Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2020, 01:21 PM   #1461
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a big Tkachuk fan and I think what Kassian did was as close to the Bertuzzi incident that I've ever witnessed.

Can we close the thread now?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #1462
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
You are free to disagree with my assessment, but Tkachuk is an agitator, and agitators are generally disliked so I figure this would kind of be an accepted conclusion even by fans of Tkachuk.
That's all well and good, but most teams (at least contending teams) have at least one agitator on their team and you're right, most are disliked by opposing teams and fans. The part that is tough to take is the over-the-top criticism and in some cases vitriol directed towards Tkackuk that in my opinion is what Flames fans are taking issue with.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #1463
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like this whole "most of the hockey world" thing. Kassian isn't an agitator, he's too stupid to be. But he has also never thrown a clean check in his life. He's consistently about a foot off the ice well before the hit lands, aims for the head, checks from behind, charges, and is just a straight up psychopath. He's about as dirty a player as there is in the game right now. The more I look around, the more I see knowledgeable fans not taking his side. This is mostly the extremely unprofessional Edmonton media just screaming for attention. Most people have just kind of forgotten it actually. As we would have if we didn't have them screaming in our ear from close proximity for the last... when did this happen like a month ago?
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #1464
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Edmonton isn't selling out their new building at all, so KLOWE and Katz called up their trained attack dogs and told them to ramp up the rhetoric.

This isn't about hockey, its about selling tickets. I don't doubt that the Oilers management is in Kassian's ear to make something happen during the game.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #1465
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Because he does stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214746744480645120?s=20

If Kesler or Burrows was the transgressor everyone would be against them too. Tkachuk is the same type of player.

I understand Flames fans taking his side. Tkachuk is your guy.

I understand you seeing his actions in a somewhat different light than the rest of the league, but it still surprises me a little when I see someone genuinely confused that the majority of neutral observers are siding against Tkachuk.

This is just plain silly. If your player gets hurt by these big clean hits, sure be mad. I certainly wouldn't be mad if any of the Flames get lit up with a big hit and carry on with the game. That's part of the game, and its perfectly fine, play smarter, carry on. There was no injury on the play, they were just big hits, so just let it go
Old 01-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #1466
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Edmonton isn't selling out their new building at all, so KLOWE and Katz called up their trained attack dogs and told them to ramp up the rhetoric.

This isn't about hockey, its about selling tickets. I don't doubt that the Oilers management is in Kassian's ear to make something happen during the game.
Yup, Feb 29 is being built up into a Thunderdome moment as much as the press can without promoting violence in the league.

Any PR is good PR, and always has been, for a desperate Lowe (note Holland has stayed quiet, and Tippet after the game thought Kassian needed to control his emotions and hasn’t said anything since), who has also, besides the local guys, have some has beens on social media back Kassian up for putting himself in a position to be rocked 3 times in a game.

Kassian has seen his stock rise and it started the contract talks, so he probably figures to keep the party going for another 5 day stint may net him some more $ or term and get him some more lower common denominator fame in the social media hockey world...even though he had his chance in the third period of the game it occurred, where instead he forgot MT was on the ice, or whatever, and got rocked again with no on ice response from Kassian or anyone else.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:13 PM   #1467
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I like this whole "most of the hockey world" thing. Kassian isn't an agitator, he's too stupid to be. But he has also never thrown a clean check in his life. He's consistently about a foot off the ice well before the hit lands, aims for the head, checks from behind, charges, and is just a straight up psychopath. He's about as dirty a player as there is in the game right now. The more I look around, the more I see knowledgeable fans not taking his side. This is mostly the extremely unprofessional Edmonton media just screaming for attention. Most people have just kind of forgotten it actually. As we would have if we didn't have them screaming in our ear from close proximity for the last... when did this happen like a month ago?

Yep. His first game in Windsor. Look how high he goes. Hasn’t stopped since.

https://youtu.be/lAcGSbrEi-c
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #1468
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The real question is how long will it take Kassian to get himself suspended again?
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #1469
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best way to diffuse the situation and prevent Tkachuk from becoming the next Steve Moore would be a good old fashioned line brawl off the opening face off.

Everybody gets to throw a few and blow off some steam.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #1470
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meers View Post
The best way to diffuse the situation and prevent Tkachuk from becoming the next Steve Moore would be a good old fashioned line brawl off the opening face off.

Everybody gets to throw a few and blow off some steam.
Speaking of steam...I think you'd be able to see a great deal of it coming out of Bettman and Parros' ears if that happened.

I believe they indicated that they'd be in attendance.

Will the Arena staff have someone located at the Power Box ready to kill the lights if the worst were to happen?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #1471
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Given that this first game between the teams will be in Edmonton, and that this also seems to be consuming the Oilers, i would suggest that we'll some unique lines to start the game from Calgary, most likely including Lucic or Rinaldo on Tkachuk & Lindholm's wing rather than Mangiapane.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #1472
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

This whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

I will also predict that Tkachuk will act like he's going to fight Kassian. Kassian will drop the gloves and Tkachuk will skate away or turtle again if Kassian grabs him. Flames fans will laugh and enjoy the PP, Oiler fans will rage and life will go on.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #1473
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I like how Edmonton's all pissy because their borderline NHLer got hit legally in a game.

Where's the outcry from seeing an NHL All-Star getting ragdolled by a borderline NHLer because of a clean hit?

If anyone needs to answer any bell at all, it's Kassian. What dirty little POS. He should be more worried about what Lucic is going to do to him than what he's going to do to Tkachuk.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #1474
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

This game on Wednesday will be a dud.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #1475
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
This.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #1476
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
This.
Of course. Theres no way it could possibly meet any sort of expectation. I just hope we win it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #1477
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I’ll be at the game, and we haven’t lost one yet where I’m at. This year

However i expect it to be a dud too.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #1478
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking this too. This is usually what happens after a game like that. Sort of like after the Detroit game a couple years ago where that little pansy twat Mantha took advantage of Hamonic falling through the gate, and started punching him while on top of him. I believe it was the same game where Tkachuk got a suspension for lightly brushing a guy with his stick, not even hard enough to kill a mosquito. The next game was pretty uneventful, despite the PBP guys sporting a couple of diamond cutters in the booth.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #1479
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Happened a year ago when the Flames played Dallas the night before and came out flat against Edmonton the next night. This was after a similar Kassian freak out.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #1480
Computerjungle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Something fun:. Just was at West Ed and Zack Kassian was leaving after signing autographs. I yelled out "horse collaring is a cheap move and how was someone supposed to fight you after that move". Gave me the dirtiest look...lol

Last edited by Computerjungle; 01-28-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Computerjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Computerjungle For This Useful Post: