Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #201
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
If he is serious about wanting to play in the NHL he has to try hard to get an invite to the worlds. He has to play something this year. There is no way he can go 18 months without playing hockey and expect to be playing in the NHL.
Probably his best bet unless someone offers him a PTO. But yes, he needs to get into game action with NHL-level players, and the Worlds is his next best opportunity for that if someone doesn't sign him post-deadline as a bit of an audition.

And Iginla is pretty damn slow. He's still strong, can battle in the corners and drop the mitts still, and of course his bullet shot. But he makes Chris Stewart look like Michael Grabner in terms of foot speed and motor.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hes never been notorious for speed, but his showings when on a line with fast players are pretty conclusive that he has a hard time keeping up.

In a game thats faster than ever that lack of speed is going to be a serious hurdle.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #203
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What? He is waaaaay slower

Stewart isn't even slow
I like Stewart but he is slow.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #204
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Neither is Iggy.
Stewart would look like Johnny in a foot race against Iggy.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #205
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He didn't get any this season. I don't know if he's more likely to get any next season after not playing for over a year.
Was he open to PTO offers, or was he only trying to find a contract? I honestly don't know, but I don't remember reading anything during the summer/preseason about him being receptive to a PTO. If so, then I guess this is the end of the line for him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #206
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Was he open to PTO offers, or was he only trying to find a contract? I honestly don't know, but I don't remember reading anything during the summer/preseason about him being receptive to a PTO. If so, then I guess this is the end of the line for him.
Last season he was at least able to get some time on the Kings, not a playoff team though. This season, not even a sniff of interest even though he'd cost no assets to acquire.

Considering he thought he could put off the surgery long enough to perhaps get an offer close to the deadline, I would think this is a bit of a wake up call for him, that his time in the league is drawing to a close despite his career and name. His practicing with the Providence Bruins was leaked to try and draw up some hype (which it did with certain fanbases) but ultimately he's left sitting out again.

He'd better take whatever opportunity he can get even if it's a PTO or 10-15 games on a non-playoff team.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #207
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
That, I don't know. You would think that when it became obvious he wasn't going to get a contract offer prior to training camp, that he would have accepted an offer of a PTO somewhere.

Who knows? Maybe pride got in the way, or GMs felt like they couldn't disrespect a future Hall of Famer by offering just a try-out.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #208
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Hopefully he is done. It is starting to get pathetic when guys just cant admit they are done.
It's always my favourite thing ever when someone on an internet forum decides that their own personal feelings about another human being's livelihood and what they should do with their life is more important then what said human being actually wants to do with their own life.

Why do you care so much if he plays again and not at the same level he once was? Does it frustrate you when you go to HockeyDB and see he won't put up PPG season's anymore? How is a person who spent their entire life being a professional athlete to the best of their abilities and wants to continue doing so pathetic? Genuinely curious how you come to that conclusion.

Making an NHL salary (even at minimum wage), living a first-class lifestyle and being around your friends/colleagues every day is a very attractive lifestyle. I can see why some players want to prolong that kind of life. I don't get internet keyboard warriors who seem to think they know what is best for these athletes simply because they watch them on a TV screen.

Very very odd to call a universally respected HOF player like Iginla pathetic, simply for wanting to do what he loves doing if a team is willing to accept him.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: