Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #941
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Didn't you just buy a new house and populate it with TV's bigger and more expensive than you needed, sound systems and wifi mesh equipment?
A "fortune" on two Nest Thermostats.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #942
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Whoa looks like a nerve was touched. I thought the humour in my post was self evident, it wasn't a critical post. People can spend their money how they wish. Even if it's something silly like a 1200 BBQ
You must be a riot at parties.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #943
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
So, Jackson Grills and Broilmate are still made in North America....any thoughts on quality?
I am looking at getting a new bbq, liking the Weber Genesis II (natural gas model) but if these are being made in China should I be concerned or just go with the Weber?
Mr Fireplace has the Jackson grill but no prices on the website (haven't been down there yet) so I'm not sure if the price is comparable for a similar model
I plan on heading down to barbeques galore for the weber and getting them to install it (need my gas line extended as it is 20ft from where I want to bbq and thus need a gasfitter).

Jackson Grills seems to have moved their production to China. Personally being so small a company I'd be more worried about a lack of parts in the future when things break. Certain Broilmates are also China made to so you need to pay attention to specific models.

That said, China makes some decent stuff too so I wouldn't necessarily run away from that. It seems like an increasingly unavoidable part of life. I'd focus more on quality design and warranty support from the manufacturer afterwards - no matter what you buy it will break at some point.

Here's a good initial take of the new Genesis II's from when they 1st came out.

http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2016...t-impressions/

I was less concerned about the lack of enclosed cart and China manufacturing on Genesis II's as I was the shorter hood meaning for lack of height on the rotisserie. Wasn't sure how a larger bird would fit and still let me use the main burners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Also bought a Genesis II at BBQ Galore this weekend. Anyone use the iGrill bluetooth attachment? Work good?
My iGrill 2 has been great. About 30-40 feet in range. I wish I had gone straight to this vs buying cheaper crap off of Amazon 1st.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 05-21-2019 at 12:03 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #944
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whoa looks like a nerve was touched. I thought the humour in my post was self evident, it wasn't a critical post. People can spend their money how they wish. Even if it's something silly like a 1200 BBQ
If that was humour, you may want to work on your delivery, because you are getting grilled here.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #945
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just wanted to congratulate all the people with 800, 1200, 700 etc dollar grills on their success in life. Must be nice.
I must admit....it is pretty sweet.

I remember grilling on my apartment balcony on the ol' $100 Canadian Tire Special....those were the days my friend, those were the days...

I still have that grill at my place in Lethbridge.

But my current grill is like a Cadillac compared that baby! Its got a rotisserie and everything!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #946
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If that was humour, you may want to work on your delivery, because you are getting grilled here.
Nicely done, whether you intended it or not.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #947
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But poorly and inexpensively?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #948
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
People can spend their money how they wish. Even if it's something silly like a 1200 BBQ
I wish I could afford a $1200 grill. Instead, I spent 2x that money on novelty exterior home lighting
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #949
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me walk this back a little, because why not.

1200 on a grill is waste of money. Don't like my opinion? Tough ####.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #950
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You're steak will be tough #### if you cook it on anything less than a $1200 grill.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #951
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're steak will be tough #### if you cook it on anything less than a $1200 grill.
I can't afford steak because I bought a couple of nest thermostats. I spend my weekends hunting small vermin and grill what I can catch.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #952
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

What are your feelings on grills that are $3000+?

What if you have a large family, or host large events and need a 70+ inch grill? Still a hard-line cap at $1199.99?

What a weird and arbitrary number to throw out...
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #953
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't afford steak because I bought a couple of nest thermostats. I spend my weekends hunting small vermin and grill what I can catch.
Oh. You dont need a grill, you need one of these babies:

Inexpensive and efficient. Plus your neighbours will love you bringing a pseudo-urban rustic aesthetic to the neighbourhood.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #954
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
What are your feelings on grills that are $3000+?

What if you have a large family, or host large events and need a 70+ inch grill? Still a hard-line cap at $1199.99?

What a weird and arbitrary number to throw out...
Well the grill I was talking about appeared to be a standard 4 or 5 burner no larger than ones at walmart for 180 bucks, but with all sorts of fancy features. To each their own, but I think it's crazy.

If you can get a huge grill for 1200 dollars and you require it for size and the demands of a large family, then that's money well spent for family time and social gathering.

If you're buying a 1200 grill that will do the job of a 180 dollar gill but has things like searing , side burners, rotisserie etc I think it's a bit masturbatory.

I didn't think pitch forks would come out but w/e. I stand by my opinion.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #955
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest reason I shelled out good dough for a new grill is because I was tired of refilling propane.

Got a natural gas Weber Genesis II and hooked that puppy right up to the house.

It's great having the grill space for large gatherings, and the convenience of just firing it up for two burgers if I want.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #956
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well the grill I was talking about appeared to be a standard 4 or 5 burner no larger than ones at walmart for 180 bucks, but with all sorts of fancy features. To each their own, but I think it's crazy.

If you can get a huge grill for 1200 dollars and you require it for size and the demands of a large family, then that's money well spent for family time and social gathering.

If you're buying a 1200 grill that will do the job of a 180 dollar gill but has things like searing , side burners, rotisserie etc I think it's a bit masturbatory.

Ok, I'm curious. what kind of bbq would you buy for a family with 2 or 3 kids for intensive use during the summer? how long would you expect a $180 bbq from Walmart to last?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #957
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, I'm curious. what kind of bbq would you buy for a family with 2 or 3 kids for intensive use during the summer? how long would you expect a $180 bbq from Walmart to last?
Why buy a quality BBQ that should last you over a decade, when you can grill on a $180 rusted out piece of crap in two years.

And then have the balls to claim that the quality BBQ is wasteful...
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #958
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Biggest reason I shelled out good dough for a new grill is because I was tired of refilling propane.

Got a natural gas Weber Genesis II and hooked that puppy right up to the house.

It's great having the grill space for large gatherings, and the convenience of just firing it up for two burgers if I want.
our house has a gas range so I hoped it had a hook up for a grill. No dice. was very disappointed as I imagine it's pretty sweet to not have to trot out to get propane in the winter.

Quote:
My Dad got a really fancy BBQ with all the accessories for 600 dollars at Canadian Tire, and it has fallen apart at the same rate I've seen walmart ones fall apart. I just don't see good value there. It's why I buy vizio for TV's now and not Samsung, better value lower price and actually with vizio you may end up getting better picture for a less "luxury" brand
Old 05-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #959
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just... God... Don't buy BBQs from Canadian Tire.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #960
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Wait, was your original post humour, or critical?

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber