have the valves open first, then open the tank into the empty line you can trip the high flow switch. It’s designed so that if there is no back pressure in the system to stop flow. Usually the Jet nozzle is sufficiently small to provide that back pressure but the speed of filling the empty line can trip it.

For that hose explosion I would suspect a regulator issue becuase thermally expanding gas under ounces of pressure shouldn’t be enough pressure to split the hose. I would suspect that the hose pressurized up to the boiling pressure and the propane was liquid in the hose. Then thermal expansion from liquid blew the line. That would only happen though with a malfunctioning regulator.
It was a Canadian tire special that allowed me to use a full propane tank and not those little camping bottles so you are probably right.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #1213
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Really loving chicken wings on the smoker with my go to Sriracha Lime. Anybody have any other great flavours for the smoker? I’ve tried some of the basics (hot, teriyaki) but I think I prefer my smoked wings a little different flavour profile than fried.
How long do you cook wings on the smoker for?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #1214
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
About 45 minutes
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #1215
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
About 45 minutes
Anything else, toss on smoker, 45 min later serve? I’m pretty new to the smoker but want to try this.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #1216
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Anything else, toss on smoker, 45 min later serve? I’m pretty new to the smoker but want to try this.

I put the dry rub on first then cook them at 325 until they are done, usually 30ish mins. While they are cooking I make the sauce and when they are cooked I toss them in the sauce. I crank the smoker up to 500 and put the sauce covered wings back on the smoker to set the sauce (5-10mins usually)

Really depending on what type of wings you are making you could toss them on the smoker right away and toss them in a sauce or rub after they are cooked. I like putting them back on the grill after I sauce them. I like how this keeps the wings saucy but not runny. If you marinate the wings overnight, cook, then toss in more sauce after you could really get some nice flavour too. Wings are pretty foolproof on the smoker
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #1217
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry was rushed there. Usually about 40-45 mins till they are cooked, I sauce them before hand.

You can do what was decribed above and nuke them to set the sauce, I get lazy though.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #1218
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
1:35/2 hours roughly for mine on the smoker @ 250/275 depending on how you like the skin to be, this gets them to about 175/180 internal temp.

I find Malcom Reed's recipes (howtobbqright on youtube) to all turn out really really well.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:39 AM   #1219
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Opinions on smoker temp for brisket?
Old 05-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #1220
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always keep it around 225-250. It takes longer but worth it IMO. Having the smoker going all day is also relaxing yet productive, makes for a great day. I just make sure I have lots to put on all day, burgers for 2 hours per side, some cheese, bacon, wings, a chicken, some ribs. If you have a big enough smoker you should fill it. That's a lot of work but a really fun and filling day.

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber