Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #6141
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I bought a used vehicle once and had XM for a good year or more.

Sad day when the guy figured out how to cancel
Pretty sure this is the basis for XM's business model. People forgetting they were subscribed.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #6142
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I bought a used car once and had the sirius lifetime sub. Was great! Till I wrote of the car...
What did you write of? Was it a Song of Ice and Fire and still isnt finished?
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #6143
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Am I the only one that likes satellite radio? Have it in my work truck and my minivan. Talk radio, comedy, music. It's like the price of one beer at the bar, which is hardly a big rip off for a month of entertainment. I listen to my music and podcasts from my Google Play Music account still, but sometimes I get tired of my own stuff or don't feel like planning ahead to download a bunch of stuff then mess with my phone while I'm driving.

I like Howard Stern's interviews (if he has someone interesting on), I flip between the news and comedy channels, and I like Turbo, Shade 45, Lithium, XMU, sometimes Coffee House has good acoustic songs, and Spa is great if you're stressed and just want some super chill music. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay fewer ads than on terrestrial radio and I don't have to worry about crappy Can Con.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #6144
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What did you write of? Was it a Song of Ice and Fire and still isnt finished?
A sad country song, lost my car my dog and my girl.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #6145
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Am I the only one that likes satellite radio? Have it in my work truck and my minivan. Talk radio, comedy, music. It's like the price of one beer at the bar, which is hardly a big rip off for a month of entertainment. I listen to my music and podcasts from my Google Play Music account still, but sometimes I get tired of my own stuff or don't feel like planning ahead to download a bunch of stuff then mess with my phone while I'm driving.

I like Howard Stern's interviews (if he has someone interesting on), I flip between the news and comedy channels, and I like Turbo, Shade 45, Lithium, XMU, sometimes Coffee House has good acoustic songs, and Spa is great if you're stressed and just want some super chill music. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay fewer ads than on terrestrial radio and I don't have to worry about crappy Can Con.
I think we all like it. Just hate paying for it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #6146
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like it just not well enough to pay for. That being said its the only radio i know of where I can listen to all 40's music, so its got that going for it.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #6147
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Pretty sure this is the basis for XM's business model. People forgetting they were subscribed.
I live in the middle of nowhere. When you drive to the nearest city, there isn't a local radio signal for 4 and 1/2 hours. XM is a lifesaver for those drives.

If I lived in the city I wouldn't subscribe.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #6148
CaptainYooh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I tried Sirius for about 6 months, as it came included with the new vehicle. Meh... Who cares about their hundreds of channels, really? You choose those channels that broadcast the music you like; that was 4-5 channels for me. Then, in 3 months, they were all repeating the same music over and over again. Plus, the annoying phone calls and endless, seemingly unsubscribable emails to buy a paid subscription...

“To generalize is to be an idiot.” William Blake, Writer
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #6149
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

I used to love it before podcasts became a thing. I would listen to Stern daily. It's funny how many people praise his interviews but they're probably my least favourite part of his show. I like the wack pack, making fun of Baba Booey, and the stuff Sal and Richard come up with. Guest-free episodes are the best because you know someone's going to get attacked by Howard.

I'll listen to the news channels if there's a big event happening, like someone testifying before Congress.

There are some good music channels, especially XMU and Marky Ramone's channel. The quality sucks but it's not unlistenable.

For $5 a month I think it's worth it.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #6150
PaperBagger'14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Liquid metal was/is awesome, but they got rid of the punk station for Turbo and changed Jason Ellis' time slot so that I couldn't listen in anymore. That was enough for me to drop my subscription

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 05-27-2019 at 05:38 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #6151
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting listening to terrestrial radio as an alternative. Fewer ads are still too many ads for me.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #6152
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

i cancelled my satellite radio for august and they spent a good 5 minutes fighting me. i made it clear i wouldnt accept it even if it was free to shut them up, but no, they kept going on and on,
Old 05-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #6153
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
i cancelled my satellite radio for august and they spent a good 5 minutes fighting me. i made it clear i wouldnt accept it even if it was free to shut them up, but no, they kept going on and on,
When it comes to any of these companies I always just tell them I'm moving out of the country and they usually stop trying to convince me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #6154
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Absolute total and utter dopes that edge their grass away from the sidewalk by creating a 3" wide death ditch that perfectly fits the wheel on a kid's bike. Watched my 11 year old go ass over tea kettle yesterday because of this. Same thing happened last year. I remember those as a kid and catching my wheel in there, too. FFS, it's just so dumb.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #6155
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Absolute total and utter dopes that edge their grass away from the sidewalk by creating a 3" wide death ditch that perfectly fits the wheel on a kid's bike. Watched my 11 year old go ass over tea kettle yesterday because of this. Same thing happened last year. I remember those as a kid and catching my wheel in there, too. FFS, it's just so dumb.
The guys that aerated and power raked my lawn did that in my front lawn. I guess it's called power edging and it's to make a cleaner edge. Which I get but I don't understand why it needed to be so big
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:14 PM   #6156
mikephoen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The guys that aerated and power raked my lawn did that in my front lawn. I guess it's called power edging and it's to make a cleaner edge. Which I get but I don't understand why it needed to be so big
I assume it’s to keep the neighbourhood kids off your lawn.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #6157
Ped
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah but then the kids fall onto the lawn and when they skid, wreck it.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #6158
Jimmy Stang
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
In grade one my bike's wheel got caught in there and I wiped out. At that exact moment an older kid was riding in the opposite direction and ran over my outstretched arm, breaking it. So yeah, those gaps can go to hell.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 06:26 AM   #6159
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
They also look terrible in my opinion.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #6160
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

SiriusXM is worth it to me for Howard Stern and NFL radio alone as between those two shows I'm pretty well covered for listening material in my car.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote