Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #1981
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
A question: going to Sydney NSW with a connection in Vancouver. Do I go to the domestic wing?
If that's AC33 I'd bet a dollar it's gate 52, which kinda swings domestic/international... but yes the international gates.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #1982
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Is that recently? I have never had more than a very small wait flying back into Houston internationally. But I don't travel to Mexico much.
That was last December and last March...both times it was bad.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #1983
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pearson has a really crappy walk from that remote terminal 3 thing Westjet flies to. I hate Pearson.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #1984
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
If that's AC33 I'd bet a dollar it's gate 52, which kinda swings domestic/international... but yes the international gates.
I think the YVR-SYD is 33 but the YYC-YVR is 231.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #1985
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm here pretty much everyday and the temperature and humidity are fine.

There is no 3 km walk anywhere in the airport.

I've already addressed the issues with the swing gates. I don't know what CHI is, but ORD has potentially way more walking than YYC could ever dream of, depending on where you're going.

We mostly hate IFP too, but let's at least be somewhat accurate with the hate.
I stopped reading when you said the temperatures were fine. The cooling system is non-existent. It’s never actually been properly installed. Workers have been lodging complaints because its pretty much torture to be a server there in the summer with all the glass windows. It’s like ants under a magnifying glass. I really hope they figure it out by this summer because that’s just downright embarrassing to me as a Calgarian. I’ve had multiple clients who’ve flown to Calgary for meetings complain about almost melting at the airport on their way back home which I always thought was strange since most are from Texas and California.

Last summer when I went to Vegas I sweat through my shirt and the waitress at that Belgian Beer Place was legit sweating on to our table. She’s the one who told me the air condition was not setup and I later confirmed that with other sources because I actually couldn’t believe this issue would exist at a brand new terminal. I point blank asked this question to YYC in their Facebook page and each time the question was ignored despite them replying to every other question/comment.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 10-23-2018 at 11:41 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #1986
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personal preference, I guess. I'm aware of the issues. I guess I don't sweat that much. Int'l level is obviously cooler than transborder upstairs... but out on the ends of the piers it's definitely fine. The trouble area is pretty confined... and most of that is pretty hyperbolic as usual and actually not even true upon second read. To each his own.

There is on-going HVAC related litigation, YYC says. Talk to Jenna over there if you want somebody that won't dodge questions.

Last edited by Acey; 10-23-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #1987
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I think the YVR-SYD is 33 but the YYC-YVR is 231.
If you're asking where you'll arrive, it's on a domestic gate. You'll have to make your way over to either the swing gates which are pretty close by or down the international pier where the Australia flight could depart from. Not really hard to navigate YVR.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #1988
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I stopped reading when you said the temperatures were fine. The cooling system is non-existent. It’s never actually been properly installed. Workers have been lodging complaints because its pretty much torture to be a server there in the summer with all the glass windows. It’s like ants under a magnifying glass. I really hope they figure it out by this summer because that’s just downright embarrassing to me as a Calgarian. I’ve had multiple clients who’ve flown to Calgary for meetings complain about almost melting at the airport on their way back home which I always thought was strange since most are from Texas and California.

Last summer when I went to Vegas I sweat through my shirt and the waitress at that Belgian Beer Place was legit sweating on to our table. She’s the one who told me the air condition was not setup and I later confirmed that with other sources because I actually couldn’t believe this issue would exist at a brand new terminal. I point blank asked this question to YYC in their Facebook page and each time the question was ignored despite them replying to every other question/comment.

They do a mean mushroom burger though. Highly recommend.

Quote:
Personal preference, I guess. I'm aware of the issues. I guess I don't sweat that much. Int'l level is obviously cooler than transborder upstairs... but out on the ends of the piers it's definitely fine. The trouble area is pretty confined... and most of that is pretty hyperbolic as usual. To each his own.

You say you aren't an apologist, but you're making every excuse and minimizing the problems. It's a brand new terminal with apparent state of the art design. These problems should not exist.

And you are objectively wrong about the ends of the tiers. I flew to Germany several weeks back out of the last gate in the int'l wing and it was sweltering.

The US gates are really bad, and the end is worse. The last set of gates, 90-94 (I believe), are raised up and it's like a sauna.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #1989
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
You say you aren't an apologist, but you're making every excuse and minimizing the problems. It's a brand new terminal with apparent state of the art design. These problems should not exist.
It's 2 separate issues, do you not agree? For one, it's not a state of the art design and any claim as such is obviously for marketing - it's a design built to minimize towing distances of airplanes for WestJet. Is dysfunctional HVAC a fault of the design? To me that sounds like incompetent people installing the HVAC. The long walk to gate 73 sounds more like a fault of design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The US gates are really bad, and the end is worse. The last set of gates, 90-94 (I believe), are raised up and it's like a sauna.
I don't find it hot at all around 90/91. I guess I'll literally take a thermometer up there since you claim that it's objectively way hotter than 21-24 which I guarantee are hotter. It's not even close.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #1990
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

how does the renovated Edmonton airport compare to the Calgary airport?
has anyone used both enough recently to offer a comparison?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #1991
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonblue View Post
how does the renovated edmonton airport compare to the calgary airport?
Has anyone used both enough recently to offer a comparison?
yeg = ng
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #1992
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
yeg = ng
We've gone through YEG twice in the last year. Once coming in from a US flight and once flying domestically to Ottawa. I would say the domestic part is about the same. They have one central area for food and shops and some of the gates are pretty far from the main hub. Clearing customs in YEG was brutally slow though. It was much slower than YYC and after clearing customs we were going on to YYC and were spit out into the pre security area so we had to clear security again.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #1993
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I fly in and out of YEG a couple of times per month. The security lines are much better(faster) than Calgary imo. As far as airports go, it’s not terrible.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #1994
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Customs at YYC was major packed and slow moving last night around 9:30. Worst I’ve seen it actually. Usually it’s not too bad.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #1995
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
how does the renovated Edmonton airport compare to the Calgary airport?
has anyone used both enough recently to offer a comparison?
New section south of gate 50 is better by simple virtue of being a smaller airport that handles half the pax YYC does. Everything takes less time because of no trisector gates (i.e. separation of outbound domestic/int'l pax)

Old north terminal that hasn't been redone is drab and terrible.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #1996
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Pearson has a really crappy walk from that remote terminal 3 thing Westjet flies to. I hate Pearson.
Pearson Terminal 3 is the worst. There's literally nowhere to eat unless you like Subway or Smashburger and definitely nowhere to sit down and eat and maybe enjoy a beverage (Fionn MacCools is brutal and those remote terminal bars are just awful).

And don't even get me started about gates B1-B5. I have no idea what's going on there, but to have to walk 10 minutes to an area that has zero places to eat and not even any washrooms?? I really expect more out of an airport in Canada's largest city.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #1997
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The do have washrooms there, but ya, not much else:

What's my gate #? Oh, B1c. Where TF is that? Let's see how un-intuitive we can make this...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #1998
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The do have washrooms there, but ya, not much else:

What's my gate #? Oh, B1c. Where TF is that? Let's see how un-intuitive we can make this...
Oh, you're right. Maybe when I went they were closed. Before we went to that underground connection area over to those gates with the moving sidewalks there was a sign that said "this is the last stop for washrooms" or something like that.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #1999
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Its been a while since I last travelled to the US. I got an email from Westjet indicating a few things like tablet cases need to be removed etc because of increased security procedures.

Am I allowed to bring an apple, orange or banana etc on board to eat during the flight or will they be confiscated?

I read something about if its clearly marked product of Canada or in commercial packaging then its ok.

Thanks,
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #2000
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Its been a while since I last travelled to the US. I got an email from Westjet indicating a few things like tablet cases need to be removed etc because of increased security procedures.

Am I allowed to bring an apple, orange or banana etc on board to eat during the flight or will they be confiscated?

I read something about if its clearly marked product of Canada or in commercial packaging then its ok.

Thanks,
You can bring fruits onto a flight no problem, however, depending on the type of fruit, US customs may confiscate that.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc