Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #1801
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Now, I will say in defence of the young on air personalities at 960, I’ve heard they get little to no real feedback or coaching.

I mean, we’ve all heard Kirsch host Hockey Central at Noon. He’s easily on of the worst on air and he’s the boss.
I will also defend those guys to a point. They are relatively new at this and will need the reps to get better. However, I still think most of the criticism that I have seen is fair. Klein has a personality and is getting better. Nault, not so much.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #1802
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Questioning the need for it. People are like "I am just critiquing their performance" but it gets pretty personal and nothing new is added. Its like daily "guess what this person I don't like said today! Get your pitchforks". There is no value added to anything in here
I mean, there's no added value to critiquing the Flames performance on a message board either, but yet, here we are. They're on radio personalities. It's totally fair game (as the listening public) to say who we like to hear and who we don't. That's the whole entertainment side of sports IMO.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #1803
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Rob Kerr was famous for his caveat that their discussions about a player, coach, etc... were not a referendum on the human being, but specifically a discussion about the professional. The same applies here. A person can be a fine human being and a lack lustre afternoon host on a radio station.

The challenge with Calgary sports radio is that it's mostly comprised of young guys who like sports and took a radio engineering program at a community college to become a radio producer. Those guys get hired cheap on 960, do their time and then slowly get air time.

So, if you're thinking Nault ain't great and shouldn't be on the show anymore, brace yourself because Logan Gordon will be the next man up since they're highly unlikely to shell out the money to have have a professional broadcaster or former player on the show in the capacity required.
Plus, I'd like to think as broadcasters, they have pretty thick skin to be in the business. If they are really keen to learn and improve, then they'd take the criticisms and try to improve on them.

A prime example is Cassie Campbell. I've noticed quite a bit of improvement from her over the past few years. She used to be unbearable to listen to because she offered so little insight. Now, I can say she's actually come into her own, and is noticeably better.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #1804
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Me, reading this thread: 'The folks at the Fan are doing their best, and it must be a tough business. Being in media is probably harder than we think. People should cut them some slack.'
Also me, in the car, when Trace Ventura does the traffic update: 'AARGH HOW DOES THIS GUY STAY EMPLOYED JUST TELL ME THE TRAFFIC UPDATE YOU ARE THE WORST AAAARGH!!!'
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #1805
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
Also me, in the car, when Trace Ventura does the traffic update: 'AARGH HOW DOES THIS GUY STAY EMPLOYED JUST TELL ME THE TRAFFIC UPDATE YOU ARE THE WORST AAAARGH!!!'
What's that? You mean you don't just love hearing ‘Into the CRUSSSSHHHH of the RUSSSSHHHH!’ 29 times a day? Shocking!
Old 02-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #1806
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The tough part that the 960 guys face is are not reporters or insiders, so they have no real info. Nor are they experienced hockey analysts, so they have no insight. They’re fans with a platform. There are some CPers who have more informed things to say. What they should do is rely more heavily on actual insiders or reporters to come on the show.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #1807
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The tough part that the 960 guys face is are not reporters or insiders, so they have no real info. Nor are they experienced hockey analysts, so they have no insight. They’re fans with a platform. There are some CPers who have more informed things to say. What they should do is rely more heavily on actual insiders or reporters to come on the show.
Most of these guys call themselves insiders and actually have very little inside information. An example is Dreger or Friedman who talk mostly to agents and spread rumours, they are all trying to be the next Ron MacLean. I am sure that nobody on the Flames gives Francis any inside information. I will gladly listen to Warrener, DeBrusk or Brett Krahn at least they have some interesting stories and insight into what is happening in a dressing room and on a team.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #1808
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That makes like 85% of radio hosts out there underqualified by that logic.

They are reporting, to be fair. They're preparing questions, interviewing guests in the game or around the game on a daily basis and relaying information to us as it comes. Unless somewhere along the way the term took on a different meaning.

Pat always has some great stats for reference after the games that I find insightful. Lombardias has a ton of history with every level of hockey.

Sure yeah, I'm not sure what some of the new afternoon regulars are bringing aside from playing devils advocate on everything but there are definitely some seasoned professionals with insight on the station.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #1809
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
That makes like 85% of radio hosts out there underqualified by that logic...
This is depending on what you think to be their primary purpose. "Radio hosts" on every station are just that: entertainers whose function it is to keep the audience's attention. This is why so many radio personalities are able to move from one format to another without missing much of a beat. Was Larry Day a sports guy? A movie guy? A news guy? All three? None of the above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #1810
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
That makes like 85% of radio hosts out there underqualified by that logic.

They are reporting, to be fair. They're preparing questions, interviewing guests in the game or around the game on a daily basis and relaying information to us as it comes. Unless somewhere along the way the term took on a different meaning.

Pat always has some great stats for reference after the games that I find insightful. Lombardias has a ton of history with every level of hockey.

Sure yeah, I'm not sure what some of the new afternoon regulars are bringing aside from playing devils advocate on everything but there are definitely some seasoned professionals with insight on the station.
Their stuff with guests is different. Including guys like Loubo. But when they have to do without, they have nothing to say. We’re talking the full timers here.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #1811
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is depending on what you think to be their primary purpose. "Radio hosts" on every station are just that: entertainers whose function it is to keep the audience's attention. This is why so many radio personalities are able to move from one format to another without missing much of a beat. Was Larry Day a sports guy? A movie guy? A news guy? All three? None of the above?
Music composer.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #1812
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fireball is my favourite Kirsch moment.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #1813
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

This thread has veered somewhat from the original topic.

What was it that Calgarypuck was supposed to take and have we in fact taken it yet?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #1814
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I mean, there's no added value to critiquing the Flames performance on a message board either, but yet, here we are. They're on radio personalities. It's totally fair game (as the listening public) to say who we like to hear and who we don't. That's the whole entertainment side of sports IMO.
People are harder on the Fan960 hosts, most of whom make less money than you or I, than they are on the Flames players.

Most GTs are less hostile than this thread is at times. Then again, who am I to judge if someone gets irate because the radio station they chose to listen to for free isn't good enough.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #1815
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Plus they troll this forum for topics and resources.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #1816
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I would expect so. It's a good source of mixed topics.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #1817
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
If true, here's some (positive) feedback.

I only ever listen to the podcast of the morning show as I don't live in Cgy, and I can't deal with commercials of any kind on any broadcast other than when watching live sports. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people than they expect moving to podcast only, even if they are local to Cgy.

I miss the music, although it is kinda funny to play "guess that tune" when Boomer starts singing with no background. I like it when Reilly is running the board because sometimes he forgets and music is on the podcast. I also like it when they forget to beep the swears on the podcast.

Boomer, Pinder, and Warrnner are very fun together. You have an ex-player with a lazy attitude, but a real career, a nerdy abrasive stats guy who is normally wrong, and a journeyman western Canadian broadcast guy who is the perfect age for this thing to moderate.

When Krahn is in, it's comedic gold. The episode they did about road hockey last summer (it's mentioned earlier in this thread) was the greatest episode of any podcast ever if you grew up playing road hockey. Full stop. The more Brent Krahn the better.

The beer league games they call are similarly genius.

Brunt and Virk are spectacular guests regardless of topic. I could listen to both those guys all day.

F-I'm Old is brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Will Nault and Peter Klein are learning the ropes. There has been improvement. I don't generally listen to them unless they are filling in. The footrace between Nault and Krahn in the empty mall is a Covid memory that will last a lifetime (as is the Owl mask, and that man doing a full splits).

Peter Klein should approach all broadcasting topics the way he approaches wrestling. He speaks with confidence and truly shows his potential as a media person when he talks about it. He just needs that level of passion on other topics and he could be great someday.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #1818
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Being Geoff’s neighbour makes it extra hilarious when they start lighting him up
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #1819
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
Me, reading this thread: 'The folks at the Fan are doing their best, and it must be a tough business. Being in media is probably harder than we think. People should cut them some slack.'

Haha exactly. Even the morning crew bash Ventura, Defrost's imitations crack me up. "Trace" annoys me the way Nault annoys most people here.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #1820
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Isn't "Trace Ventura" a stage name, too? I could have sworn it was Trace St. John at some point. I remember wondering whether his name was Trace or Trey.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote