Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #1741
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A lot of people live in a sports bubble, With few exceptions that may include the Olympics or the World Cup, it’s just not that important.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #1742
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/brea...couver-calgary

Quote:
“The local Breakfast Television morning shows in Calgary and Vancouver, in their current form, have been cancelled,” she said.

“In early 2021, we will be expanding the Breakfast Television brand and a new BT will air on Citytv in six markets across the country: Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal. In addition, there are programming changes at some radio stations across the country, but listeners will continue to hear local news and the stations will continue to support community events.”
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 08:32 PM   #1743
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not 960 related but Sixeiro just announced he is leaving the Tim and Sid show.

Certainly a surprise.

Edit: He just also announced he is joining Breakfast Television as a co-host (in Toronto) in March.

That's a big job, mainstream TV. Follow the footsteps of Michael Strahan!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 07:24 AM   #1744
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow, yeah that is big news about Sid leaving. Admittedly I haven't watched it regularly for years, but I used to watch them daily back in The Score days...end of an era.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #1745
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

My 12Lb bad of white hulless popcorn has arrived. lol.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #1746
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
My 12Lb bad of white hulless popcorn has arrived. lol.
Better be reviewing

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #1747
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not 960 related but Sixeiro just announced he is leaving the Tim and Sid show.

Certainly a surprise.

Edit: He just also announced he is joining Breakfast Television as a co-host (in Toronto) in March.
I've become a big fan, mainly through their podcast more than watching the show. Sid is a talented guy who can talk about pretty much any topic with knowledge and passion. He actually convinced me to watch the Bachelor for the first time ever and I have to admit its pretty damn entertaining!

Sad to see him go but it opens the door for a new voice from maybe an underrepresented demographic. They have a lot of great guest hosts who stand in for both of them.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #1748
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah who knows if Mcauliffe carries on with that format or not but if he does i would wager that Donovan Bennett gets a real long look.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #1749
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

tim and sid have a long partnership together - 15 yrs maybe?
Old 01-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #1750
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What is Francis talking about? Simon hasn't bounced on the top 2 lines. He was on the fourth line (after being scratched) and then played with Monahan.

The only CGY hockey media that I've liked for good analysis is the firestarter podcast - even with that it's so little becuase they do interviews. Step it up!
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #1751
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

3pm and no content on Flames twitter. Nothing new (except a podcast probably recorded earlier) on the main site is just not good enough. Up north they pump out content much more regularly.

Why is it so sparse here - this is a hockey mad town and it's the standard 3-4 interviews post practice or whatever. Not good enough.

Write some stories, do some player in depth breakdowns - combine video with analytics. Find the Flames video coach and ask him how the coaches break down game video and then do it yourself for the fans.

Why do we get coverage or content that is still following the daily newspaper model. Get it together!!!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #1752
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
3pm and no content on Flames twitter. Nothing new (except a podcast probably recorded earlier) on the main site is just not good enough. Up north they pump out content much more regularly.

Why is it so sparse here - this is a hockey mad town and it's the standard 3-4 interviews post practice or whatever. Not good enough.

Write some stories, do some player in depth breakdowns - combine video with analytics. Find the Flames video coach and ask him how the coaches break down game video and then do it yourself for the fans.

Why do we get coverage or content that is still following the daily newspaper model. Get it together!!!
Why isn’t the post game coverage on the NHL app / NHLTV after the game?

Almost any US regional coverage does this. Sportsnet tries to get everyone watching their regional garbage hosted out of Toronto rather than actually doing proper post game coverage.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #1753
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

It’s true. For sure. The Flames, their players and the media here certainly don’t give the fans really very much or what the demand is or deserve. The broadcast last week commented it was a “quiet dressing room”, so perhaps that’s part of the reluctance to give interviews, etc, but still. Pretty weird the lack of engagement with fans / availability / etc.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #1754
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
It’s true. For sure. The Flames, their players and the media here certainly don’t give the fans really very much or what the demand is or deserve. The broadcast last week commented it was a “quiet dressing room”, so perhaps that’s part of the reluctance to give interviews, etc, but still. Pretty weird the lack of engagement with fans / availability / etc.
The Flames didn't practice yesterday. And it was a game day for the Oilers. No wonder the Oilers had lot's of content.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #1755
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
The Flames didn't practice yesterday. And it was a game day for the Oilers. No wonder the Oilers had lot's of content.
They put up lots of content regardless. Their draft coverage is way beyond anything done here.

The Fan is bringing in that goalie guy Woodley - this is excellent analysis. The kind of content I want to see - they breakdown the game very technically. Woodley was talking about goalies and defensive systems about looking around a screen short side or far side.

The analysis we get now is very superficial and mostly it's just basic interviews with little to no insight.

There is a comfort zone I think with media here - you don't see anything past the supericial legacy media articles of the past. Why not get a coach to add perspective on things with a technical focus on d zone coverage, breakouts etc. There must be some coaches who have this ability and want to increase their cache as knowledgable tacticians. Even former players.

The Flames coverage is stuck in the 80s. I think there is a more sophisticated fan, who sees this deep dive in other sports and want to see it applied to hockey - enough folksy stories. Get into the the technical aspects of the game and explain the how and why.

There are plenty of websites that state here were the advanced stats from the last game but zero analysis of how that happened, describing the details that coaches teach players in order to get those result. That would be interesting to read and learn about. Give us college level instead of grade 4.

Describe the offensive sets, the types of sequences the players are doing on PP, describe the coaching concepts of the PK. What are the hallmarks of a Geoff Ward coached team compared to a Vigneault team, what types of patterns or routes do these coaches want out of their centres... all that kind of stuff.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 01-23-2021 at 11:16 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #1756
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post

Yeah, the Oilers playing the Leafs. It was like the hockey world stood still.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #1757
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is Francis talking about? Simon hasn't bounced on the top 2 lines. He was on the fourth line (after being scratched) and then played with Monahan.
Eric Francis is the Noah Vanderhoff of Calgary.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #1758
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Give us college level instead of grade 4..
Agree with the whole post, well said. I also wanted to echo how much I enjoyed those Kevin Woodley segments, and the deeper technical analysis he brings. I’d like to see more of that on strategies and systems.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:21 PM   #1759
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh, I can only speak for myself but I like how 960 mixes other sports in there. Those years I was in the Edmonton area, yeah its true that its Oilers practically 24/7 on 1260. But is that good? Like it'd be middle of the summer, CFL & MLB in full swing, NFL training camp on...and its just Oilers Oilers Oilers. I love hockey too, but I don't need that nonstop level of coverage on my team when they aren't even lacing em up for another 3 months, especially when there's other sports currently playing that I love.

1260 shouldn't even represent themselves as "sports radio", but just embrace what they actually are: specifically a NHL/Oilers-only station.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #1760
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Eh, I can only speak for myself but I like how 960 mixes other sports in there. Those years I was in the Edmonton area, yeah its true that its Oilers practically 24/7 on 1260. But is that good? Like it'd be middle of the summer, CFL & MLB in full swing, NFL training camp on...and its just Oilers Oilers Oilers. I love hockey too, but I don't need that nonstop level of coverage on my team when they aren't even lacing em up for another 3 months, especially when there's other sports currently playing that I love.

1260 shouldn't even represent themselves as "sports radio", but just embrace what they actually are: specifically a NHL/Oilers-only station.
No. That is no good.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: