Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Kudos to Jets fans

I was at the game last night and the atmosphere was awesome! Part of it was the playoff races, but another reason was the fun rivalry with Jets fans. That's a big point of departure compared to some other teams we have roll into town; Jets fans were fun, excited to be there and just not as irritating as some other teams fans can be. I even had to laugh when they shouted "True North" during the anthem...hilarious that they're celebrating their ownership group, but just amusing.

It probably didn't hurt that the Jets were outplayed for the most part. I had originally not wanted to go to this game, thinking it would full of annoying Jets fans. There were a lot of them there, but it was a lot more fun than I expected! I'm sure some people have stories of someone being ignorant or belligerent but that wasn't my experience. So, I say Kudos both to the Jets fans last night as well as the Flames fans who rose to the occasion to drown them out! It was a lot of fun!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Barnet Flame
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The atmosphere really seemed to come through on television. An immensely enjoyable game that both sets of fans played a big part in.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like the Flames gets energize when the two camps Leafs-Flames fans, Habs-Flames and Jets-Flames fans are chanting at the same time. I kind of like it because the usually quiet Saddledome gets loud not just because someone scores a goal or the game is getting closer to the end.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone definitely seemed to be having a good time. I'm guessing a good playoff series would change the neighborly vibes though.

It's always good to have some active opposition fans in the stands....as long as they aren't Canucks fans. Those guys seriously just ruin everything.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the most fun I've had in the 'Dome in years. Very good atmosphere.

"Media" // Managing Editor @ FlamesNation // Flames contributor at Sporting News // Twitter
// Sometimes you can see me in the background of scrums on TV or hear me on the radio // PHWA member
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames fans need to find a way to get into the game without being pressured by opposing fans. I don't know the solution, and to be honest I'm part of the problem too... but our crowd is so damn docile.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

By far the best game I've been to all year! Especially that 1st period. Awesomeness.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Flames fans need to find a way to get into the game without being pressured by opposing fans. I don't know the solution, and to be honest I'm part of the problem too... but our crowd is so damn docile.
I'm a firm believer of the team needs to give the crowd the ammunition to cheer. The Flames have played far too many lack luster efforts the past few seasons and play an incredibly boring style of hockey many nights. This is not condusive to loud crowds.

Winning or losing, if the effort is there and the hockey is fun to watch, the crowd will respond, but it's tough to consistently get behind the team if the entire game is bumbling pucks around in the nuteral zone, as has been the case far too often these past few years.

Last night was not only a interesting because of the Jets fans presence, but both teams played and exciting style of hockey. That said, I doubt our coach was too impressed with the way it was executed, not tight enough (or boring enough) for his liking I'm sure, but I don't doubt for a second the exciting style of play on the ice also contributed to the better atmosphere as well.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Had a great time. Thought the Jets fans were excellent.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Pepper2489
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I was at the game last night and the atmosphere was awesome! Part of it was the playoff races, but another reason was the fun rivalry with Jets fans. That's a big point of departure compared to some other teams we have roll into town; Jets fans were fun, excited to be there and just not as irritating as some other teams fans can be. I even had to laugh when they shouted "True North" during the anthem...hilarious that they're celebrating their ownership group, but just amusing.

It probably didn't hurt that the Jets were outplayed for the most part. I had originally not wanted to go to this game, thinking it would full of annoying Jets fans. There were a lot of them there, but it was a lot more fun than I expected! I'm sure some people have stories of someone being ignorant or belligerent but that wasn't my experience. So, I say Kudos both to the Jets fans last night as well as the Flames fans who rose to the occasion to drown them out! It was a lot of fun!
In my section:
Jet's fan: Lots of 4 letter language while tauting a Flames fan
Flames fan: After not saying much initially, finally says: "Dude, I'm here with my kid..."
Jet's fan: After looking at the kid and then getting an embarrased look on his face says: "Yeah, Winnipeg is not a very nice city."
Pepper2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wasn't expecting anything else from my fellow Jet fans. Altho to be quite honest I wasn't expecting the Dome to be packed with so many of us. Jets fans in Ottawa, the New York area, Philly and Chicago have all been the same; just happy to be back in the league and happy to see other Jets fans. The Flames fans def fed off the energy of having so many opposing fans in the building and the competing chants were really fun to be a part of. Best game of the year to be at imo.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really a fun atmosphere atmosphere last night!
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
WinnipegFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Kudos right back to the Flames fans! It was awesome!!!!!! Absolutely zero swearing in our area, but tons of cheering!!! The Jets fans were winning the cheering battle up until the flames scored 3 and the flames fanned owned! Most cheering I have seen from the Sea of Red in my entire time in Calgary. I loved it! Would have liked a Jets victory but was very happy to see the Flames play so well!
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnipegFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

I was there last night and I thought the atmosphere was one of the best all year at the dome. Jets fans for the most part were fun, but after the game on the main concourse some were still chanting go Jets go and in our faces type of thing. Didn't understand considering Flames just handed them a 5-3 loss.

The game was awesome though. It was 14 years in the making.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

it looked like a lot of fun for everyone.

- Ron Swanson
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
I wasn't expecting anything else from my fellow Jet fans. Altho to be quite honest I wasn't expecting the Dome to be packed with so many of us. Jets fans in Ottawa, the New York area, Philly and Chicago have all been the same; just happy to be back in the league and happy to see other Jets fans. .

That's because all of those 'Jets' Fans cheers for another team like, say the Flames untill 9 months ago.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

why did you use quotes there?
The Following User Says Thank You to Notorious Honey Badger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
why did you use quotes there?
Why are you asking a question you already know the answer to?
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #19
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
Why are you asking a question you already know the answer to?
i honestly dont know the answer. im sure theres several snarky things he could be implying but i just want to know which one it is
Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for making this thread. This was one of the first things I commented to my girl about after the game, was the atmosphere. No jerk maneuvers by the Jets fans (that I witnessed, anyways) and nothing but positive fan experience with them. Hope we see more of the Jets next year!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote