Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #7401
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Treliving is probably looking to bolster the bottom 6 and not the top. We aren’t in dire need of a top 6 winger, Ferland is on pace for 30g so that need was filled from within. The bottom 6 has really been our problem. If they are looking at Smith as a 3rd line C that pushes Janko to 4 C and Stajan to the press box. That could really bolster our depth. Given the assets we have to work with, that move makes some sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #7402
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Also, I wish everyone would stop throwing Fox into trade proposals.
I don't know that I would characterize it "throwing him in" if he's a large part of a suggested package for an impact forward.

He looks great, but he's also a flight risk, and with the depth we have on defense, it's a real possibility he decides to take his chances and stay put until he's a UFA.

As a result, if he were part of a package to land a significant upgrade at forward that isn't a rental, I think it's a palatable option in that regard.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #7403
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Two little things. About a quarter of the teams in the league don't have a potential NHL calibre goalie in the system. Gilles, Rittich and Parsons all have value. Every team has a Mcdonald, Schneider lottery ticket.

Also, I wish everyone would stop throwing Fox into trade proposals. To a lot of people he is as untouchable as Parsons or Valimaki. He's really good.
Fox is outstanding, and our best prospect.

Something I think people who are saying "Flames don't have the picks to acquire someone big"

The 1st round picks get that get moved at the deadline are late 1st rounders. I'm fairly comfortable in saying:

Andersson > late 1st round pick
Valimaki > late 1st round pick
Fox > late 1st round pick
Kylington > late 1st round pick

Also, Jon Gillies very much fits the modern mold for starting goalies. I do believe he's having a solid season in the AHL and even leads the league in shutouts. He has value, but goalies are hard to peg down.

Dillon Dube is also a pick who I think is worth more today than what he was worth last summer. His performance at the WJC likely has his stock higher than most 2nd round picks from last year.

We've got the assets, we just need to pick our acquisition carefully. In my eyes, none of the players listed above should be moved for a rental.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #7404
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I think Treliving is probably looking to bolster the bottom 6 and not the top. We aren’t in dire need of a top 6 winger, Ferland is on pace for 30g so that need was filled from within. The bottom 6 has really been our problem. If they are looking at Smith as a 3rd line C that pushes Janko to 4 C and Stajan to the press box. That could really bolster our depth. Given the assets we have to work with, that move makes some sense.

Expecting Smith to come in and add offence would be a terrible decision.

Hoffman makes sense. He adds offence. These "top 6/bottom 6" labels don't really apply. The team needs to add scoring, and 5v5 whoever they acquire likely lines up on the 3rd line and then slides onto the 1st PP unit.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #7405
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get Hoffman
Old 02-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #7406
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Expecting Smith to come in and add offence would be a terrible decision.

Hoffman makes sense. He adds offence. These "top 6/bottom 6" labels don't really apply. The team needs to add scoring, and 5v5 whoever they acquire likely lines up on the 3rd line and then slides onto the 1st PP unit.

I’d love it if we were able to get a guy like Hoffman. I don’t think we can afford him, so with that in mind, from management’s perspective, I understand the rationale for looking at a guy like Smith.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #7407
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I’d love it if we were able to get a guy like Hoffman. I don’t think we can afford him, so with that in mind, from management’s perspective, I understand the rationale for looking at a guy like Smith.

I think the reason he's looked down upon is his price tag at that term.

Right now we're saddled with Stajan and Brouwer, both players we'd be better off removing from our roster full stop. Adding Smith to this group just furthers the log jam of average players in our bottom six, and puts another such body chained to the cap / roster for several more years.

If we can't land an upgrade, there's no sense wasting assets on a largely lateral move.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #7408
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

RossCreekNation
@akaRCN
"I was on this morning in CGY & I brought up Zack Smith & somebody got in touch with me after & told me 'its not Zack Smith'" (re: CGY) - @FriedgeHNIC on Oilers Now

(That's a paraphrase as best I could recall, not an exact quote)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #7409
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Hmmmm (TM Roger Millions)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #7410
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:

I think we have some very valuable pieces, and I wouldn’t be opposed to giving them up for a guy like Hoffman (high end + has term left). It’ll be interesting to see how things shake out over the next few weeks, or possibly days if Brouwer’s injury speeds things up.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #7411
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
you'd have to think Hoffman would command value wise, a 2 firsts and a 2nd and possibly a 3rd. What that actually equates too if you include players is a different question... but looking at what the Sens gave up to acquire Duchene suggests the price will be high

it it were Brodie straight up, i'd pull that trigger today...

but its more likely a guy like Pageau, whom i'd be happy with, as i believe we need an upgrade to the bottom 6. Byron would be a nice add too

yes, the top 6 could use help too, but only if you are willing to pay a hefty price.
Hoffman will not command that much IMO. There is actually some noise from Ottawa that they aren't particularly happy with him and are looking to move him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Fox is outstanding, and our best prospect.

Something I think people who are saying "Flames don't have the picks to acquire someone big"

The 1st round picks get that get moved at the deadline are late 1st rounders. I'm fairly comfortable in saying:

Andersson > late 1st round pick
Valimaki > late 1st round pick
Fox > late 1st round pick
Kylington > late 1st round pick

Also, Jon Gillies very much fits the modern mold for starting goalies. I do believe he's having a solid season in the AHL and even leads the league in shutouts. He has value, but goalies are hard to peg down.

Dillon Dube is also a pick who I think is worth more today than what he was worth last summer. His performance at the WJC likely has his stock higher than most 2nd round picks from last year.

We've got the assets, we just need to pick our acquisition carefully. In my eyes, none of the players listed above should be moved for a rental.
Valimaki went 15th and his stock has risen since - mid 1st at worst now
Fox is worth a mid 1st as well IMO.
Andersson is NHL-ready, and IMO that should be worth more than a late 1st (and apparently teams have been asking about him)
Kylington is probably worth a late 1st - maybe a bit less (though I wouldn't trade him for less, that's for sure)
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #7412
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman on Oilers Now is saying that someone told him after his Calgary radio hit that it is not Zack Smith that the Flames are looking at on the Senators.
Here is the radio hit on Oilers now:

https://omny.fm/shows/oilers-now-wit...hocke?t=16m13s
Old 02-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #7413
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the flames are looking at pageau. Could be a good pickup imo he's less risky than smith and he would fit with Bennett line giving them some more speed
Old 02-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #7414
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Hoffman will not command that much IMO. There is actually some noise from Ottawa that they aren't particularly happy with him and are looking to move him.

Valimaki went 15th and his stock has risen since - mid 1st at worst now
Fox is worth a mid 1st as well IMO.
Andersson is NHL-ready, and IMO that should be worth more than a late 1st (and apparently teams have been asking about him)
Kylington is probably worth a late 1st - maybe a bit less (though I wouldn't trade him for less, that's for sure)

Agreed. I was just trying to illustrate that our defensive prospects are likely some of the most valuable available pieces on the trade market coming from the buyer’s side of things, if they’re made available
Old 02-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #7415
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know a few people within the Flames organization really like Derrick Brassard. I wonder if he's the one they have been scouting.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #7416
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
I know a few people within the Flames organization really like Derrick Brassard. I wonder if he's the one they have been scouting.
Entirely possible, and if so, you can see the end of Backlund in Calgary is real close.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #7417
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
How is he defensively? Better or worse than Backlund?
Old 02-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #7418
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
He is very good...not Backlund level mind you, but certainly holds his own.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #7419
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I think the flames are looking at pageau. Could be a good pickup imo he's less risky than smith and he would fit with Bennett line giving them some more speed
Pageau is a local kid so I doubt they let him go but you never know. Might be a good pickup if the price was right say Poirier plus...
Old 02-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #7420
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I agree with Transplant99, he is not on Backlund's level but he is very good. Not sure if it spells the end to Backlund coming back. Tre loves center depth and you need it in the playoffs. Moving Janko to the wing for a bit would not hurt, especially since he has been struggling a bit lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread