Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #481
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

just got back from the theater - wow!!! i loved it!!!
Old 03-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #482
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So a lot of Snoke's backstory has been laid out in the Novel being released this month

https://movieweb.com/snoke-past-myst...ok-adaptation/

Spoiler!

I would expect that this will be explored in a future novel because Rae Sloan was a major character in the new EU, to the point where she was pretty much the military architect of the First Order

Quote:
After the Battle of Jakku and the destruction of the Empire, the First Order began stockpiling weapons and started laboratories in the Unknown Regions as well as shipyards and storehouses. It isn't clear when Snoke stepped up and took control or if it was right from the start, but The Last Jedi novel states that Snoke saved the First Order from many enemies. It is also said that Snoke finds many Force truths in the Unknown Regions that were reportedly "waiting to be found." The book goes on to say that Snoke and Luke Skywalker had met once before, but it is not clear if Luke knew of Snoke's evil intentions. Luke's intentions were to learn more about Jedi lore and Snoke reportedly respected that he was out looking for truth.
It doesn't sound like there was a violent confrontation there. So how did he get those scars.

Quote:
t appears that Snoke was also looking for his truth in the Force and might not have always have been evil. When Snoke was younger, he learned that the "future is always in motion" and said, "Be careful or die." Snoke now realizes that the Force visions are "often incomplete." Additionally, it is revealed that Snoke originally wanted Rey as an apprentice and did not want her for his power like Emperor Palpatine needed Luke Skywalker. It's also shown that Snoke contemplated killing Kylo Ren, even though he believes that Ben Solo is capable of greatness. All in all, that's a lot more about Snoke than we knew previously and should go a long way in helping out fans who were disappointed in the lack of Snoke backstory in The Last Jedi.
I still think we've seen the last of Snoke, he was a powerful Redshirt, that's all.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #483
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #484
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

seems to check out with this

https://twitter.com/user/status/996486979578662912

“I would be worried if everybody across the board was like ‘yeah, it was a good movie’ it’s much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you who are really really excited about it. Then there are other people who walk out literally saying ‘it’s the worst movie I’ve ever seen.’ Having those two extremes is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.”

in other words the Thanos of Star Wars fandom went and snapped his fingers
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #485
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

....quite hilarious
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #486
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw this today for the first time too. They nailed it.

Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #487
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
seems to check out with this

https://twitter.com/user/status/996486979578662912

“I would be worried if everybody across the board was like ‘yeah, it was a good movie’ it’s much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you who are really really excited about it. Then there are other people who walk out literally saying ‘it’s the worst movie I’ve ever seen.’ Having those two extremes is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.”

in other words the Thanos of Star Wars fandom went and snapped his fingers
Who actually thinks like that? To me that sounds like a guy who won't admit his movies are awful. "Well I make them so half the people hate them", yeah right.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #488
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a guy who cares more about being a pretentious artist than making quality art. Pro tip dude, you're directing a Star Wars movie, one of the biggest commercial franchises in existence, you're not some art house director anymore so no one is impressed with how edgy your are.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #489
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Dp.

Last edited by blankall; 09-10-2018 at 12:40 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #490
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If Johnson had been more gracious about the fact that many fans didn't like the film, instead of pissing them off with his tweets, Disney might not have pulled the plug on his trilogy.

I enjoyed TLJ quite a bit, but with all the nerd rage surrounding the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney pulls the plug on him. I'm actually more excited about the upcoming trilogy from David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. A darker, Game of Thrones-style Star Wars movie? Sign me up!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #491
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The problem is that a large part of the audience that hated it are the existing fans, and Johnson seems quite smug about that.

Quite bizarre, he seems to be more concerned with running his mouth than working on the biggest franchise in cinema. If Johnson had been more gracious about the fact that many fans didn't like the film, instead of pissing them off with his tweets, Disney might not have pulled the plug on his trilogy.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #492
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I enjoyed TLJ quite a bit, but with all the nerd rage surrounding the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney pulls the plug on him. I'm actually more excited about the upcoming trilogy from David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. A darker, Game of Thrones-style Star Wars movie? Sign me up!

Funny part about that is Rian Johnson is the Star Wars equivalent Benioff and Weiss for GoT fans. Just like how a lot of hardcore fans loathe Johnson, even hate his guts, for TLJ, B&W are loathed and/or hated by a ton of GoT fans for what they've done to GRRM's books.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #493
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Funny part about that is Rian Johnson is the Star Wars equivalent Benioff and Weiss for GoT fans. Just like how a lot of hardcore fans loathe Johnson, even hate his guts, for TLJ, B&W are loathed and/or hated by a ton of GoT fans for what they've done to GRRM's books.

People seem to be a little bit more understanding about GoT. A big problem with GoT is that GRRM hasn't produced his books on time. When HBO started making GoT they presumed that Winds of Winter would by the initial deadline in 2016.

GRRM has now announced that Winds of Winter won't be done in 2018 and given no actual deadline for the book. HBO clearly has no choice but to soldier on with the show. The writing has clearly fallen off in quality, since they ran out of material from GRRM, but there's not much they can do about that.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #494
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

B&W at least stuck to the script until there was no script left to stick to. If Rian had written Game of Thrones, then Jon Snow's parents would have been drunkards living behind the tavern in Mole's Town, Arya would have effortlessly defeated the Mountain the moment she received Needle, and the Night King would have tripped over himself and gotten squished by a flailing Wun Wun during the attack on Hardhome.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #495
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #496
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TLJ has a RT score of 46% so well done Rian Johnson you damn near achieved your goal.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #497
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
People seem to be a little bit more understanding about GoT. A big problem with GoT is that GRRM hasn't produced his books on time. When HBO started making GoT they presumed that Winds of Winter would by the initial deadline in 2016.

GRRM has now announced that Winds of Winter won't be done in 2018 and given no actual deadline for the book. HBO clearly has no choice but to soldier on with the show. The writing has clearly fallen off in quality, since they ran out of material from GRRM, but there's not much they can do about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
B&W at least stuck to the script until there was no script left to stick to. If Rian had written Game of Thrones, then Jon Snow's parents would have been drunkards living behind the tavern in Mole's Town, Arya would have effortlessly defeated the Mountain the moment she received Needle, and the Night King would have tripped over himself and gotten squished by a flailing Wun Wun during the attack on Hardhome.

No, I'm talking about the stuff they adapted from his books. There is a big segment of fans of the books that feel exactly like the people who hate TLJ feel about Rian Johnson.

The complaints sound very similar too.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #498
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really think it's the same. The changes made by Benioff and Weiss that you're talking about are to source material that was already established. People mad are the ones that read the books and enjoyed the book version more. Not much different with even critically acclaimed stuff like Harry Potter.

And you need to give them some leeway given the time, budget and other constraints. Especially when you consider the source material they had to work off of recently (A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons) is not exactly considered great either.

Rian Johnson just told a crappy story.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 09-10-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #499
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

There's also the fact that even the worst seasons of GoTs still received a 90% audience score on RT vs. the 46% for the TLJ.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #500
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I don't really think it's the same. The changes made by Benioff and Weiss that you're talking about are to source material that was already established. People mad are the ones that read the books and enjoyed the book version more. Not much different with even critically acclaimed stuff like Harry Potter.

And you need to give them some leeway given the time, budget and other constraints. Especially when you consider the source material they had to work off of recently (A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons) is not exactly considered great either.

Rian Johnson just told a crappy story.

Well the complaints are the same. This isn't people who just enjoyed the books more. We're talking about people who think B&W destroyed the source material. The original trilogy is very similar to the books in this way, they are both the source material. Lots of fans think that B&W did many of the same things as Johnson. Bad plots, ruined characters, dumb tangents etc.

Maybe B&W just told a crappy story and Johnson needs to be granted some leeway based on the poor source material.