Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #2481
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nvm
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #2482
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boom. That was fun. Some crazy upsets this weekend with the Bengals and Jets both winning.

The score flattered the Steelers. If it wasn’t for some acrobatics from mapletron on a WR screen and some very fortunate calls, the Steelers would’ve been lucky to score at all.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #2483
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
In a league where way too many defensive PI flags are thrown is the ####ty MNF crew really going to call for another PI?
It was PI though...they aren't wrong.

I love it however....hate the Steelers.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #2484
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That is still quite unlikely for the Browns. Would be better for Cleveland if the last game means nothing for Pittsburgh.
It's guaranteed to mean something for Pittsburgh, Buffalo is now the #2 seed so Pittsburgh will need to win week 17 either way.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #2485
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It was PI though...they aren't wrong.

I love it however....hate the Steelers.
I’ll disagree on the PI call seemed like a fair play. Claypool had to come back. Changes things.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:32 AM   #2486
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

So...if the Browns somehow pull out that Division title, that would be the Bills, Browns and Chiefs all winning their division in the same year. That would have been unfathomable 4-5 years ago! (Chiefs recent success notwithstanding)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #2487
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
So...if the Browns somehow pull out that Division title, that would be the Bills, Browns and Chiefs all winning their division in the same year. That would have been unfathomable 4-5 years ago! (Chiefs recent success notwithstanding)
It's good to see a shift in the balance of power in the league as it gets a little stale watching the same teams win divisions every year. Chiefs are in their prime as this is the last season Mahomes will only have a $5 million cap hit. Some good starting players are going to be cut to make up for the extra $20 million in 2021, $30 million in 2022 and almost $40 million in 2023.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #2488
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's guaranteed to mean something for Pittsburgh, Buffalo is now the #2 seed so Pittsburgh will need to win week 17 either way.
If Colts beat the Steelers, Bills will get #2 seed with one more win. But then, AFC North will be on the line if Browns beat Jets.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #2489
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Don't forget the Titans. Heck even in the middle of last year if you told me they would be in a position to win the division and be the highest scoring team in the league I would have asked what you were smoking.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #2490
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's good to see a shift in the balance of power in the league as it gets a little stale watching the same teams win divisions every year. Chiefs are in their prime as this is the last season Mahomes will only have a $5 million cap hit. Some good starting players are going to be cut to make up for the extra $20 million in 2021, $30 million in 2022 and almost $40 million in 2023.
Yeah, after this year the Chiefs are going to need to do a bit of a retool and it's likely 2-3 years until they'll . The compressed cap is going to hit them pretty hard. Somehow Frank Clark made the probowl despite the fact that he's the first guy they should cut...but his contract makes that unlikely in the next two years.

Next year is probably going to be Buffalo's best chance to win as Allen will be in line for huge money. Similar with Baltimore and Lamar.

I'd look to teams like Miami, Arizona, and the Chargers as teams to win in the next 2-3 years because they'll have inexpensive QB's who can play at a high level which allows the team to build up around the QB.

Even guys like Rogers, Brees, and Wilson can't seem to overcome their own salary's and get their teams to the Superbowl after getting the big money. So that elite QB keeps you near the top of the food chain, but it does seem to be hard to get to the top of it with that guy making that much money.

With how good young guys are playing now, I wonder if teams will be as excited for older guys like Carr, Rivers, Stafford, and Ryan. At this point those guys all have limited upside and are going to cost a fair bit of money. Even if you are a win now type of team can any of those guys with their salary expectations get it done? I'd say that's a pretty hard no.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #2491
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cap is kinda overrated as a way to stop a team. I mean I've been hearing for the past half decade at least that the Saints are going to be in cap hell "soon", and yet they've been able to continuously kick the can, while fielding a top 5 team basically the entire time. Yes they will likely take their bath once Brees retires and they'll be a 2-14 team but...that's a great way to get a franchise QB to help rebuild quickly. There are lots of tools a good GM can use to manipulate the cap. Hell even this offseason everyone wondered how the Chiefs would bring everyone back, but they did.

The rookie QB contract is nice in that it opens up a window of hyper-aggressiveness in team building because you can afford it. But the Chiefs having to lose Frank Clark and Sammy Watkins and Tyrann Mathieu and others is fine, because you can replace those guys. You can't replace Mahomes or Rodgers, and they can single handily elevate a mediocre team to Super Bowl contenders. QB is still so far and away the most important position that you'd always rather have the problem of making the cap work with a $40 million QB than hoping to find a good enough QB on a rookie deal.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #2492
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The cap is kinda overrated as a way to stop a team. I mean I've been hearing for the past half decade at least that the Saints are going to be in cap hell "soon", and yet they've been able to continuously kick the can, while fielding a top 5 team basically the entire time. Yes they will likely take their bath once Brees retires and they'll be a 2-14 team but...that's a great way to get a franchise QB to help rebuild quickly. There are lots of tools a good GM can use to manipulate the cap. Hell even this offseason everyone wondered how the Chiefs would bring everyone back, but they did.

The rookie QB contract is nice in that it opens up a window of hyper-aggressiveness in team building because you can afford it. But the Chiefs having to lose Frank Clark and Sammy Watkins and Tyrann Mathieu and others is fine, because you can replace those guys. You can't replace Mahomes or Rodgers, and they can single handily elevate a mediocre team to Super Bowl contenders. QB is still so far and away the most important position that you'd always rather have the problem of making the cap work with a $40 million QB than hoping to find a good enough QB on a rookie deal.
I have to agree with this. Look at Chiefs getting Bell for pennies. Plus they still have their picks and decent scouting department to find players.

Mahomes can mask many other problems. They can have an average defence cuz the offence can score at will. Losing Watkins lets a guy like Hardman to become a legit threat, plus they'll get vets chasing a ring for cheap. Chiefs will be the team to beat as long as Patrick is healthy. Plus he can get you the Patrick price.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #2493
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is that guys as good as Rogers, Brees, and Wilson have not been to the Superbowl since getting the real fat contract. Rogers sat behind Farve for years and was on a mid tier contract paying him 10 millionish a year when he won the Superbowl with Green Bay. After his extension in 2013 they haven't been back. They can get to a championship game, but can't push thru yet.

Bree's was a free agent but didn't get absurd money due to the shoulder injury and was about 10 million a year when he won with the Saints. Same with Russel Wilson ever since the rookie deal was up, they can't get past the Division round. Wilson was the first half MVP this year, and Rogers should win the award, and Brees prior to the past two years was in the MVP conversation so they've all played really well, but their teams can't push thru the Championship game barrier.

It's not like these guys have had to get thru Manning and Brady in the playoffs either. In the case of the Saints they did get hosed two years ago, but that's three guys who rate among the best at their position and a combined 24 years since they last made a Superbowl. We'll see if it changes this year, but if say Tampa get's there, Brady is well paid, but at 25 million a year he's more in that mid tier non rookie pay grade.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #2494
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I don't dislike Collinsworth. I just think he's the epitome of average
I don't care. he called this so he'll always be my hero.

"I can't believe the (play) call, "You have Marshawn Lynch. You have a guy who's been borderline unstoppable. ... If I lose this Super Bowl because Marshawn Lynch can't get into the end zone, so be it. SO BE IT!!! I can't believe the call.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #2495
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I have to agree with this. Look at Chiefs getting Bell for pennies. Plus they still have their picks and decent scouting department to find players.

Mahomes can mask many other problems. They can have an average defence cuz the offence can score at will. Losing Watkins lets a guy like Hardman to become a legit threat, plus they'll get vets chasing a ring for cheap. Chiefs will be the team to beat as long as Patrick is healthy. Plus he can get you the Patrick price.
I do think that the Chiefs likely will be able to get some one year value contracts for older guys who are past their prime but aren't finished. So combine that with drafting and I think they will continue to be a good team. Even the Patriot's had a couple of 2-3 year cycle's where they had to retool the team to get back to being a championship calibre team. So I expect after this year, the Chiefs might need to build up some picks in the next couple years at which point they'll need to turn over from guys like Kelce and Hill to new pieces to work with Mahomes. If Patrick is healthy they should be a playoff team, and will always be a threat. But for a team like Buffalo, this year and next year are probably your best chance to win.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #2496
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’m a closet J. Allen fan so I love to see it!
No need to be in the closet. Wear it proudly! Allen is the man!

I knew it from the first season watching him to be honest.

People talk about his improved accuracy but a lot is his receivers too.

Diggs, Beasley and Brown. Look who he had his first year. Kelvin Benjamin was a drop machine. Zay Jones was their best WR.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #2497
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Also, Josh Allen after having the 2nd touchdown in the same drive called back on a penalty.

"How many time we gotta score" I didn't know Josh Allen did the voice of the pimple-faced teenager on The Simpsons. The kid is truly talented!

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #2498
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Insane stat of the day

https://twitter.com/user/status/1342108073654149129
Old 12-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #2499
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another insane stat of the day.......not bad for a "game manager"

https://twitter.com/user/status/1341095632602329090
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #2500
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure Chiefs fans are crushed and wish they could do a Tannehill for Mahomes swap straight up, and Titans fans would of course laugh and refuse such a trade.

Tags
covid xix