Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, don't like it for 3 reasons.

1) It's already been done, your not original.
2) There was some history about the hockey one. We had been disapointed as a country for 50 years in our sport. Our coin at center ice for our sport actually had a meaning. A loonie in the ground where no actuall event is going on is just stupid.
3) The first one was secret. This is just some stupid chick trying to be cool by burying a loonie.

God get some originality and stop trying to duplicate something that was a really special unique moment for a lot of people.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't really like that. This tradition should be reserved for Hockey.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overdone to the 10th degree.

It was cool once...good call fotze.

That said, I am sure that some geeky guy or gal from the Flames organization had a loonie in the 'Dome ice in Game 6, or TB in Game 7....and then....it would still be not cool.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
Calgary Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was thinking about this too..when is it going to stop??

Lame, lame as hell... that and not alot of people care about the Summer Olympics in Canada... I know I don't... are they over yet?
Calgary Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:55 PM   #5
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it helps our Athletes compete strong I have no problem with the whole Loonie thing. I agree it is getting over used but it gives anyone who’s competing as a Canadian something to rally behind. Until it's lost all its symbolism it will be used so you all should get use to it. :P
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:58 PM   #6
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Agree with the stupidity of it all. In '02 it was a sneaky thing that came to revelation after a huge gold medal win. Then in the World Championships there was a loonie taped under the cross-bar that came to revelation after the big win. But doing it before hand, and publicizing it like this is just stupid.

What would've been cool though, and maybe can still happen, is the Canadian Baseball team putting a loonie under home-plate or something.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

you know... I'd almost hope Canada does really bad now... that way they might think the loonie was to blame and everyone will stop doing this.

It was sort of cool once... now its just plain stupid... lets go bury loonies everywhere, cause hey... you never know, right?

and yeah, I think the loonie is a hockey thing, and I know I really could care less about the Summer Olympics... I'm sorry, but I don't really care if someone took more drugs than someone else and has the "mental discipline" to swim a few laps, its just not the same as a sport like soccer and hockey, and as of now, Olympic soccer is really crappy and if they don't let NHLers in Torino, hockey will be the same... Not a big fan of the winter games either, except for hockey of course.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the positive side it is a loonie and not the usual lucky syrange made popular by Ben Johnson.
________

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 02-15-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:09 PM   #9
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mean Mr. Mustard@Aug 15 2004, 01:24 AM
On the positive side it is a loonie and not the usual lucky syrange made popular by Ben Johnson.
Or the USOC...
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:21 PM   #10
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

all things concidered, it costs $14.95 bucks to buy it!!

http://www.mint.ca/luckyloonie/media_products.asp
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

This is taken from the mints website below:
"At an amateur level, a Vancouver Canucks fan melted a Loonie into GM Place during a shinny rental on March 25th, 2004 and the team went on a win streak of 8-0-1. When NHL team officials removed the Loonie the night before the Canucks were to face the Calgary Flames in the playoffs, the Canucks lost all three home games and the series. Coincidence?"

Now the canucks are blaming the loonie. HAHA.

http://www.mint.ca/luckyloonie/about.asp
Old 08-20-2004, 12:16 PM   #12
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

this type of overdone unoriginal lameness reminds of tourists who put a flag on their backpacks....
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #13
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Table 5@Aug 20 2004, 12:16 PM
this type of overdone unoriginal lameness reminds of tourists who put a flag on their backpacks....
yeah.. like that's a problem. Too many flags on backpacks.

First people say that Canadians have no pride for their country, and now it's lame to show that pride? Good grief.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:18 PM   #14
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by calculoso@Aug 20 2004, 06:24 PM
First people say that Canadians have no pride for their country, and now it's lame to show that pride? Good grief.
people dont do it to show pride, they do it because they are unoriginal trend-followers. these are the same clarinet-playing marching band nerds who once wore those lame poor boy caps that Roots made, think tim hortons ads are something to be proud of, and think because they have the flag on their backpacks they, they will meet new lifelong friends in some far away country because of it.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:04 PM   #15
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever you say, Mr. Know-it-all. You know exactly what every person in the world with a flag on their backpack is thinking. Nice to have that ability. Nice of you to jump to conclusions. Nice of you to think that everyone who does a particular action only does so because they are sheep. How rebelious of you.

The fact is that you don't know. When I go away and if I choose to put a flag on my backpack or suitcase or whatever, I do it because I'm proud to be Canadian. Nothing else. If that leads to something else, such as making friends in another country, then that's an added benefit.

This is just another case of Table 5 finding something lame and judging everyone in the world because of it. Lay off man.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:12 PM   #16
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

haha, i knew it. you got your panties in a knot because you put a backpack on your flag dont you?
Old 08-20-2004, 03:44 PM   #17
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a matter of fact, I've only ever put my flag on my suitcase once. (I don't have a flag big enough to put a backpack on it)

That said, I've seen it a bunch and absolutely love it. It's not lame at all, as you contend.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:00 PM   #18
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Call me redneck, but whenever I travel I have an Alberta flag on my pack. I guess I'm more proud of the fact I'm Albertan than anything else (has anyone seen dem keys to my pick up?? Cletus lost em agin)

As far as CDN flags go, I've found it doesn't really matter what nationality you are or what flag is on your pack (nor do I care if people do it), but if you're a dick you're a dick. Being Canadian won't change that.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:35 AM   #19
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let em keep burying em.

One day with me and my shovel, and I have enough money for a night on the town! Like digging for treasure.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:59 AM   #20
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by plett22@Aug 20 2004, 10:00 PM
Call me redneck, but whenever I travel I have an Alberta flag on my pack. I guess I'm more proud of the fact I'm Albertan than anything else (has anyone seen dem keys to my pick up?? Cletus lost em agin)

As far as CDN flags go, I've found it doesn't really matter what nationality you are or what flag is on your pack (nor do I care if people do it), but if you're a dick you're a dick. Being Canadian won't change that.
Yeah I feel that.

I personally am proud of being Canadian, but more proud with being an Albertan, I rock the "alberta flag license plate" on the front on my car.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote