Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #161
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not quite sure Iggy is done. He can still sign with a team, he just can't play in the playoffs. It's unlikely, but I do remember hearing a couple players being signed after the deadline before. I also think with a full off season, he might be able to get a PTO in the fall. I'm not gonna say he's done until he files those papers.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #162
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Just like trades can still be made, but traded players after the deadline are ineligible for the playoffs.
I did not know this. Thanks.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #163
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's done.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #164
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
I wonder if anyone has ever done that and signed just for the rest of the regular season only.

Very unlikely scenario, but let's say the Flames clinch playoffs with a home game to spare and winning or losing that home game Apr 7 vs LVK has no effect on anyone else in the league for draft position or anything.

Assuming he would be well and truly done and announce retirement, what about him actually playing in that last game instead of just some ceremonial press conference signing? That'd be awesome if all parties were up for it and totally unique.
I would love this. I think the one-day contract thing is a bit ridiculous. Obviously just for show to the point where I don't know why they don't just give them a jersey for the photo op and call it the same thing.

Actually playing one last game would make a meaningless game so meaningful. Jersey off our backs? How about a sack full of onions instead.
P-DAZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #165
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder now if he has any desire to play in the worlds.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #166
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Were any teams even rumoured to be scouting him in Providence? It seemed like Iginla tried to create a buzz it didn't go anywhere.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #167
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Were any teams even rumoured to be scouting him in Providence? It seemed like Iginla tried to create a buzz it didn't go anywhere.
To be honest I don't think it was well advertised he was even practicing in Providence.

The Providence Bruins beat writer broke the story and it kind of surprised the rest of the media. If it was well known that he was going to be practicing for an attempted NHL contract, I think the McKenzies and Friedmans would have broken it.

And FWIW Francis says he was in regular contact with Iginla's agent asking for updates and the agent kept saying nothing was happening.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #168
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

the Providence ice time demonstrates he still wants to play. No point making a scene as such otherwise. So i don't see him retiring just yet.

The regular season only gig is a good suggestion, and it would make me happy as a Flames fan to know the franchise extended an offer of some sort to him so that he isn't left to retire after being passed over in favour of other older players like Gionta.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #169
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
The regular season only gig is a good suggestion, and it would make me happy as a Flames fan to know the franchise extended an offer of some sort to him so that he isn't left to retire after being passed over in favour of other older players like Gionta.
I don't know... who is going to sign him for a regular season gig?

A draft lottery team? Maybe, but why would they dress and pay Iginla over giving some of their younger players ice time to develop? Does he even want to play for a team that is going to struggle for the rest of the season?

A playoff bubble team? If you didn't think he was a liability and/or he was going to help you win games you probably would have signed him before the trade deadline to help you in the playoffs.

A cup contender? Again you would have probably signed him before the deadline if you thought he wouldn't be a liability and could help you win games.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #170
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

A draft lottery team? Maybe, but why would they dress and pay Iginla over giving some of their younger players ice time to develop? Does he even want to play for a team that is going to struggle for the rest of the season?

A playoff bubble team? If you didn't think he was a liability and/or he was going to help you win games you probably would have signed him before the trade deadline to help you in the playoffs.

A cup contender? Again you would have probably signed him before the deadline if you thought he wouldn't be a liability and could help you win games.
Hard to argue with any of your points. IMO there is only one team where it might make some sense for both sides ...
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #171
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Hard to argue with any of your points. IMO there is only one team where it might make some sense for both sides ...
Not this one.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #172
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

He will probably be given a PTO next season and play out the preseason with someone.

After that, if he still doesn't get any interest... well, I suppose then it's time, after years and years, for both us and Jarome to finally let it go. Just brings a lump to my throat thinking about it.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:56 AM   #173
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
He will probably be given a PTO next season and play out the preseason with someone.

After that, if he still doesn't get any interest... well, I suppose then it's time, after years and years, for both us and Jarome to finally let it go. Just brings a lump to my throat thinking about it.
I would not be opposed to that Iginla PTO happening with the Flames. I thought that the preseason Fleury had with the Flames before his retirement was really classy and valuable both to him, the fans and the franchise, albeit a bit tainted when he had to spout off about being cut. I absolutely loved it when Theo lined up next to Iggy, when he scored and that he actually looked like a decent player still, partly obviously because of the lower tempo in the preseason. Iggy should be able to pot a few more goals in the dome under those circumstances too. and if he is somehow still capable he could be up for a one-year contract like Jagr. No matter how it plays out, it has the potential to make a lot of things right in this world again.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:32 AM   #174
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

We should’ve signed him over Jagr lol
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #175
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
We should’ve signed him over Jagr lol
If there wasn't hip surgery involved, I'm sure we would have taken a closer look. Look at how long it knocked Versteeg out for, teams wouldn't sign him just to sit on LTIR until a few weeks left in the season.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #176
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He had to sign by 3pm today to be eligible for playoffs. He can still sign and play regular season games now, but playoffs are no longer and option this season.
I believe Turco did that a few years ago, didn’t he? Signed post trade deadline.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #177
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I believe Turco did that a few years ago, didn’t he? Signed post trade deadline.
I think he did it with Boston, and he was awful at that. Or was it Chicago?
MrMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #178
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If there wasn't hip surgery involved, I'm sure we would have taken a closer look. Look at how long it knocked Versteeg out for, teams wouldn't sign him just to sit on LTIR until a few weeks left in the season.
Ya that’s fair. But it’s a sad ending. Can’t believe he is likely done.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #179
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

I could see a playoff bound team signing him if there were some sort of catastrophic injury situation. Have 3 or 4 guys get hurt and not have enough depth on the farm to cover.

But that's a real longshot.

I'd say in all likelihood Iggy's career is over.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #180
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't get why he didn't have the hip surgery until November if he really wanted to play this year.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote