Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #2361
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Outside of Calgary there probably isn’t a single evaluator in the league who would agree with this. I love to goof on Edmonton as much as anyone but the insane optimism about Sam Bennett is something else.
“Insane optimism”? Is it insanely optimistic to think Bennett will just keep doing what he has been doing this season? Because even if that is the best that he has to offer it is still a hell of a lot more than Puljujarvi has shown over the course of his NHL career.

Insane expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #2362
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
“Insane optimism”? Is it insanely optimistic to think Bennett will just keep doing what he has been doing this season? Because even if that is the best that he has to offer it is still a hell of a lot more than Puljujarvi has shown over the course of his NHL career.

Insane expectations.

Pul is, yet again, 2 years younger. Yay, Sam Bennett is currently better. 20-30 point grinder. Yay. We should have done what the Oilers are doing and sent Sam into the AHL while we still could.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #2363
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The question was to which one is better going forward. If you want the sure thing as a 4th line grinder then sure, go with Bennett. If you wanna take a chance on a scoring winger who was mismanaged by being drafted by the dumbest team in the league then you take Pul. Neither is a great option.
Have you ever even watched Puljujarvi play? He might be one of the most useless players in the NHL. I would say the only insane optimism stems from those who expect much of anything from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 11-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #2364
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Have you ever even watched Puljujarvi play? He might be one of the most useless players in the NHL. I would say the only insane optimism stems from those who expect much of anything from him.

I agree, he never should have been rushed to the NHL. He clearly wasn’t ready and was being ham fisted into the lineup by a team lead by morons. They’re making the right move now and seeing if they can reverse the stunting of his development. I would take that chance over a guy like Bennett who seems to be what he is at this point. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong but I’m not holding my breath anymore.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #2365
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saying CP overrate Bennett, but not saying some one overrate Puljujarvi?

Bennett is a 4th line grinder, okay, but he is a NHL grinder, isn't it still better than an AHL nothing?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #2366
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Saying CP overrate Bennett, but not saying some one overrate Puljujarvi?

Bennett is a 4th line grinder, okay, but he is a NHL grinder, isn't it still better than an AHL nothing?
I never said Puli is a better player at this point. But he is a younger player. Both guys should have spent time in the AHL

And Ya, CP greatly overrates bennett. There’s a big thread about how he was actually a success at Center. Good lord.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #2367
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lmao I would not take puljujarvi over Bennett right now.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #2368
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never said Puli is a better player at this point. But he is a younger player. Both guys should have spent time in the AHL

And Ya, CP greatly overrates bennett. There’s a big thread about how he was actually a success at Center. Good lord.
You keep saying he is younger, by what 2 years? Bennett isn't some 30 year old veteran, you know. Puljujärvi might not even be in NHL 2 years from now. And you keep pounding that CP overrate Bennett, and you are not overrating Puljujärvi?

Oh yeah, he got ruined by a dumb organization. Did he actually got ruined or he is what he is?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #2369
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You keep saying he is younger, by what 2 years? Bennett isn't some 30 year old veteran, you know. Puljujärvi might not even be in NHL 2 years from now. And you keep pounding that CP overrate Bennett, and you are not overrating Puljujärvi?

Oh yeah, he got ruined by a dumb organization. Did he actually got ruined or he is what he is?
I never said he was ruined, I said he was mismanaged. And 2 years of development at that age is a huge difference. You’re right that Puli might not turn into anything at all but I would certainly trade a guy whose looking like he’s maxing out at a 30 point grinder for a guy with some potential still. And I don’t think I am overrating Puli, I think he’s got a lot to over come to turn into anything. I just don’t think highly of Bennett, at all.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #2370
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never said he was ruined, I said he was mismanaged. And 2 years of development at that age is a huge difference. You’re right that Puli might not turn into anything at all but I would certainly trade a guy whose looking like he’s maxing out at a 30 point grinder for a guy with some potential still. And I don’t think I am overrating Puli, I think he’s got a lot to over come to turn into anything. I just don’t think highly of Bennett, at all.
Okay....let's just agree to disagree here. I don't see Bennett as a grinder, he might not turn out to be a sniper, at worst he'll turn out to be a shutdown guy, and I'm ok with that. I'm sorry, I just don't see Puljujärvi has potential still. Someone had mentioned on here that he lack hockey IQ, and it becomes more and more apparent that may be the reason why that Blue Jacket GM chose not to draft him.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #2371
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Okay....let's just agree to disagree here. I don't see Bennett as a grinder, he might not turn out to be a sniper, at worst he'll turn out to be a shutdown guy, and I'm ok with that. I'm sorry, I just don't see Puljujärvi has potential still. Someone had mentioned on here that he lack hockey IQ, and it becomes more and more apparent that may be the reason why that Blue Jacket GM chose not to draft him.
I’ll agree to disagree as well, mostly because this thread should not be turned into a Bennett thread which I guess is my fault for replying to that comment.

Edmonton is no good.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #2372
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Give me the 30pt grinder who can beat up anyone on the other team over the soft big guy who is afraid of contact and half the time looks like he struggles to get up the ice. He brings little effort on a nightly basis, that’s his problem. Pulujarvi went through his whole junior career as someone who could play off just skill alone, he always could physically dominate guys with little effort. He can’t do that anymore and his work ethic on the ice is pathetic. To think he’s anywhere close to Bennett is crazy talk, Bennett probably won’t ever be a big scorer in this league but he can be pretty damn effective in multiple areas and has room to grow. Get out of here with this comparison. I’m sure Oilers fans like yourself (maybe you aren’t) view Bennett like we view Yakapov, that’s far from the truth. Bennett will play in this league for 7-10 more years at least because he’s effective at what he does, players like Yak and pool party are effective at nothing and bring zero to the table.

Last edited by Beninho; 11-10-2018 at 05:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #2373
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crap, did I stumble into the "Bennet is no good" thread by accident?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #2374
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Pul is, yet again, 2 years younger. Yay, Sam Bennett is currently better. 20-30 point grinder. Yay. We should have done what the Oilers are doing and sent Sam into the AHL while we still could.

The two years younger thing goes away when he's in his third NHL season and has shown absolutely no progress. As well, when he was in the AHL in except for a hot streak he was absolutely worthless.

JP is well on his way to a return to Europe. When you watch him play he's awful. He's clueless. He's another sad Yakupov in that he's a guy with some physical skills but he's not smart enough for North American hockey.

Bennett is worthwhile in the role he's playing, that JP could never play because he's not smart enough to do it.

I wouldn't trade Bennett for JP, the whole change of scenery argument that Oiler fans have that he'll explode under another coach is unlikely.

His failure is not so much on the Oiler coaches and their development of him, and no I don't fricken believe that T-Mac has it in for the kid or hates the kid its that they might not be able to teach him because he's frankly notsa got the brain pan. The Oilers failure is in their draft process and the fact that they basically drooled over his physical skills and youtube videos and didn't frankly ask him to put a sentence together or add 2+2

And no, I'm simply going to say this league evaluators wouldn't agree with you or JP would have been traded by now, but most teams are probably offering the equivalent of a rusted kids wagon and a Steve Malincourt rookie hockey card for him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #2375
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lmao I would not take puljujarvi over Bennett right now.
He's young but he's looking like a mirror image of Yakupov in that he lacks hockey sense. I don't think he's probably got a lot of value right now. Certainly much less than Bennett who at the very least is an everyday NHL player.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #2376
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers didn't realize they needed to get English lessons for the kid until a year ago or less.

You really can't make assumptions about the typical trend and development of 19 and 20 year olds in the league, compared to the Oilers. In Edmonton, they ggrt tough love and get thrown to the wolves by an upper executive at the Oilers like Lowe (who is running the show again it seems) who consistently is trying to recreate the culture and locker room that he grew up under Sather 35 years ago. And believes he knows best because he's won.

If Pul, in his tender years, had the same structure and set up around him, one of common sense and consistency and discipline, as Bennett, not back stabbing and ego stroking, he may well be as good or better than Bennett at this point, who knows. We will never know.

In those critical years, the Oilers provide no guidence as well as a carousel of half baked coaching and a guy like Lowe barking from above, when those guys just need to learn the pro game and be in a stable situation around them, as they learn those ropes, as much as possible.

The Oilers have been a mess with they way the treat players, old and young, for going on two decades now. Good junior players turned into shells of their former selves when they got to Edmonton,and most never recover being set so far back. Hall is example 1a.

Last edited by browna; 11-10-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #2377
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

In regards to Bennett, Friedman was on the radio and they discussed Bennett. He may not be an elite scorer in the nhl, but he has intagibles that team are looking for. Players hate playing against him and he has the ability to impact a game. People may look at his draft position and think it is a disappointment, but if you get 10 years out of a player then there is still value in that.

With that said, being able to adapt in the NHL makes you good. Failing to be able to adapt makes you no good, ergo Puljujarvi is no good.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #2378
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

How smug were Oilers fans in June about the Flames lack of a 1st round pick. This from supporters of a team who completely squandered a #1 overall pick in Yakopov.

The Flames could afford to give up a few picks because their high picks in Valimaki, Tkachuk, & Dube are actually playing in the NHL.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #2379
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something sobering to consider about Sam Bennett. He's on pace for a career low 20 points. Puljujarvi, a terrible hockey player, last season put up 20 points. Seems to be an argument of whose pile of #### stinks less.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #2380
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Something sobering to consider about Sam Bennett. He's on pace for a career low 20 points. Puljujarvi, a terrible hockey player, last season put up 20 points. Seems to be an argument of whose pile of #### stinks less.
The thing is there are events in hockey that can be just as important as points. Momentum plays or key screens or plays that open up or give team mates open ice. Bennett is doing a lot of good things that can't be measured by points.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread