Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #801
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
how about mozza stuffed burgers topped with bacon, mushrooms and marble cheddar?? will that do?

IMG_1347 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_1349 by bc-chris, on Flickr
I think I love you.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #802
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
I know this has been talked about before in the 40 pages of this thread, but I am looking at a new grill for 2018. Anyone have suggestions on natural gas grill?
I just bought one myself. I went in there thinking I'd buy a Weber, but unfortunately the mid-range Genesis is now made in China too. I went with the Canadian-built Napoleon instead.

Can't really give you any real-world opinions though, since it's only being delivered tomorrow...however the infrared searing station looks like a great feature as it helps to give steaks a really nice sear because of the increased temp that the rest of the burners can't achieve. It's not a feature that comes with all grills, so keep an eye out for it.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #803
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I just bought one myself. I went in there thinking I'd buy a Weber, but unfortunately the mid-range Genesis is now made in China too. I went with the Canadian-built Napoleon instead.

Can't really give you any real-world opinions though, since it's only being delivered tomorrow...however the infrared searing station looks like a great feature as it helps to give steaks a really nice sear because of the increased temp that the rest of the burners can't achieve. It's not a feature that comes with all grills, so keep an eye out for it.
Funny because I went in to get a Weber too and ended up getting the Napoleon Prestige Pro 500 special edition. The searing station and the blue/red lights did it for me.
Got it delivered yesterday. If there is one thing I'd watch for when you get yours, check the soft close doors. Mine weren't screwed in straight and I didn't check in time. Only took a few minutes to adjust but shouldnt have had to do it. These installers seemed rushed.

As for the grill itself, it looks great but I haven't used it yet. Will give it a review after this weekend.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #804
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
At this point I cant fathom going deeper in this thread without buying a smoker myself. I'm in dire need of a drool cup this am.

What would you guys recommend as a good starter smoker? Something I can smoke most meats with but isn't going to set me back $1000+ from the get go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Me too, I've decided I'm picking one up this weekend. Likely the Traeger Junior Elite. But would be good to see some recommendations.
this video is pretty good at describing the different kinds of smokers...

Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #805
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

here is another good article on the different kinds of smokers...

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...how-buy-smoker
Old 05-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #806
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Crap, now I have to BBQ a mushroom burger tonight. Any good recipes for a good mushroom sauce or something. We normally don't do mushroom burgers as I am not a huge fan, but would like to try something new.

I Can make a mean hamburger patty though.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #807
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
here is another good article on the different kinds of smokers...

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...how-buy-smoker
Can't recommend this site enough. Based on reviews, I picked up this one in April:

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com

The other similar and easy to use standup model is the Weber Smokey mountain. Based on just a handful of cooks on either model, I'm very happy with the pit barrel. I hung a 17 lb brisket in it on Friday night. Cooked well over night and held its temp. I got up once to check and stir the coals.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #808
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on that site it basically says those Traeger Pellet grills for $450-600 are a waste of money, I guess you really have to look at spending upwards of $1000 if you want a really good solid investment.

Hmmmmm

On second thought maybe not.. I guess its more specific to the offset side smoker which seems similar but different.

Last edited by Royle9; 05-09-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #809
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just ordered this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/168...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

......so good!
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #810
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Crap, now I have to BBQ a mushroom burger tonight. Any good recipes for a good mushroom sauce or something. We normally don't do mushroom burgers as I am not a huge fan, but would like to try something new.

I Can make a mean hamburger patty though.
What about a mushroom hollandaise sauce? I haven't tried myself, but I like hollandaise sauce so much, I'd probably lose about 30 years of life span easy if I learned how to make this sauce. You could also add an egg to the burger if you go this route.

If not that, basic mushroom sauces are probably based on caramelized onions and mushrooms, spirits, salt and pepper and thickening. Something like this:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...r-steak-288551

I'd probably substitute wine for cheap bourbon or whiskey and I'd use grated potatoes to thicken over flour, but that's just me.

EDIT: You're not shoving mushrooms into the burger itself are you? You're just adding a mushroom sauce on top of the patty?

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-09-2018 at 03:20 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #811
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

https://www.angsarap.net/2011/05/22/...mushroom-melt/

Think I am going to go this mushroom melt route.

That Hollidase sauce looks good though.... mmm
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #812
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What about a mushroom hollandaise sauce? I haven't tried myself, but I like hollandaise sauce so much, I'd probably lose about 30 years of life span easy if I learned how to make this sauce. You could also add an egg to the burger if you go this route.

If not that, basic mushroom sauces are probably based on caramelized onions and mushrooms, spirits, salt and pepper and thickening. Something like this:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...r-steak-288551

I'd probably substitute wine for cheap bourbon or whiskey and I'd use grated potatoes to thicken over flour, but that's just me.

EDIT: You're not shoving mushrooms into the burger itself are you? You're just adding a mushroom sauce on top of the patty?
Sounds good. I often add Worcestershire sauce when doing saute mushrooms, gives it a nice steakhouse flavour.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #813
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
I know this has been talked about before in the 40 pages of this thread, but I am looking at a new grill for 2018. Anyone have suggestions on natural gas grill?
If you are looking for a deal, go here - http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merge...-thread-721171
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #814
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Does anyone have a PK 360? If so, did you end up ordering it off of their American website?

It's one of the highest-reviewed charcoal grills on the Amazing Ribs website and looks perfect for us, but I can't seem to find any Canadian vendors. Preference would be to get a grill locally for warranty, service, etc. so if there really isn't anything, we'd probably go for a Weber or something similar.
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #815
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of Amazing Rib's product "reviews". They're shills. I bought a charcoal attachment for my Weber based on their review, and really it was useless.

I'd never buy a charcoal grill for that price. Also a front opening lid on a charcoal grill is stupid.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #816
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Thanks! I didn't know any of that. Upon review it does seem like a conflict of interest how they direct you to buy one through their affiliate link. Leaning more towards picking up a Weber kettle from a local place now.
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #817
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am fan of this websites reviews. They recommend the Weber Original Kettle.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-charcoal-grill/

Homedepot has one for $178.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.o...001094826.html

I am thinking of picking one up as I am BBQ-less without a gas line at my house.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #818
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Weber Performer. Basically the round grill with a table and gas starter.

Works great. 900F for steaks. 225F for smoking. And it smokes awesome.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #819
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Sounds good. I often add Worcestershire sauce when doing saute mushrooms, gives it a nice steakhouse flavour.

I enjoy A1 and HP sauce with this type of stuff, but I have never thought to add it to saute mushrooms. I will definitely have to consider trying it next time.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #820
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the Traeger Select Elite pellet grill (https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/g.../TFS60LZC.html) and the Napoleon Prestige Pro 665 RSIB (https://www.napoleongrills.com/grill...ess-steel-span)

Despite the Napoleon being the Lamborghini of gas grills, the food off the Traeger tastes so good that I have used it 10 times for every 1 time I've used the Napoleon over the past couple years.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber