Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you have an inner monologue?
Yes 64 91.43%
No 3 4.29%
I hear more than just my own voice 3 4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2024, 10:09 PM   #21
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pfft. Call me when you guys have full blown arguments in your head that radically affect your moods.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 11:01 PM   #22
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Internal dialogue happens pretty much constantly, so much so that I find I'm talking out loud to myself. It's a little embarrassing at times.

But as my dad used to say, "I have to talk to myself. It's the only way I can be sure of intelligent conversation."
I have always talked to myself a lot unfortunately. I wasn’t really cognizant of it until my niece which is my coworker told me that when I’m back in the shop it sounds like I’m talking to ghosts lol.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 12:30 AM   #23
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
You can talk to yourself all you want now, people will think you’re on your phone.
I miss the days when that was how you could easily tell who was psychotic
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2024, 12:49 AM   #24
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I don't really have a minds eye. I read that article 10 years ago about how 4% of people don't have a minds eye, and when they were describing that some people literally can't pull up images in their head, I was blown away by the counter, that people can literally picture something when they are told to visualize. It's something I only learnt in my late 20s, before that I thought people were just speaking figuratively

But an inner monologue, yes that's very active.
I'm in the same boat. Was rattled when I learned people can pull an image up in their head. My inner voice is super active as well but one poster mentioned reading and that's where it kind of tails off. When I read I just kind of put the story together in my head, no visuals and I only "sound out" the printed words once I'm tired and know it's time to stop reading. Not really sure how to explain it but once I'm tired and my brain starts looking at every word my reading slows right down and my comprehension actually goes down as well. Otherwise I'm a very quick reader.

It did explain why I'm so ####ty at drawing, anyways.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 03-16-2024, 07:09 PM   #25
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Sorry didn't notice it, poll added.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 11:21 AM   #26
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My wife does not have an inner monologue. She has thoughts as abstract concepts but no narration, no words.

She always believed the thought narration in movies was a plot device, not actually describing how most people think. It wasn't until her early 40's when she learned she was special.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 01:36 PM   #27
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I'm in the same boat. Was rattled when I learned people can pull an image up in their head. My inner voice is super active as well but one poster mentioned reading and that's where it kind of tails off. When I read I just kind of put the story together in my head, no visuals and I only "sound out" the printed words once I'm tired and know it's time to stop reading. Not really sure how to explain it but once I'm tired and my brain starts looking at every word my reading slows right down and my comprehension actually goes down as well. Otherwise I'm a very quick reader.

It did explain why I'm so ####ty at drawing, anyways.
This was a big one for me when the topic of mind images was brought up. I feel like I can come up with images in my head, but if you were to ask me to draw something simple (a cow, for example), I can't hold an image in my head that's complete enough to get it onto paper.

I think the question of inner-anything has got to be way more complicated than we appreciate because we can't experience anybody else's mind. The levels of detail must be all over the map. Before somebody raised the drawing problem, I would've told you I absolutely can see images in my head... now not so much.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 01:49 PM   #28
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I have a friend who knows hockey trivia to an insane degree.

He claims to be able to see the pages of stats books in his mind to know that Gretzky had X assists in 1988.

He can also tell you what way Doug Houda, or Tock Tockett shot because he can picture them in his mind holding their sticks.

I'm kind of like that with geography. I can see in my minds ey everything from point A to point B generally.

Also, yeah inner monologue. For those that don't, how do you type/read without it?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 02:07 PM   #29
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn’t everyone? It’s called thinking.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:32 PM   #30
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp: