Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #261
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Could be an odd place for a Monahan conversation, but his production this year has altered my view of the top two centers going forward.

I envisioned a Bennett as the stud offensive center and Monahan as the two way guy that plays on the second line. However given the kid is heading towards 30 goals at the age of 20 that just seems silly.

Really like the fact that they could in fact be heading towards a two headed monster instead of a center 1 and center 2 situation.

All this with the caveat that while Monahan is doing it, Bennett is still just a projection.
Two headed monster is a good description.

I think fans put too much stock in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd thing. Actual roles are more complicated than that.

What I see from Monahan and Bennett is two Cs that can both play any top 2 role. That gives you the flexibility to match them against other teams in various ways.

The best teams can play any style. When you have two guys like Monahan and Bennett, you have lots of options with respect to line matching and you are always able to get one of them away from the other team's shut down guys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #262
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Remember when Monahan's goals were guaranteed to go down because.. shooting percentage.
Last season he was essentially a garbage collector. A clean shaven, less dirty Tim Kerr.

He didn't carry the puck.
He didn't really pass the puck all that well.
He didn't really create anything.

He just cruised into the slot and banged home pucks. Sure there were some nice wristers, the guy has a shot. And sure there's a skill in getting open, or timing that "openness" to be effective, but there was very little razzle dazzle.

So that with the high shooting percentage had me thinking he was heading for a 14 goal, 30 point sophomore season.

Last night he patiently walks across the slot and puts the puck in when he feels it has the best chance to go. Later he takes the line, puts on the breaks and feathers a puck across to Hudler for the go ahead goal.

Different player. And why I'm not a scout!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #263
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

So crazy for a team to go 10 years looking for a center to play with Iginla, then have two in 13 months.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #264
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree that it's awesome we have a two-headed monster with Bennett and Mony now. I think Monahan is a #1 center if not now then in the very near future, and Bennett SHOULD end up the same way. Having two #1 centers on the first two lines and a #2 in Backlund on the third line? I wish good luck to opposing teams with that.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #265
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Take the petty bickering to PM.

Normally I'd agree with you, but WAYCOS deserves a public shaming. His posts are pure garbage.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #266
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Backlund is no slouch either.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #267
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Jooris and Jankowski say hi. There's also Colborne. 6 centreman, not bad considering we had Camalleri playing as our #1 not long ago.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #268
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Jooris and Jankowski say hi. There's also Colborne. 6 centreman, not bad considering we had Camalleri playing as our #1 not long ago.
Yeah, the center depth on this team and in the farm is insanity. It's good to have a surplus with centers in the case of the inevitably that some players just don't pan out, and you can also use centers on the wings. Colborne does better on the wing than he does as a C imo, and Jooris is that utility guy where he can basically be slotted anywhere in the bottom 9 (bottom 6 being the sweet spot) and fulfill his role. Bouma and Byron are also officially listed as centers, no? But I've seen them everywhere.

And then you have to account for the farm and let's see here, Reinhart, Arnold, Granlund, Janko... it actually sorta makes me disappointed we can't use all of them down the middle. It's a great problem to have

Edit: forgot Shore!!! See what I mean?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #269
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
And Shore. And Arnold. And Granlund. (in no particular order)
Old 03-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #270
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Center depth is key, if too many stick you can easily shift them to the wing. Guys like Granlund, Jooris, Colborne can play both now. If guys like Arnold, Jankowski etc make it, it might be as wingers.

Ferland, Klimchuk and Poirier are good prospects but you'd have a hard time trying to convert them to the middle.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #271
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamRyan View Post
What a win!! Clutch. Watching the Fox Red Wings feed and they absolutely cannot handle it. Great job boys.
I can't stand Mickey Redmond's color work. Db.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #272
DynamRyan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I can't stand Mickey Redmond's color work. Db.

THAT's who it is. Thank you. I missed their names at the beginning of the broadcast. Good lord., he is awful. Commentator is great; though.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #273
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So Edmonton had the ability to claim Schlemko on waivers before Calgary did right? Was MacTavish just asleep at his desk? Young-ish defenceman that can be had for nothing who can play solid minutes should have been exactly what he was looking for. Instead he passes, Calgary claims him, and he fits right into the top 6 of a playoff contending team

MacT really is the worst GM in the league
Yes but that would have improved the Oilers which goes against the geniuses masterplan. They just want a team of #1 overall picks. And why wouldn't they? The plan has been working so good so far. ROFL!!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #274
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Just noticed this:
Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #275
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

People were baiting Where ru Chris O'Sullivan in this thread pretty badly. I kind of feel sorry for him.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #276
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So crazy for a team to go 10 years looking for a center to play with Iginla, then have two in 13 months.
And that's exactly why sucking for a few years and drafting high is still the best strategy for building a winner. You can struggle for decades, trying to trade for one, or looking for the needle-in-a-haystack Getzlaf or Giroux later in the 1st round...but at the end of the day nothing comes close to just having high draft picks. There are no guarantees of course (and Bennett has yet to play an NHL game so we need to be cautious) but the formula for finding a #1 centre isn't necessarily complicated.

Last edited by Table 5; 03-07-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #277
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
People were baiting Where ru Chris O'Sullivan in this thread pretty badly. I kind of feel sorry for him.
That's an accomplished art by some people on here... and its always the same people over and over again.

Now they'll go and carve another notch on their bed posts and feel pleased with themselves.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #278
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Guys don't discuss banned posters or why they were banned. They aren't here to defend themselves so it isn't really fair. Plus - I'm sure most of our visitors really don't care.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #279
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
This is true. But I also think that one of the reasons that finding a centre for Iginla was so hard is that he was at tough fit for your standard playmaking centre. I always thought Iginla wanted the puck far more than he should - he wasn't content just being the trigger man - he wanted the puck.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #280
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Closed Thread