Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 01:57 PM   #21
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnyberg View Post
Welcome to the big leagues I guess? This is how big boy countries deal with each other. How many times has Canada been screwed over by the US?
It would be even worse nowadays because of the genocide Haiti committed (actual genocide, not the current one-size-fits-all definition).

Just looking at the wiki, most of the debt was cancelled and the US and Britain recognized Haiti and started trading two decades after independence.

Maybe Haitians are responsible for most of Haiti's problems?

The last time Haiti was stable, they asked for reparations from France as a result of the "Double-Debt" that crippled the countries development in addition to the slavery.

They were very mysteriously destabilized shortly after the request.
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemnoble For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 02:28 PM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I donated after the 2010 earthquake and had friends work there, both on the recovery and medical relief. It sounds like there was a lot of money available, but very little will of the people to do anything. Western companies were offering complete turn-key solutions to rebuild infrastructure, and the locals were like, "No, we don't want that. We'll just slowly mess around and build one small concrete building at a time."

I hate to say it, but it is almost like they need a little imperialism. A larger power needs to take over, make administrative decisions, and get stuff done. They are just not able to govern themselves.
I don't know enough on the subject, but I know people who are from the Dominican Republic that essentially have similar comments that you mentioned about why DR is doing well and Haiti is not.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:53 PM   #23
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnyberg View Post
Welcome to the big leagues I guess? This is how big boy countries deal with each other. How many times has Canada been screwed over by the US?
It would be even worse nowadays because of the genocide Haiti committed (actual genocide, not the current one-size-fits-all definition).

Just looking at the wiki, most of the debt was cancelled and the US and Britain recognized Haiti and started trading two decades after independence.

Maybe Haitians are responsible for most of Haiti's problems?

Do you intentionally try to come across as a dickhead in all your posts?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 02:58 PM   #24
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can a mod correct this thread title to Prolapses?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 03:05 PM   #25
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Haiti was punished for centuries for being able to assert there independence. They were burdened with sanctions, paying back costs they couldn't afford, other European colonial nations wouldn't recognize them or trade with them. Seeing Haiti become successful would have set a bad precedence in other slave colonies that hoped to rebel. The unfair reparations payments (or extortion payments) took Haiti 122 years to pay off (or to 1926). By that time, they were broke, starving, and extremely underdeveloped. They completely missed the industrial revolution because they were too poor to participate, and sanctions meant that other countries wouldn't deal with them. Add to that, they country is also prone to violent natural disasters.

The former colonial powers and countries in the Americas, really need to help Haiti to become a prosperous country. If you do that, there will be no need for violence.
An excellent post, thank you for this again even though I already thanked you! It's not often to see acknowledgement/admission of the colonial western powers, what they've done and what they've left in their paths. Usually, it's more blaming of the suffering country and their people (um, sort of like that other post here), and then sometimes suggesting that what they need is for the imperialists to go in and fix them because they can't do it themselves, completely ignoring why they can't.

Related to the situation, and I have no idea, which is why I ask, are there any valuable resource deposits that Haiti is known for or recently known for? Hope not, because that will then usually mean the powers will eventually battle to control it and further destroy the country.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 03:24 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, can we start a 'GoFundMe?'

If I'm going to go to Haiti to overthrow whatever is left of their Government and install myself as Supreme Ruler I'mma need a few bucks.

We can relocate the CP servers there and turn that place into a Paradise!

I have plans! Plans I tell you!

I've got a guy who is all in on Mountain Towns, I know who I'll appoint as 'Air Marshall,' we're going to build a stadium and get an Expansion NHL team...I've got it all planned out!

And we're going to make the International Community pay for it!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 03:27 PM   #27
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, such a tough problem. Lots of reasons it's happening, but what is the solution now that it's basically a gang war zone?

It seems like the type of thing something like NATO or the UN is actually made for to send a force in and put down the gangs and give the government back to the people. But it comes all sorts of shades of past mistakes and colonial issues that its debatable whether or not that is the right thing to do (also would obviously cause bloodshed while a war happens).

Im genuinely curious about what people think about a solution to stuff like this. Is it just to wait and see hopefully the people eventually gain enough power to revolt and free themselves from gang rule? Is that even plausible without foreign assistance? Does the stank of Cold War US foreign intervention in Central/South America stain any hope at a welcomed or untainted intervention? Has there been any call from the people there for the world to bring an army, or is just send funds?
Old 03-13-2024, 03:29 PM   #28
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Man, such a tough problem. Lots of reasons it's happening, but what is the solution now that it's basically a gang war zone?

It seems like the type of thing something like NATO or the UN is actually made for to send a force in and put down the gangs and give the government back to the people. But it comes all sorts of shades of past mistakes and colonial issues that its debatable whether or not that is the right thing to do (also would obviously cause bloodshed while a war happens).

Im genuinely curious about what people think about a solution to stuff like this. Is it just to wait and see hopefully the people eventually gain enough power to revolt and free themselves from gang rule? Is that even plausible without foreign assistance? Does the stank of Cold War US foreign intervention in Central/South America stain any hope at a welcomed or untainted intervention? Has there been any call from the people there for the world to bring an army, or is just send funds?
It is so tough.

This isn't NATO's job or role.

The UN has a long list of failures....

It honestly feels like a hard reset is needed on this country.

It is a sad situation.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2024, 03:39 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It is so tough.

It is a sad situation.
I'm telling you...I can sort this. You want to be the Head Coach of the Haitian Rugby team?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 03:39 PM   #30
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It is so tough.

It is a sad situation.
Not necessarily as described, but I don't really look at it much different than protecting shipping lanes and things like that. You can't have gangs just taking over countries, and especially with it being so close to the US and other partners, you'd think at least the US would have interest in stepping in. It's interesting how you could rah rah the US into Korea and into Vietnam etc.. but the same patriotic sentiment couldn't be prodded for a near neighbour like Haiti. Or just that the debacle that were those conflicts (and other Cold War era and colonial issues) has left the US and western partners gun-shy to jump to protect people (Ukraine being an example too). What's the army actually for? Just watching from the sidelines with a bunch of cool stuff?
Old 03-13-2024, 04:08 PM   #31
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
An excellent post, thank you for this again even though I already thanked you! It's not often to see acknowledgement/admission of the colonial western powers, what they've done and what they've left in their paths. Usually, it's more blaming of the suffering country and their people (um, sort of like that other post here), and then sometimes suggesting that what they need is for the imperialists to go in and fix them because they can't do it themselves, completely ignoring why they can't.

Related to the situation, and I have no idea, which is why I ask, are there any valuable resource deposits that Haiti is known for or recently known for? Hope not, because that will then usually mean the powers will eventually battle to control it and further destroy the country.
The Wester colonial powers and imperialism don't help. I don't disagree with that. As I mentioned I'm not well versed in the subject. The only aspect I know is what people from the DR say about Haiti.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domini...bbean%20region.

https://pulitzercenter.org/stories/p...blic-relations

This is what I found when I quickly looked up information relating to the relationship between the two countries. To call it tense is almost an understatement. Honestly speaking, I had no clue until I looked it up just now. Apparently the border between the two countries is being fortified and closed.

Again, I don't know enough. All I'm saying is that for individuals that emigrated from the country that shares the island, many seem kinda disappointed when it comes to the topic of Haiti.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:17 PM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Not necessarily as described, but I don't really look at it much different than protecting shipping lanes and things like that. You can't have gangs just taking over countries, and especially with it being so close to the US and other partners, you'd think at least the US would have interest in stepping in.
Perhaps the US is happy to let a Cuban neighbour burn

Quote:
Old 03-13-2024, 04:50 PM   #33
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently a US/Carribean coalition is looking to put a government in place with protests from the people there.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:59 PM   #34
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

US Marines flown in to protect/evactuate embassy.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:19 PM   #35
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

No, if Haiti had anything worth exploiting it would be better run, it's lack of anything valuable is why Haiti is falling apart
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:46 PM   #36
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

My ex-gf is half Haitian, so I have some knowledge of their culture and customs (their weddings are FANTASTIC, with tons of dancing where everyone attending lines up automatically, making it feel choreographed but it's not, but I digress lol), but wish I learned a bit more about their history.

As for the situation, many of the countries not part of the west do not trust the west (wonder why?!), so seeing western leaders come in likely wouldn't go over well. Not sure what the best thing to do is here.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:58 PM   #37
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The Wester colonial powers and imperialism don't help. I don't disagree with that. As I mentioned I'm not well versed in the subject. The only aspect I know is what people from the DR say about Haiti.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domini...bbean%20region.

https://pulitzercenter.org/stories/p...blic-relations

This is what I found when I quickly looked up information relating to the relationship between the two countries. To call it tense is almost an understatement. Honestly speaking, I had no clue until I looked it up just now. Apparently the border between the two countries is being fortified and closed.

Again, I don't know enough. All I'm saying is that for individuals that emigrated from the country that shares the island, many seem kinda disappointed when it comes to the topic of Haiti.
The DR and Haiti have a long history of killing each other. Haiti invaded the DR continuously for decades in the 1800s, and once they did a scorched earth genocide that killed a huge percentage of the population.

Then in the early 1900s Trujilo (dictator of the DR) massacred tens of thousands of Haitians.

The people aren't the same race, don't speak the same language, and the Dominican economy is more than 10x larger per capita. The economic disparity has led to tons of illegal immigration from Haiti, which is unpopular in the DR.

Last edited by bizaro86; 03-13-2024 at 11:02 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 02:32 AM   #38
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
No, if Haiti had anything worth exploiting it would be better run, it's lack of anything valuable is why Haiti is falling apart
Not entirely true, most of the world's Vetiver Oil is from Haiti.

Unfortunately that Oil is used in perfumes and aroma therapy and not cars.
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:16 AM   #39
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The DR and Haiti have a long history of killing each other. Haiti invaded the DR continuously for decades in the 1800s, and once they did a scorched earth genocide that killed a huge percentage of the population.

Then in the early 1900s Trujilo (dictator of the DR) massacred tens of thousands of Haitians.

The people aren't the same race, don't speak the same language, and the Dominican economy is more than 10x larger per capita. The economic disparity has led to tons of illegal immigration from Haiti, which is unpopular in the DR.

There were essentially at the same economic level in 1960 and then wildly diverged.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote